Register

Would you like to see Anglirú in TDF one year?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Would you want to see El Anglirú in the Tour de France one year

Id like to see this climb like part of TDF at least one time
18%
No really, I don't see why TDF should go to Asturias
83%

Total votes : 40

Would you like to see Anglirú in TDF one year?

12 Sep 2017 10:32

Sometimes TDF goes to another countries: Spain, Italy, UK, etc. So I was thinking about the possibility of TDF going to Spain and climbing Anglirú. Would you like it?.
Asturiano

Re: Would you like to see Anglirú in TDF one year?

12 Sep 2017 10:41

No, that kind of stuff belongs to the Vuelta.

I like that the Giro, Tour and Vuelta all have their own character. Giro with the gruelling mountain stages and treacherous intermiate stuff, Vuelta with the monoclimb monsters. Tour with the gradual climbs.. leave it that way.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

12 Sep 2017 10:49

No.
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

12 Sep 2017 10:53

I genuinely love the genre mix in grand tours. using agnello or arcalis in the tour, risoul and galibier in the giro, peyragudes is the vuelta is great stuff. each of grand tours has its special features but why not to spice it up, engaging some climb from the other one? riding up the Angliru in the Tour would be great, but sadly I don't think this happening in the coming years. on top of that, it's not the best choice in terms of logistics as far as I'm aware?
Last edited by dacooley on 12 Sep 2017 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
dacooley

12 Sep 2017 10:54

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:No, that kind of stuff belongs to the Vuelta.

I like that the Giro, Tour and Vuelta all have their own character. Giro with the gruelling mountain stages and treacherous intermiate stuff, Vuelta with the monoclimb monsters. Tour with the gradual climbs.. leave it that way.

I feel like the Tour generally has the most boring mountain stages. Of course there are other reasons, such as strength of the teams, individual riders forms, riders having too much too lose and strength of the GC riders. Sky doesn't help either, admittedly. But perhaps introducing occasionally a Giro or Vuelta type climb would help. I would like to see more variation. Why not mix them together a bit? I don't think it would spoil the 'characteristics' of any of the GT's.

Whether it is practical or not is another issue.
User avatar Ruby United

12 Sep 2017 10:55

France has plenty of similar or harder goat tracks they can pave if they want
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

12 Sep 2017 11:30

The organisers of the Tour also run the Vuelta and would be killing the unique identity of the Spanish race if they nicked THE legendary climb of that three-week GT.
While we are talking about parcours I'd love to see, as maybe a one-off, the Tour adopt three weeks of classics-style rolling stages with no TT's or big mountains to really open up the field.
The racing would be very aggressive and exciting and the Tour is big enough not to be damaged by going outside the current format of endless days of pan-flat cycling with a weekend of climbs.
TMJ

12 Sep 2017 12:17

No.I was never a supporter of GT's going abroad but this trend won't stop so i have to deal with it.France has enough amazing climbs to promote,doesn't need to import them from Giro or Vuelta.
User avatar DBotero

12 Sep 2017 12:20

France has plenty of brutal climbs west of La Pierre Saint Martin they never use. If they persist in this neglect I'm in favour of using them in La Vuelta instead. They did it last year and everyone seemed to like it.
ice&fire

12 Sep 2017 12:27

No. The Vuelta and Giro shouldn't use the Alpe d'Huez or Mont Ventoux; the Tour and Vuelta shouldn't use the Passo dello Stelvio; the Giro and Tour shouldn't use the Angliru.
rlntlssly

12 Sep 2017 12:44

Really don't know this: Alpe D'huez has ever been featured in Giro in the last 30 years? Or Stelvio in the TDF?
Maybe some are part of the identity of a given GT, hence they have never been featured (or, at least, only a very few times) in other GTs.
User avatar lenric

Re:

12 Sep 2017 12:47

ice&fire wrote:France has plenty of brutal climbs west of La Pierre Saint Martin they never use. If they persist in this neglect I'm in favour of using them in La Vuelta instead. They did it last year and everyone seemed to like it.

There is no towns who candidate to have a stage from the TDF in that area.

Sadly, I don't think they'll be more interested having the Vuelta instead...
User avatar Chrispol

12 Sep 2017 12:50

The real question would be if people want to see the Finestre in the Tour de France.

Also, the closest thing we had in the last few years was the Vuelta finishing on the Aubisque. People were quite enthusiastic about it
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

12 Sep 2017 12:56

Red Rick wrote:The real question would be if people want to see the Finestre in the Tour de France.

Also, the closest thing we had in the last few years was the Vuelta finishing on the Aubisque. People were quite enthusiastic about it

We want Basset, leave Finestre to Italy and construct your own unpaved climb legend. :D

But we all know that TDF doesn't want unpaved climb. Even Vuelta refused Trobaniello in the 2014 Farrapona stage. :(
User avatar Chrispol

12 Sep 2017 12:57

No.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re: Re:

12 Sep 2017 13:03

Chrispol wrote:
ice&fire wrote:France has plenty of brutal climbs west of La Pierre Saint Martin they never use. If they persist in this neglect I'm in favour of using them in La Vuelta instead. They did it last year and everyone seemed to like it.

There is no towns who candidate to have a stage from the TDF in that area.

Sadly, I don't think they'll be more interested having the Vuelta instead...

No problem. La Vuelta can return to a stage finish in Spain climbing Larrau or LPSM :D
ice&fire

12 Sep 2017 13:15

This makes no sense, unless the TDF starts near Asturias. The reason that the Galibier featured in the Giro or the Aubisque in the Vuelta is that they lie very close to the (respectively) Italian and Spanish border. Around 20-30 km. The Angliru is at least 340 km from the nearest French border....
wouterkaas

12 Sep 2017 13:33

no
IndianCyclist

12 Sep 2017 13:37

No.
User avatar benzwire

12 Sep 2017 13:41

No!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

Next

Return to Professional road racing