Log in:  

Register

Post AC - who to cheer for?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Now that Contador has retired, in which rider should I emoti

Landa - strong climber, hints of panache, AC-approved, team leader next year
26
26%
Quintana - surely he'll return to form and beat Froome via attacks in style, right?
5
5%
Chavito
9
9%
Superman Lopez
14
14%
Zakarin
4
4%
Dumoulin - took a dump and won the Giro but a bit like Froome 2.0
14
14%
Nibali - a bit like becoming a Contador fane in April 2015
11
11%
Mas - play the long game
11
11%
Aru - that pain face though
3
3%
Bardet - openly admitted he's not willing to put in the work to excel at the TT - not exactly the attitude of el campeon
4
4%
 
Total votes : 101

Post AC - who to cheer for?

11 Sep 2017 18:09

I need some help. Now that AC has retired, in which rider should I emotionally overinvest?

Edited for options that should have been included from the beginning.
Last edited by VayaVayaVaya on 11 Sep 2017 18:56, edited 3 times in total.
VayaVayaVaya
Junior Member
 
Posts: 153
Joined: 01 Jun 2015 13:45

11 Sep 2017 18:12

In the current peloton, no one comes close to contador's charisma. But I would definately support for landa and aru
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,574
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

Re: Post AC - who to cheer for?

11 Sep 2017 18:19

Other: you get to make up your own opinion now.
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours
Member
 
Posts: 412
Joined: 23 Mar 2010 05:39

11 Sep 2017 18:20

Out of the list, I will mainly support Aru, Dumoulin, Chavito, Zakarin and Mas, but of course they were already among my favorites.
Last edited by LaFlorecita on 11 Sep 2017 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,010
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

11 Sep 2017 18:22

I think i might go over to zakarin. Very attackive rider.
Frankschleck
Junior Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: 17 Jul 2016 20:10

11 Sep 2017 18:27

Enric Mas, obviously.
I am a fan of Nibali but I think he only has 1 more season on a good level. I like Aru and Landa but not as much as Mas and Nibali.
Oh, I forgot Zakarin. I put him with Nibali and ahead of Aru/Landa.
So:
Mas
Nibali-Zakarin
Aru-Landa
Last edited by Forever The Best on 11 Sep 2017 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Forever The Best
Member
 
Posts: 1,733
Joined: 15 Apr 2016 16:10

Re:

11 Sep 2017 18:28

Frankschleck wrote:I think i might go over to zakarin. Very attackive rider.


Well, in the last km anyway..
hazaran
Junior Member
 
Posts: 182
Joined: 14 Jul 2015 00:37

11 Sep 2017 18:28

Betancur.
tristecsinamigos
Junior Member
 
Posts: 115
Joined: 27 May 2014 22:01

11 Sep 2017 18:31

All of them. Why limit yourself to only cheer for one (or a few) guy(s)? Some completely unknown guy might do something that'll make you jump around, shouting at the screen.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,945
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

11 Sep 2017 18:35

GT riders for me:

Dumolin, Landa, Mas, Chaves and Miguel Ángel López.
I like Bardet, Michael Woods and Dan Martin too.
User avatar jyhjyh
Member
 
Posts: 305
Joined: 10 Oct 2011 10:25

11 Sep 2017 18:42

Can't be anybody who doesn't have the support of Flo. Serious indicator for bandwagon potential.

That said

Red Rick wrote:The Sky Train will not last
Against the might Enric Mas
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,531
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

11 Sep 2017 18:42

No Lopez option?
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,218
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

11 Sep 2017 18:45

In all realzies though, a healthy mix of aging stars, cool riders near their peaks, and young up and comers

I'm onto Nibali, Dumoulin, Landa, Mas and Gaudu. To a lesser extent Zakarin, Chaves and Oomen.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,531
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: Post AC - who to cheer for?

11 Sep 2017 18:50

Becoming a Nibali fan now would be like becoming a Contador fan in April 2015? Well guess what, I became a Contador fan in 2016 :o

Anyway, there are a few riders in this list I'll root for. I like Dumoulin but I think as soon as another really aggressive climber who doesn't depend on his TT rides against him I'd rather root for the climber since he is probably more entertaining to watch. Therefore I'll mainly root for Nibali (although I've been a big Nibali fan for way longer than I've been a Contador fan), Landa (because the guy attacks and isn't afraid of attacking from far out) and Mas for the future, although I fear he won't be tdf winner material, but rather a typical top ten finisher who might get a podium or even a win, but will most likely not be the next dominator, considering other riders his age look more talented.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,007
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Post AC - who to cheer for?

11 Sep 2017 18:51

I don't get, why Landa is here and what kind of hints of panache he has. I personally don't see that. For me he's another Oscar Sevilla/Iban Mayo. For now, i'm cheering for Lopez and Bernal (after he did a Pantani on the easy side of Saises), but it might change in the future. I have a bad score, when it comes to prediciton. Still remember, when i was an Andy Schleck fanboy in 2007 Giro... Hope, none of the guys have a riding brother ;) .
railxmig
Junior Member
 
Posts: 223
Joined: 19 Oct 2015 08:38

11 Sep 2017 18:54

Tonton will not be happy with poll
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,281
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

Re: Post AC - who to cheer for?

11 Sep 2017 19:01

Gigs_98 wrote:Becoming a Nibali fan now would be like becoming a Contador fan in April 2015? Well guess what, I became a Contador fan in 2016 :o

Anyway, there are a few riders in this list I'll root for. I like Dumoulin but I think as soon as another really aggressive climber who doesn't depend on his TT rides against him I'd rather root for the climber since he is probably more entertaining to watch. Therefore I'll mainly root for Nibali (although I've been a big Nibali fan for way longer than I've been a Contador fan), Landa (because the guy attacks and isn't afraid of attacking from far out) and Mas for the future, although I fear he won't be tdf winner material, but rather a typical top ten finisher who might get a podium or even a win, but will most likely not be the next dominator, considering other riders his age look more talented.

I think the level at 22 and earlier can be a bit deceptive. You don't know when riders reach a ceiling. I expect Bernal and Gaudu to hit their prime early.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,531
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

11 Sep 2017 19:03

Nibali has been my #2 since 2010 so now he is #1. Bala was #3 so now he's #2. Both are getting long in the tooth :(
Mas and MAL are possibilities for the future, but fandom is emotional and I'm not yet in love.
Landa is also a future possibility, but he has to leave Sky for any consideration!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,792
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

Re:

11 Sep 2017 19:04

Carols wrote:Nibali has been my #2 since 2010 so now he is #1. Bala was #3 so now he's #2. Both are getting long in the tooth :(
Mas and MAL are possibilities for the future, but fandom is emotional and I'm not yet in love.
Landa is also a future possibility, but he has to leave Sky for any consideration!

Landa has been confirmed for Movistar.
Movistar has been confirmed for bright blue jerseys next year.

Flashbacks to 2015.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,531
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

11 Sep 2017 19:06

Anyone but Froome.
Durden93
Junior Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 06 Sep 2016 19:16

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: frisenfruitig, Googolplex, jarvo, jflemaire, jsem94, King Boonen, Maaaaaaaarten, mariposa, mikii4567, Parker, silvergrenade, StephenC2020, valentius borealis and 83 guests

Back to top