Register

World Championships Innsbruck 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re:

14 Feb 2018 10:49

Krokro wrote:Why is this "descending" nonsense still going on? This is becoming really sad to read..

What do you mean?
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

14 Feb 2018 13:55

I meant this almost troll debate about arguing FW, RRV and Roubaix finishes are after a descent (on the last few posts).
Krokro

15 Feb 2018 15:38

The chance this ends in a sprint of more than 3 riders seems like a long shot. The steepness of that last climb will bury almost everyone. Valverde is favorite for sure, but I could see a whole bunch of riders winning this. It’s going to be a climber though, that last climb rules out any miracles. I guess I’m ok with that, as the climbers never really get a shot at worlds.
Son of Amsterhammer

Re: World Championships Innsbruck 2018

23 Mar 2018 17:45

So Nibali reconned the course and said it's the hardest WC course he ever saw and the last climb resembles more a mountainbike climb type of effort.

It's going to be insanely hard
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

23 Mar 2018 17:58

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:So Nibali reconned the course and said it's the hardest WC course he ever saw and the last climb resembles more a mountainbike climb type of effort.

You know what that means right?

Group ride to the last 2 climbs.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 Mar 2018 18:01

Well, distance 261.74 Km altitude gain 4958 m.
Number don't lie, good chance at an actual real mano a mano. :D

Edit: Cassani said that that last muro has max of 28%... that is insane.
User avatar Climbing

23 Mar 2018 18:04

Red Rick wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:So Nibali reconned the course and said it's the hardest WC course he ever saw and the last climb resembles more a mountainbike climb type of effort.

Yep.
User avatar Koronin

23 Mar 2018 18:14

Red Rick wrote:

Nibali said it will be very difficult to manage, control and for feeding, fellow riders will be in for a surprise when they'll see the difficulty. Cassani added that there's 28% at some point on the last climb of the race.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

23 Mar 2018 18:18

Rollthedice wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

Nibali said it will be very difficult to manage, control and for feeding, fellow riders will be in for a surprise when they'll see the difficulty. Cassani added that there's 28% at some point on the last climb of the race.

Are the Worlds with one less rider per team as well?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 Mar 2018 18:20

Use that super steep climb earlier so you still have something like two more regular climbs after it and you have a superb route with action from far out almost guaranteed. Now you instead most likely have a big group coming to that murito where the big stars will battle it out. Nibali will probably be the one most angry about this decision since for him this murito destroys an otherwise perfect route. I really would have had a hard time seeing anyone else winning there, but now I'm not so sure. He has shown before that he is very strong on climbs that don't suit him if the race before has been hard enough, but 28%? That might be too much for him.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

23 Mar 2018 18:21

I thought WC is also a rider less yeah.

And when it's this hard there is no control. Plus my hope is Colombians will slaughter the field early on
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

23 Mar 2018 18:21

Red Rick wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

Don't think so. Remember only 5 countries have a full 9 man roster. Most teams will have 6 riders or less anyway.
User avatar Koronin

23 Mar 2018 18:24

It's 8 riders for top 10 nations I think http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/News/18/54/12/CMR-Syst%C3%A8medequalification2018-ENG_English.PDF

Edit: wherever you put that last ascent, after almost 5000 altitude gain I seriously doubt there will be a big group...

Edit2: obviously "28% zomg" it's just an hairpin somewhere between km 1.5 - 2.5 of the climb, so it's not Los Muchachos level is my guess.
User avatar Climbing

23 Mar 2018 18:35

Red Rick wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

9.2.034 For the Men Elite, Women Elite, Men Under 23 and Men Juniors XCO events and the
Men Elite and Men Juniors DHI events, the maximum number of riders (apart from
reserves) for each team is determined on the basis of the classification by nation of the
previous year's world championships, as per the table below:
Nations ranked Maximum number of riders (except reserves)
1 to 10 and the host nation 7
11 to 20 6
21 to 30 5
31 or after 4
Unranked nations 3
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

23 Mar 2018 18:36

Rollthedice wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

9.2.034 For the Men Elite, Women Elite, Men Under 23 and Men Juniors XCO events and the
Men Elite and Men Juniors DHI events, the maximum number of riders (apart from
reserves) for each team is determined on the basis of the classification by nation of the
previous year's world championships, as per the table below:
Nations ranked Maximum number of riders (except reserves)
1 to 10 and the host nation 7
11 to 20 6
21 to 30 5
31 or after 4
Unranked nations 3

Thanks. That's gonna be a bitch to control.

Might compile a list of some sorts of GT of riders who've gotten top 5 in GTs or LBL/Lombardia in the run up to the WC
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 Mar 2018 18:38

so only 7? Absolute carnage then, very very hard to control.
Decisive moves way before last 3 km climb for sure.
Nibali points out about very little respite as well, just up and down.
We'll see, looks brutal.

Edit: en passant Nibali cited some names from different nation, Chaves Uran, Valverde Izaguirre's brothers (ofc cause they are in TBM), Bardet Pinot, Yates brots, etc.)
Last edited by Climbing on 23 Mar 2018 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Climbing

23 Mar 2018 18:39

Gigs_98 wrote:Use that super steep climb earlier so you still have something like two more regular climbs after it and you have a superb route with action from far out almost guaranteed. Now you instead most likely have a big group coming to that murito where the big stars will battle it out. Nibali will probably be the one most angry about this decision since for him this murito destroys an otherwise perfect route. I really would have had a hard time seeing anyone else winning there, but now I'm not so sure. He has shown before that he is very strong on climbs that don't suit him if the race before has been hard enough, but 28%? That might be too much for him.

Nibali will not wait for the murito, whatever it takes. I don't expect more than 20-30 riders tackling the last long lap of the circuit.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

23 Mar 2018 18:41

So in other words it's no longer nearly as important to be one of the top 5 nations. Being in the top 10 will be a LOT easier.
User avatar Koronin

23 Mar 2018 18:41

Rollthedice wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:Use that super steep climb earlier so you still have something like two more regular climbs after it and you have a superb route with action from far out almost guaranteed. Now you instead most likely have a big group coming to that murito where the big stars will battle it out. Nibali will probably be the one most angry about this decision since for him this murito destroys an otherwise perfect route. I really would have had a hard time seeing anyone else winning there, but now I'm not so sure. He has shown before that he is very strong on climbs that don't suit him if the race before has been hard enough, but 28%? That might be too much for him.

Nibali will not wait for the murito, whatever it takes. I don't expect more than 20-30 riders tackling the last long lap of the circuit.

Not to mention most of them won't have anything left at that point.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 Mar 2018 18:42

Who are seriously considering going to Austria this autumn? I know I am.
User avatar Valv.Piti

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing