Log in:  

Register

Prize money for Worlds 2017 in Bergen

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Prize money for Worlds 2017 in Bergen

13 Sep 2017 11:28

I assume everybody read the article here in CN regarding the price money in Bergen.

If not here is the link http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-change-to-worlds-prize-money-in-bergen/

This is just ridiculous. Something is really wrong in cycling. I wonder what is the year pay check of Mr. Cookson but he must be a very bad and incompetent manager.

I know that all prize money in this sport is jokes but 7000 EUR for the win in probably hardest one-day sports performance watched by several hundred tousends on the place and millions on TV is the "nice" certificate of competency of UCI management.
User avatar SKSemtex
Member
 
Posts: 1,677
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:01

13 Sep 2017 11:49

At least there's equal prize money for the men and women, it's something
User avatar PremierAndrew
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,525
Joined: 09 May 2014 18:47

13 Sep 2017 11:57

I would be OK with women getting bigger prize per km ridden than men if they generated more interest than men's races.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis
Member
 
Posts: 1,598
Joined: 10 May 2013 20:16

Re: Prize money for Worlds 2017 in Bergen

13 Sep 2017 12:45

SKSemtex wrote:I assume everybody read the article here in CN regarding the price money in Bergen.

If not here is the link http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-change-to-worlds-prize-money-in-bergen/

This is just ridiculous. Something is really wrong in cycling. I wonder what is the year pay check of Mr. Cookson but he must be a very bad and incompetent manager.

I know that all prize money in this sport is jokes but 7000 EUR for the win in probably hardest one-day sports performance watched by several hundred tousends on the place and millions on TV is the "nice" certificate of competency of UCI management.


Mr. Cookson is on 340 000 Swiss Francs per year (about 350 000 US dollars)
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091
Member
 
Posts: 1,145
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

13 Sep 2017 12:52

Anderis wrote:I would be OK with women getting bigger prize per km ridden than men if they generated more interest than men's races.


So would I. And I would also be OK with men getting a bigger prize than women if they generated more interest than the women's race. I'm just not sure others on this forum would be.
User avatar Ruby United
Member
 
Posts: 1,828
Joined: 03 Jan 2012 18:16
Location: London

Re: Re:

13 Sep 2017 13:01

Ruby United wrote:
Anderis wrote:I would be OK with women getting bigger prize per km ridden than men if they generated more interest than men's races.


So would I. And I would also be OK with men getting a bigger prize than women if they generated more interest than the women's race. I'm just not sure others on this forum would be.


Unequal prizes are rationally justified. Also, the whole women's peloton starts the WC anyway since it's the single most important televised race. This is not the case for men at all, but higher prize money could give incentive for top riders to go as a domestique or free role, even if the parcours does not suit them.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,277
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

Re: Prize money for Worlds 2017 in Bergen

13 Sep 2017 14:56

I also think there would be reasonable arguments to give women less prize money but I'm still happy about the decision. The ultimate goal has to be that womens cycling gets as important as mens cycling and you're not gonna achieve that by outlining that male cyclists deserve more price money
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,105
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Prize money for Worlds 2017 in Bergen

13 Sep 2017 15:38

Gigs_98 wrote:I also think there would be reasonable arguments to give women less prize money but I'm still happy about the decision. The ultimate goal has to be that womens cycling gets as important as mens cycling and you're not gonna achieve that by outlining that male cyclists deserve more price money

No.

Surely, the goal is for both sports to be as successful as they can be, independently of each other.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,887
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re: Prize money for Worlds 2017 in Bergen

13 Sep 2017 16:03

Netserk wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:I also think there would be reasonable arguments to give women less prize money but I'm still happy about the decision. The ultimate goal has to be that womens cycling gets as important as mens cycling and you're not gonna achieve that by outlining that male cyclists deserve more price money

No.

Surely, the goal is for both sports to be as successful as they can be, independently of each other.

Pretty much this. Both deserve the effort of organisers and governing bodies to ensure they are the best sport they can be. It should never be about equality of outcome.

That said I'm pretty indifferent about equal prize money.

Cycling is for 95% a salary/sponsorship sport in terms of where the money comes from.

The Olympic games give out no prize money, athletes get bonuses from national federations.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,894
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: Prize money for Worlds 2017 in Bergen

13 Sep 2017 16:21

Netserk wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:I also think there would be reasonable arguments to give women less prize money but I'm still happy about the decision. The ultimate goal has to be that womens cycling gets as important as mens cycling and you're not gonna achieve that by outlining that male cyclists deserve more price money

No.

Surely, the goal is for both sports to be as successful as they can be, independently of each other.


Why should they be different? You seem to be implying that women's cycling might inherently be less interesting than men's.

Of course there's no point in achieving equality by undermining men's cycling, but why should equality not be a goal?
rlntlssly
New Member
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 22 Jul 2017 12:58

13 Sep 2017 16:31

Because they *are* different. That has nothing to do with one being inherently more interesting than the other or not. If you want them to be the same and pay the same, combine the two pelotons and have men and women compete against each other...
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,887
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

13 Sep 2017 16:32

Just let them race together, problem solved.

Edit: Netserk beat me to it.
kingjr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,533
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 18:53
Location: Germany

13 Sep 2017 17:34

Considering that the 7000 EUR is divided equally among 6-9 riders and possibly another 9 staff, its literally peanuts
IndianCyclist
Member
 
Posts: 1,690
Joined: 12 Nov 2010 12:26
Location: Bangalore, India

Re:

13 Sep 2017 18:26

IndianCyclist wrote:Considering that the 7000 EUR is divided equally among 6-9 riders and possibly another 9 staff, its literally peanuts


Those peanuts in India are hella expensive bruh
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,401
Joined: 23 Oct 2011 17:47

Re: Prize money for Worlds 2017 in Bergen

13 Sep 2017 18:48

They are not underpaid, they are overpaid, definitely. As much as I dislike Mr Cookson, CHF340,000/year is a lot less than the best paid rider (needless to remind you of who that is and of who made that possible).

Cycling might be hard but it's way less hard than working on an assembly line in a factory or as a bricklayer on a building site. Beside it's less hard than triathlon while triathletes are lesser paid.

As Marc Madiot said in the new version of his book "Parlons vélo" (Talent sport, 2017):

We are not a sport for the rich. If you want to be a billionair, you should not cycle. You should do Formula 1, tennis or football. If you do "cycling", it is only misery. It is a bit of a masochist thing but it is our DNA. When you are in such a world, real personalities are emerging: Bernard Hinault, Jacques Anquetil, Raymond Poulidor, Eddy Merckx, Luis Ocaña. They stood out. Froome and such are all kind but if you put them on the Champs-Élysées, nobody would recognise them.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,982
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

Re: Prize money for Worlds 2017 in Bergen

13 Sep 2017 18:56

Echoes wrote:They are not underpaid, they are overpaid, definitely. As much as I dislike Mr Cookson, CHF340,000/year is a lot less than the best paid rider (needless to remind you of who that is and of who made that possible).

Cycling might be hard but it's way less hard than working on an assembly line in a factory or as a bricklayer on a building site. Beside it's less hard than triathlon while triathletes are lesser paid.

As Marc Madiot said in the new version of his book "Parlons vélo" (Talent sport, 2017):

We are not a sport for the rich. If you want to be a billionair, you should not cycle. You should do Formula 1, tennis or football. If you do "cycling", it is only misery. It is a bit of a masochist thing but it is our DNA. When you are in such a world, real personalities are emerging: Bernard Hinault, Jacques Anquetil, Raymond Poulidor, Eddy Merckx, Luis Ocaña. They stood out. Froome and such are all kind but if you put them on the Champs-Élysées, nobody would recognise them.


In terms of their salary, I don't think that they are underpaid or overpaid. They are paid just right. That is the nature of a free market.
User avatar Ruby United
Member
 
Posts: 1,828
Joined: 03 Jan 2012 18:16
Location: London

13 Sep 2017 19:18

There's no right or wrong salary. Compared to one sport it's horse crap, compared to another they're living like gods. Only thing I can say is that WT cyclists are basically guaranteed a liveable wage (I think). I'm not sure about pro continental teams?
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,894
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: Prize money for Worlds 2017 in Bergen

13 Sep 2017 19:23

Ruby United wrote:
Echoes wrote:They are not underpaid, they are overpaid, definitely. As much as I dislike Mr Cookson, CHF340,000/year is a lot less than the best paid rider (needless to remind you of who that is and of who made that possible).

Cycling might be hard but it's way less hard than working on an assembly line in a factory or as a bricklayer on a building site. Beside it's less hard than triathlon while triathletes are lesser paid.

As Marc Madiot said in the new version of his book "Parlons vélo" (Talent sport, 2017):

We are not a sport for the rich. If you want to be a billionair, you should not cycle. You should do Formula 1, tennis or football. If you do "cycling", it is only misery. It is a bit of a masochist thing but it is our DNA. When you are in such a world, real personalities are emerging: Bernard Hinault, Jacques Anquetil, Raymond Poulidor, Eddy Merckx, Luis Ocaña. They stood out. Froome and such are all kind but if you put them on the Champs-Élysées, nobody would recognise them.


In terms of their salary, I don't think that they are underpaid or overpaid. They are paid just right. That is the nature of a free market.

The sacrosanct magical invisible hand of the free market. Which obviously exists. That's why teachers are paid ten times less than an average CEO. Because the market is always right. The free market is god. God is the free market. #edgyancap
Brullnux
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,825
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re:

13 Sep 2017 19:54

PremierAndrew wrote:At least there's equal prize money for the men and women, it's something

I'll open a can of worms here but it shouldn't be equal. One gets a higher viewership and one has a demanding course. Tennis and cycling shouldn't have the same for the women imo
Scarponi
Member
 
Posts: 1,324
Joined: 21 Apr 2015 08:56

Re: Re:

13 Sep 2017 19:55

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:
IndianCyclist wrote:Considering that the 7000 EUR is divided equally among 6-9 riders and possibly another 9 staff, its literally peanuts


Those peanuts in India are hella expensive bruh

It's also a lot now in places like Sydney where houses in low income areas are literally 1 million
Scarponi
Member
 
Posts: 1,324
Joined: 21 Apr 2015 08:56

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: valentius borealis and 23 guests

Back to top