Register

Vuelta a España 2018 Rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Vuelta a España 2018 Rumours

01 Nov 2017 10:15

Purito to make a comeback and win by 5 minutes.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re:

01 Nov 2017 16:33

julianper wrote:The latest news are showing that our rumours are being confirmed, so we're right. That means the Vuelta 2018 will be one of the worst Grand Tours ever done. One more time, there you can see how will be this cycling-joke: https://www.la-flamme-rouge.eu/maps/tours/view/7174

So that has Monte Oiz being done from the harder side, not from Iurreta?

Oiz, Lagos, Covatilla and the Andorra stage will encourage a lot of climbers I think. The medium mountain stage I guess will be how they always are: either the riders can make them memorable, or they can do nothing on them and they will be dull af.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

Re: Re:

01 Nov 2017 16:49

DFA123 wrote:
julianper wrote:The latest news are showing that our rumours are being confirmed, so we're right. That means the Vuelta 2018 will be one of the worst Grand Tours ever done. One more time, there you can see how will be this cycling-joke: https://www.la-flamme-rouge.eu/maps/tours/view/7174

So that has Monte Oiz being done from the harder side, not from Iurreta?

Oiz, Lagos, Covatilla and the Andorra stage will encourage a lot of climbers I think. The medium mountain stage I guess will be how they always are: either the riders can make them memorable, or they can do nothing on them and they will be dull af.

Must be the harder side, but it's still pure speculation.

If we're gonna go with stupid steep climbs, I wouldn't mind seeing Cuitu Negru again instead of another year of Covadonga.
Kwibus wrote:So much questions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

01 Nov 2017 19:40

Wait, are you really telling me that the Malaga proloque could be the only ITT/TTT of Vuelta? If so then wow. Amount of MTF's is pretty typical for Vuelta, but very few stages actually look interesting and make you feel that something big could happen, I think Oiz and Covadonga are the only ones, rest looks ******. I agree that if it was 2010-15, Purito would win this race by like 6 minutes.

Let's hope Oiz rumours are true and **** everything else, give me something better than this
Gerrard Slipped haha

Re:

01 Nov 2017 20:25

Gerrard Slipped haha wrote:Wait, are you really telling me that the Malaga proloque could be the only ITT/TTT of Vuelta? If so then wow. Amount of MTF's is pretty typical for Vuelta, but very few stages actually look interesting and make you feel that something big could happen, I think Oiz and Covadonga are the only ones, rest looks ******. I agree that if it was 2010-15, Purito would win this race by like 6 minutes.

Let's hope Oiz rumours are true and **** everything else, give me something better than this

Still better than having more TTT than ITT. But very little is confirmed yet.
User avatar Red Rick

01 Nov 2017 20:34

As Red Rick says everything is pure speculation. The stage to La Covatilla can have as little as nothing before like 2011 or as much as two cat 1 and a cat 2 climb before the final climb with a total far above 4000m of climbing, like 2002 or 2004. Pundits are predicting cr*p with the only goal of claiming they were the first ones to see it coming if cr*p is what we get when the detailed route is unveiled.
ice&fire

01 Nov 2017 20:38

Yeah lets pump the breaks a bit, we don't really know that much. But it could be a somewhat dire GT-year, I agree..
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

01 Nov 2017 20:45

I always look at the Vuelta route as a freeroll. Nothing to lose and if it's actually a good route then it's a nice bonus.
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

01 Nov 2017 21:05

Red Rick wrote:I always look at the Vuelta route as a freeroll. Nothing to lose and if it's actually a good route then it's a nice bonus.

Yeah thats a good way to go about it, but it was miles better than the Tour route this year tho and pretty much always delivers decent to good racing.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

01 Nov 2017 21:19

Nirvana

Re:

01 Nov 2017 22:08

If i'm not messing up my names i know Javalambre relatively well. It's a ski resort south of Teruel. It actually has enough space for even a Tour de France. the area also has some hilly dirt tracks south of the resort. Judging by the name and latidude it should be on top of a nearby peak, but (if i'm not mistaken) the dirt is quite rocky. The climb itself is also nothing great. It has many sides, but the hardest one (first part in a semi-gorge) i could find is max cat. 1 over 10km at 5-6%. I don't know however, how hard would be the last bit to the observatory. There is an alternative south side on a dirt track, which has some steep moments, but it also includes a 10km or more plateau ride to reach Javalambre. All information i provided here is straight from my memory, so some details are probably false. Now i really need to go to sleep...
railxmig

01 Nov 2017 22:54

Maybe they thought about making it easier being closer to the Tour de France, so not to scare riders away. Just saying.

Valverde could be a big favorite.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

02 Nov 2017 00:01

Ciclo21 has some details. The Aragon Regional Government owns the observatory through its Industry and Innovation Department and is a shareholder of the nearby Javalambre ski station through the Aramon consortium who owns all the ski stations in the region, including Formigal, Cerler and Valdelinares.
http://www.ciclo21.com/vuelta-espana-2018/

They plan to use the road from Arcos de las Salinas, 12km @ 7.5%, but with the last 5km @ 10% and ramps of 15%.

I was wondering if Guillén had changed his mind about unpaved roads after the Tour decided to add this year an unpaved section in one of the mountain stages. But according to ciclo21 there's no change of mind: the project to pave the road is in the bidding phase and works will be completed before the race.

Another thought that comes to my mind is how they're going to fit Oiz, this and Andorra in the last week. With Oiz and Javalambre confirmed by news media I find the Andorra (unsourced) rumours harder to believe.
ice&fire

02 Nov 2017 07:13

Stage 20 will surelt take place un Andorra. The 3rd week looks like:
16. Llanes - Santona
17. Getxo - Oiz
18. Finish in ¿Javalambre?¿Huesca?¿Aralar?
19. Leída/Benabarre - Andorra with Comella
20. MTT Ordino or mountain stage with finish in Canolich
julianper
Newly Registered Member

02 Nov 2017 09:54

Oiz-Javalambre is a 5h drive, so Oiz to wherever the Javalambre stage starts from can hardly be less than 3h drive. Javalambre-Lleida/Benabarre is a 4h drive.
Two consecutive transfers of >3h and 4h in non-rest days? The longest transfers in 2017 (apart from Angliru-Madrid in the last day) were Cuenca-Hellin (stages 7-8), CalarAlto-Motril (stages 11-12) and StoToribio-Campo de Caso (stages 18-19), all of them around 2h30m by car.
ice&fire

Re:

02 Nov 2017 10:17

Escarabajo wrote:Maybe they thought about making it easier being closer to the Tour de France, so not to scare riders away. Just saying.

Valverde could be a big favorite.

It won't be closer to the Tour. The Tour start is delayed one week in 2018 but so is the Vuelta.
User avatar Ricco'

02 Nov 2017 16:30

Several twitter users report that Asturian TV has confirmed Praeres and Covadonga as the two MTFs in the region.
https://twitter.com/39x28web/status/926102939248230400
ice&fire

02 Nov 2017 22:49

I suppose it must be hard not to crank up the ITT kms to attract the Dawg and/or TommyD.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
Froome & Roy Moore - blessed St Lucia!
User avatar Robert5091

02 Nov 2017 22:53

Negotiations for the finish at Les Praeres are very advanced, but they are competing with other climbs such as la Farrapona, Picon Blanco or Javalambre.
http://www.elcomercio.es/deportes/ciclismo/vuelta-espana/vuelta-ciclista-espana-descubre-praeres-20171102211746-nt.html

AS has an article along similar lines, although they don't mention Farrapona and say that the stage finish at Picon Blanco might be postponed to future editions.
https://as.com/ciclismo/2017/11/01/vuelta_espana/1509576280_224796.html

No news media has mentioned Andorra while twitter user @gregariosdelujo spread a rumour about San Miguel de Aralar without knowing where it was or at least pretending it.
A second rest day on Monday followed by OIz, Aralar, a stage in Zaragoza/Huesca, a stage through Catalunya to Andorra and the final mountain stage in Andorra would make perfect sense with reasonable transfers. That would be consistent with the unsourced rumours to have a flat ITT near Zaragoza, a MTT in Andorra, both or none. But it would rule out Javalambre and the rumoured stage in Cantabria unless this region is visited only as part of the loop around Picos de Europa suggested by Libertine for the Covadonga stage.

I'm getting the feeling that Unipublic has thrown a list of climb names in a basket to choose from and they're leaking fake rumours at random to troll us.
ice&fire

03 Nov 2017 18:01

Covadonga stage will just take place in Asturias, maybe Castilla y Leon if the stage's start is in Cistierna. The stage in Cantabria will be the next one, number 16. A flat or medium mountain stage finishing in Santoña.
My mate @gregariosdelujo didn't remember that la Vuelta climbed up Aralar in 2014, but now he does. If he said there's probably a stage there, it's because we have real information about it. But we have many more options. My preferred one is Pamplona-Huesca, to do Benabarre-Andorra the next day.
julianper
Newly Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing