Register

Post AC - who to cheer for?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Now that Contador has retired, in which rider should I emoti

Landa - strong climber, hints of panache, AC-approved, team leader next year
26%
Quintana - surely he'll return to form and beat Froome via attacks in style, right?
5%
Chavito
9%
Superman Lopez
14%
Zakarin
4%
Dumoulin - took a dump and won the Giro but a bit like Froome 2.0
14%
Nibali - a bit like becoming a Contador fane in April 2015
11%
Mas - play the long game
11%
Aru - that pain face though
3%
Bardet - openly admitted he's not willing to put in the work to excel at the TT - not exactly the attitude of el campeon
4%

Total votes : 101

11 Sep 2017 20:45

Chavito good pick since he has panache as well and is very likeable. But I still insist on Mas :p
Forever The Best

11 Sep 2017 20:51

I went with Mas, but there are a few up and comers with potential, like he and Bol.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

Re: Post AC - who to cheer for?

11 Sep 2017 22:09

Landa and Barguil
Alice
Newly Registered Member

Re:

12 Sep 2017 01:21

Durden93 wrote:Anyone but Froome.

This is where I'm at right now. I do like other riders. Chaves, Aru, Pinot, and others. But....I'm not gonna just expect someone to take the place of AC. I'm not gonna force it. I didn't have to try and like AC. I just fell in love with him and the way he raced. I'll just wait for it to happen organically. (that sounds dumb :D )
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

12 Sep 2017 01:45

hrotha wrote:Anyway, Chaves is the only one from that list who might qualify, if it's proper panache we're looking for. I've always been more of a Nibali fan but that side of his seems to be done.

Nibali didn't have too much legs/or terrain to do much more. And by terrain I mean terrain that suits him.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re: Re:

12 Sep 2017 04:00

Hmmm...I know he rides for Sky, but if he makes the step to becoming a GC GT rider, then maybe Kwiatkowski?

I don't really have anyone now (unlucky in love :D ). I don't mind Kreuzinger, but he seems just about finished.
User avatar gregrowlerson

12 Sep 2017 05:02

To clarify, while I don't own this thread and there are many of us in the same position, since some seem to think my intentions are misguided, I'll clarify. I'm not looking for a replacement for AC; I'm looking for a new rider that will inspire me to get up early to wade through streams looking for one that works, someone to get me so jacked up I hit the canyon climb a second or third time in a row. Of course I'll continue watching a continue routing for various riders and be open to anyone's heroics. I confess to even having cheered for Froome in in the 2012 Tour and when he attacked on the descent in 2015 and attacked with Sagan again in 2015. But I like protagonist-centered drama, and, again, I'm looking for a new protagonist to over-invest in.

I'm leaning Landa or MAL. I already like them. I love Nibali too but I think my fandom has fully matured at this point barring something amazing.
Last edited by VayaVayaVaya on 12 Sep 2017 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
VayaVayaVaya

12 Sep 2017 05:10

I will be supporting Quintana and Aru. If Quintana is in peak form then he is quite exciting to watch. One of the few if not the only rider I think that can beat sky train alone on steeper climbs.
RattaKuningas

12 Sep 2017 05:37

Nibali and Quintana are already two of my favourite riders.

I'll suport the Colombians, Lopez,Chaves & Bernal (Even though he rides for Sky).

Gaudu as well.
User avatar the asian

12 Sep 2017 06:43

I don't think I know yet. I'm neutral to most big GT GC names now, although maybe I prefer some to others.
If Barguil or Fernandez can show some competence in leading in near future, they are my horses, I like them but I can understand they're not qualified as worthy options here. Mas needs to show me more of his traits.
User avatar gunara

Re:

12 Sep 2017 07:36

the asian wrote:Nibali and Quintana are already two of my favourite riders.

I'll suport the Colombians, Lopez,Chaves & Bernal (Even though he rides for Sky).

Gaudu as well.

I think saying you root for bernal and gaudu might sound a lot like rooting for contador and froome in the future :D
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re:

12 Sep 2017 07:42

the asian wrote:Nibali and Quintana are already two of my favourite riders.

I'll suport the Colombians, Lopez, Chaves & Bernal (Even though he rides for Sky).

Gaudu as well.

Same here. I have found my soulmate. :D
User avatar fauniera

Re:

12 Sep 2017 07:46

GraftPunk wrote:I went with Mas, but there are a few up and comers with potential, like he and Bol.

Bol as in.... Jetse Bol?
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

12 Sep 2017 07:51

LaFlorecita wrote:Out of the list, I will mainly support Aru, Dumoulin, Chavito, Zakarin and Mas, but of course they were already among my favorites.

Mathieu !!!!!! ;)
Echoes

12 Sep 2017 07:57

I'm a fan of cycling, so I like most of the riders in the peloton. Then, depending on different factors, I cheer for one or more of them during a specific race. Among the riders mentioned, I normally root for Chaves, Dumoulin, Nibali, Superman and Mas (who gets my vote being so young and the only one with a slight chance of becoming Contador's heir).

Other GC riders I root for: Kruijskwijk, Formolo, Pinot and Jungels. I have mixed feelings for Landa, Bardet and Zakarin, but find myself cheering for them in most cases, since they are attacking riders. For the future I have big hopes for Ciccone.

I'm assuming we're only talking about GC riders because there would be like a million more if we include classic riders and domestiques.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

12 Sep 2017 08:01

There is an advantage though. We can spend more time on our bikes instead of watching hours of useless television, listening to clueless commentators, wasting heaps of precious time, waiting for those last 3km warriors to maybe (!) pull off something only in the very end of the stage (or classic, once Phil the Great retires). Just go up the road yourselves, imagine you're training or racing like Alberto.

Vamos grandes contadoristas!
Pennino

12 Sep 2017 08:09

In the beginning I wasn't a Contador fan, because he was from the wrong team. However he gradually won my respect by showing his individuality and will power.

The three main candidates are the Colombian climbers Quintana, Lopez and Chaves. I like Aru and Bardet as well. Whoever shows the best progression between them next year will have my support. I always like the individual climbers. Quintana disappointed this year, but his Vuelta win is only a year ago, so I still voted for him. I would love to see any of these riders do the impossible and beat the Sky train at the Tour.

Landa? No way. Signing for Sky is like selling your soul to the Devil. It will take a lot from him to regain my sympathy.
La fatica in montagna per me è poesia (Fatigue in the mountains is poetry to me) - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kunt ge geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere
User avatar Pantani_lives

12 Sep 2017 08:33

You can also add the super young guys to the mix like Bernal and Gaudu, they are already producing big results now and has 'that' which Contador also add. Obviously Bernal signed for Sky so there's that. I obviously also have to throw Marc Soler in the mix, lets see if my hype pays off, but I genuinely think he will be a big thing. He will ride a season in the shadows of his leaders in 18 tho. Then there's the dark side of Pinot and Tonton, I wouldn't recommend anyone in their right mind to join that mess. :D
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

12 Sep 2017 08:55

Nibali. Whenever nibs is done i ll root for landa.
Lo squalo di messina

Re:

12 Sep 2017 08:57

Valv.Piti wrote:I obviously also have to throw Marc Soler in the mix, lets see if my hype pays off, but I genuinely think he will be a big thing.

I expected more of him in the Vuelta, a stage win or a top 10. But he will only turn 24 in November and he was in several breakaways, so he has potential.
La fatica in montagna per me è poesia (Fatigue in the mountains is poetry to me) - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kunt ge geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere
User avatar Pantani_lives

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing