Log in:  

Register

Vuelta a España 2018 Rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

15 Sep 2017 22:12

Asturiano wrote:Asturias agin (the Spanish Paradise), yes it's for cycling:

Image
Image
Image


It's Cueves :)
alexcta
Junior Member
 
Posts: 110
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 20:42

Re:

15 Sep 2017 22:15

Asturiano wrote:Asturias again:

Image
Image
Image


The first draft of la Vuelta 2016 included Casielles but for space reasons la Vuelta had got a stage in Lagos instead Casielles
alexcta
Junior Member
 
Posts: 110
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 20:42

Re:

15 Sep 2017 22:17

Red Rick wrote:So Gamoniteiro is never gonna happen?


I know the Gamoniteiro because i live near the climb . There aren't enough space in the final but i think that if la Vuelta REALLY wants the Gamoniteiro in his race , they will get the Gamoniteiro in the race
alexcta
Junior Member
 
Posts: 110
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 20:42

Re: Re:

15 Sep 2017 22:23


I know the Gamoniteiro because i live near the climb . There aren't enough space in the final but i think that if la Vuelta REALLY wants the Gamoniteiro in his race , they will get the Gamoniteiro in the race


Guillen answered me he thought Gamoniteiru would be something very impressive for La Vuelta but he didn't know they way he could find enough space at the top.

For me, Gamoniteiru is Angliru's brother.
Asturiano
Member
 
Posts: 343
Joined: 31 Aug 2012 11:46

Re:

15 Sep 2017 22:55

Asturiano wrote:Asturias agin (the Spanish Paradise), yes it's for cycling:

Image
Image
Image

Is this just a far fetched wish or is this a serious rumour? Because as cool as it looks I can't really imagine this is serious
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,087
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

15 Sep 2017 23:44

remind the impossibility to broadcast live images inside tunnels, no matter how beautiful they are

the only way to make this possible for live tv transmission, is with standing cameras. and that would implie, a duplicate of resourses (that usually are on the finish line), that I dont know it would be feasible
FilipeFD
Junior Member
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 30 Dec 2015 17:20
Location: Portugal

16 Sep 2017 05:56

I want to see that tunnel. That looks amazing
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,856
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: Re:

16 Sep 2017 07:36

Gigs_98 wrote:
Asturiano wrote:Asturias agin (the Spanish Paradise), yes it's for cycling:

Image
Image
Image

Is this just a far fetched wish or is this a serious rumour? Because as cool as it looks I can't really imagine this is serious

I doubt very much it will ever happen. The caves lead immediately to a tiny village which is a dead end. So the caves would have to host the sprint finish. :eek: It's also not really as impressive or spectacular as those photos suggest - it's only 200m long, so definitely not worth designing a stage around.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,242
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

Re: Re:

16 Sep 2017 13:15

DFA123 wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:
Asturiano wrote:Asturias agin (the Spanish Paradise), yes it's for cycling:

Image
Image
Image

Is this just a far fetched wish or is this a serious rumour? Because as cool as it looks I can't really imagine this is serious

I doubt very much it will ever happen. The caves lead immediately to a tiny village which is a dead end. So the caves would have to host the sprint finish. :eek: It's also not really as impressive or spectacular as those photos suggest - it's only 200m long, so definitely not worth designing a stage around.


It's as impressive as it looks like. It's more tan 200 metres.

I think it would be a good departure, not for a sprint finish with RELLY good and better options for the finish like Covadong and Casielles (if you could make a final there).

The cave called La Cuevona is in Ribadesella, in 70 kms you can put all the climbs
Image
There are many climbs to choose over there, if you want a final stage design in Covadonga.
Image
Image
Asturiano
Member
 
Posts: 343
Joined: 31 Aug 2012 11:46

16 Sep 2017 18:33

More old news. This one from December last year!

The Vuelta 2018 will visit Galicia. In the short audio clip Guillén talks about discovering new places.

http://cadenaser.com/emisora/2016/12/26/radio_pontevedra/1482768693_215440.html

I fear we'll have 3/4 stages with some familiar finishes.
ice&fire
Member
 
Posts: 1,022
Joined: 01 Jul 2015 19:30

16 Sep 2017 19:50

Gamonitero is probably the climb I'd choose if I was given the opportunity to pick a climb for a competitive race. Its in the league of modern legends such as Mortirolo, Angliru and Zoncolan. One could even argue it'd be the hardest of all those climbs, altho I still think that title belongs to Zoncolan. Such a beast! I'd still take a Fauniera - Sampeyre combo tho...
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,356
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

16 Sep 2017 19:58

FilipeFD wrote:remind the impossibility to broadcast live images inside tunnels, no matter how beautiful they are

the only way to make this possible for live tv transmission, is with standing cameras. and that would implie, a duplicate of resourses (that usually are on the finish line), that I dont know it would be feasible


They somehow managed at the Tour de Suisse...
Just kidnap the Swiss media people and force them to do their trick. Or, maybe just ask them nicely.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,108
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

18 Sep 2017 20:09

The amount of old news seems to be endless. The village of Sabero proposed one year ago to host another stage finish at la Camperona in 2018. The text also mentions that the province of Bizkaia wanted to host another mountain stage.

http://www.diariodeleon.es/noticias/deportes/camperona-mira-vuelta-2018_1097212.html
ice&fire
Member
 
Posts: 1,022
Joined: 01 Jul 2015 19:30

Re: Vuelta a España 2018 Rumours

19 Sep 2017 08:56

The alcaide of Marbella has announced that the city will host the start or finish of a stage:
https://twitter.com/AngelesMunoz_/status/903297223118774273

The city is located at 37km south-west of Málaga. From this it becomes probable that the city will be part of the 2nd stage and that the Vuelta will go West after leaving Málaga and then North, going through Extremadura and Castilla till the beggining of the second week.
The Pyrenees will be either on the thrid week or out of the race in this edition.

The year of 2006 was the last time the race direction was this, at the time the start city was also Málaga.
Here is a map:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Vuelta-a-Espana-2006.png
jfazendeiro
New Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 08 Aug 2017 17:33

21 Sep 2017 07:00

La Camperona is almost a done deal.
http://www.leonoticias.com/deportes/ciclismo/vuelta-volvera-camperona-20170918121537-nt.html

According to the link there's also interest in the region of León to promote their northeastern mountains and they mention Puerto de Tarna. The problem with Tarna and similar climbs in that area such as el Pontón or San Glorio is that they're too easy from León and not every well connected with other climbs.
San Glorio from Cantabria can be brutal as we saw in 2014, but then it was 70kms away from the finish at La Camperona. San Glorio followed by the easier but closer Pandetrave and a descent finish at the Leonese side of Picos de Europa in Valdeón could be interesting. But as the route seems to turn clockwise I can't see it happening next year.
ice&fire
Member
 
Posts: 1,022
Joined: 01 Jul 2015 19:30

Re:

21 Sep 2017 07:27

ice&fire wrote:La Camperona is almost a done deal.
http://www.leonoticias.com/deportes/ciclismo/vuelta-volvera-camperona-20170918121537-nt.html

According to the link there's also interest in the region of León to promote their northeastern mountains and they mention Puerto de Tarna. The problem with Tarna and similar climbs in that area such as el Pontón or San Glorio is that they're too easy from León and not every well connected with other climbs.
San Glorio from Cantabria can be brutal as we saw in 2014, but then it was 70kms away from the finish at La Camperona. San Glorio followed by the easier but closer Pandetrave and a descent finish at the Leonese side of Picos de Europa in Valdeón could be interesting. But as the route seems to turn clockwise I can't see it happening next year.

Absolutely brilliant.

Other climbs rumored are:

Mirador de Ezaro
Pena Cabarga
Formigal
Peyragudes (preferrably preceded by the Tourmalet)
Lagos de Covadonga
Naranco
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,856
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

21 Sep 2017 12:39

To be fair, most rumours are pointing to no Pyrenees in the race, so I'd drop two from your list. I'll give you another hint: Guillén has reportedly said that climbs like Angliru and Los Machucos are unique but he considers that they should be used once every 4 years or so. Look for climbs that were last used in 2014 ;)
ice&fire
Member
 
Posts: 1,022
Joined: 01 Jul 2015 19:30

21 Sep 2017 12:46

Think enough time has passed for the return of Cuitu Negru honestly.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,856
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

21 Sep 2017 13:12

looking at the route of 2018 World Championships, maybe Vuelta should design a route to atract sprinters and medium mountain riders, as they have no chance in WC, and probably wont skip vuelta as the been doing. on the reverse, maybe is the only chance some GC riders have to win the rainbow jersey, and there is a chance the wont make Vuelta to focus on WC
FilipeFD
Junior Member
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 30 Dec 2015 17:20
Location: Portugal

Re:

21 Sep 2017 15:00

Red Rick wrote:Think enough time has passed for the return of Cuitu Negru honestly.

Just like Bola del Mundo last used in 2012 and I still find that surprising. And because someone mentioned 2014, it's actually surprising that some of the climbs from back then haven't returned, with Puerto de Ancares and La Farrapona being the two most obvious examples. The strange thing about the Vuelta is that the only climbs the race really overuses are short steep mtf's like La Camperona, Peña Cabarga, Cumbre del Sol,... and ofc Lagos de Covadonga. But the really famous big mountain top finishes aren't any more overused than climbs in the giro or the tour. That said, I still wish they would use an even bigger variety of climbs.

FilipeFD wrote:looking at the route of 2018 World Championships, maybe Vuelta should design a route to atract sprinters and medium mountain riders, as they have no chance in WC, and probably wont skip vuelta as the been doing. on the reverse, maybe is the only chance some GC riders have to win the rainbow jersey, and there is a chance the wont make Vuelta to focus on WC

I agree, the Vuelta field next year could be worse than usually.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,087
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BalearicBeats, Geraint Too Fast, Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 36 guests

Back to top