Register

PostNord Danmark Rundt - Tour of Denmark (2.HC DEN) - SE

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

13 Sep 2017 14:37

Scarponi wrote:How did Basso win so many stages back in the day ?

Well, he was on his way into evolving something called RoboBasso, and we didn't get to see the final version :(
burning

Re:

13 Sep 2017 15:00

Do you remember when he won Criterium International? It was a bit like that. Basso had superpowers combined with the lack of a strong field. In addition, the first few stages were raced hard and selectively in rainy (I think) conditions. The queen stage with the hilly finale in Vejle as well as the ITT was also to Basso's advantage. So when you think about it, it was actually not that strange that Basso won 4 out of 6 stages that year :)
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

Re: Re:

13 Sep 2017 15:06

Cance > TheRest wrote:

Do you remember when he won Criterium International? It was a bit like that. Basso had superpowers combined with the lack of a strong field. In addition, the first few stages were raced hard and selectively in rainy (I think) conditions. The queen stage with the hilly finale in Vejle as well as the ITT was also to Basso's advantage. So when you think about it, it was actually not that strange that Basso won 4 out of 6 stages that year :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCAd5aRvqHA

Here's a good summary about that race, but you have to admit that the first two stages and CSC destroying the TT was even more hilarious. But, it's true that the field was pretty weak and Greipel didn't have the manpower to chase Basso in first two stages.
burning

13 Sep 2017 17:05

Yeah, that youtuber has thrown lots of golden video on YT with danish commentary. My favourites are from 2007. He basically won a few semi hillyish stage, destroyed the queen stage and the ITT. I didn't get to watch that Giro, I only followed the Tour back the more or less, and he didn't really went Robo before 2006. What a shame.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

13 Sep 2017 18:35

Apparently, the riders couldn't agree today.

The french teams wanted to quit, because of the rain and wind.... the danish ones wanted to continue racing.

So, when some riders didn't want to go on, they all stopped.

What a bunch of crybabies..... the only thing that makes the tour of Denmark interesting IS the wind ffs.
Broccolidwarf

13 Sep 2017 19:43

That cancellation was a disgrace. First, the organizers decide to neutralize the race, apparently because of a phone call from one of the team managers. The riders don't agree - they want to go on or stop completely -, and they eventually stop in a small forest (yes, a forest, so it's not that they are afraid of trees falling on them - they just don't like the bad weather).

It seems the decision to cancel the stage had something to do with the race not being recognized as a big race, and that's just foolish. The organizers keep talking about the wind as a possibly deciding factor in this race - where there are few really tough climbs -, and now that they got the wind, they didn't have the guts to let it make its impact. So tragic.
Danskebjerge

13 Sep 2017 20:03

There had been at least one tree falling on the route. Maybe they just figured that though stopping in a forest was less than ideal, it was still the least-terrible place they could stop.
Besides, Tour of Denmark is a small race, no point in having riders getting injured in a race like this so close the the World Championships. A bigger race I'd say they should have continued as much as safety allowed, but this? A race that - to some - is essentially a prep race for the Worlds? No point. The race will continue tomorrow, hopefully without any incidents.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2017 20:26

RedheadDane wrote:There had been at least one tree falling on the route. Maybe they just figured that though stopping in a forest was less than ideal, it was still the least-terrible place they could stop.
Besides, Tour of Denmark is a small race, no point in having riders getting injured in a race like this so close the the World Championships. A bigger race I'd say they should have continued as much as safety allowed, but this? A race that - to some - is essentially a prep race for the Worlds? No point. The race will continue tomorrow, hopefully without any incidents.

I can't follow you on that one. It's by far the biggest race of the season for at least four of the teams involved and if the riders on the bigger teams are afraid of injuries or getting sick, they can always pull a DNS og DNF.
Baldinger

Re:

13 Sep 2017 21:18

Danskebjerge wrote:That cancellation was a disgrace. First, the organizers decide to neutralize the race, apparently because of a phone call from one of the team managers. The riders don't agree - they want to go on or stop completely -, and they eventually stop in a small forest (yes, a forest, so it's not that they are afraid of trees falling on them - they just don't like the bad weather).

It seems the decision to cancel the stage had something to do with the race not being recognized as a big race, and that's just foolish. The organizers keep talking about the wind as a possibly deciding factor in this race - where there are few really tough climbs -, and now that they got the wind, they didn't have the guts to let it make its impact. So tragic.

I didnt follow the race but this just seems stupid. With huge gusts and rain in cold weather the last thing you wanna do is just neutralize the race, it gets freezing cold like that.. We need Tim Wellens in this race.

EDIT: And I don't have to say how much I despise Jesper **** Worre after what he did to Michael in 2007.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

13 Sep 2017 21:20

It's a big race for the local riders. On the greater scale of things, it's not that important.
On the greater scale of things one cancelled stage probably won't matter much. If tomorrow's stage had been cancelled that would be a different matter, but a flat sprint stage? I'm sure the race will be fine without it.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2017 22:33

RedheadDane wrote:It's a big race for the local riders. On the greater scale of things, it's not that important.
On the greater scale of things one cancelled stage probably won't matter much. If tomorrow's stage had been cancelled that would be a different matter, but a flat sprint stage? I'm sure the race will be fine without it.

This stage could have been the most decisive of them all, because of the wind. It was a tough wind, but far from dangerous. They were heading for the town Faaborg where the wind speed was at 15 meters per second. That's not even close to being a real storm.

In addition, how did the riders get back to their hotels, many kilometers away from where they had stopped? Well, they went there by bike. That's how dangerous (?) the conditions were.

I'm seeing some people relating the Tour of Denmark to the upcoming World Championships - saying that risks need to be minimized. That's crazy. When you have a stage race that tries to attract top riders, you have to go all-in and see the race as the most important thing in the world. Otherwise, it will slowly fade away.
Danskebjerge

14 Sep 2017 00:14

Just how extreme was the wind? Much as I love echelons, there is a point where conditions really are too extreme. Gent Wevelgem 2015 was about as harsh a wind as anyone should be expected to race in. (Leaving aside additional local dangers like falling tree).
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re: Re:

14 Sep 2017 05:58

Valv.Piti wrote:
Danskebjerge wrote:That cancellation was a disgrace. First, the organizers decide to neutralize the race, apparently because of a phone call from one of the team managers. The riders don't agree - they want to go on or stop completely -, and they eventually stop in a small forest (yes, a forest, so it's not that they are afraid of trees falling on them - they just don't like the bad weather).

I didnt follow the race but this just seems stupid. With huge gusts and rain in cold weather the last thing you wanna do is just neutralize the race, it gets freezing cold like that.. We need Tim Wellens in this race.

EDIT: And I don't have to say how much I despise Jesper **** Worre after what he did to Michael in 2007.

I don't see how that would change anything.
I was happy to see him do his thing in Namur
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.

14 Sep 2017 11:22

Stage to still 167km from the finish (wind/tree/etc permitting)
Live again here http://www.dr.dk/live/nyheder/sporten/Post-nord-dk-rundt-2017-live
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re:

14 Sep 2017 13:04

Doping and a strong team, I guess.

https://youtu.be/eCAd5aRvqHA
Danskebjerge

Re: PostNord Danmark Rundt - Tour of Denmark (2.HC DEN) - SE

14 Sep 2017 13:16

Today's stage is the queen stage, with several two-digit climbs within the last 50 kilometers. Gammel Kongevej with 19.5 percent maximum is the most intriguing, but the deciding climb will probably be Kiddesvej (19 percent) as this is placed on the finishing circuit.

I'll mention one more climb which is pretty nice. It is the climb of Østengård, 930 meters at 8.1 percent in average. It has a maximum grade of 18. Unfortunately, the climb is surrounded by trees, so it doesn't look so impressive on TV, and recently it hasn't even been shown. Østengård is reached today with around 50 kilometers to go.
Danskebjerge

Re: PostNord Danmark Rundt - Tour of Denmark (2.HC DEN) - SE

14 Sep 2017 13:29

Danskebjerge wrote:Today's stage is the queen stage, with several two-digit climbs within the last 50 kilometers. Gammel Kongevej with 19.5 percent maximum is the most intriguing, but the deciding climb will probably be Kiddesvej (19 percent) as this is placed on the finishing circuit.

I'll mention one more climb which is pretty nice. It is the climb of Østengård, 930 meters at 8.1 percent in average. It has a maximum grade of 18. Unfortunately, the climb is surrounded by trees, so it doesn't look so impressive on TV, and recently it hasn't even been shown. Østengård is reached today with around 50 kilometers to go.

They showed it last year, I remember.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of great small climbs around Vejle and Horsens and further north in Søhøjlandet, that is seldom/never being used in Post Danmark Rundt; Lyngebakken, Purhøj, Hvolbæk, Jelshøj, Javngyden and Kollens Møllevej just to name a few.
Today, the the route goes north (instead of south) towards vejle meaning that we will be missing a big part of the great hilly terrain of Søhøjlandet as the field heads straight to the ITT in Randers after today's queen stage.

14 Sep 2017 13:38

Today, once again the break was led down the wrong road. :rolleyes:
Last edited by fantomas on 14 Sep 2017 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
fantomas

14 Sep 2017 13:38

Turns out the break took a slight detour. Nothing that had any impact on the race.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

14 Sep 2017 14:19

gruppo compatto
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing