Log in:  

Register

World Championships Innsbruck 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

19 Sep 2018 15:55

Armchair cyclist wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:
Strawberry_Jams wrote:Anybody betting on Bardet to win? 34/1. Looking good, building form for either the Worlds or Lombardia

He needs to finish alone for that to happen. And I struggle to see him outclimb everyone.


Is the finish close enough to the bottom of the descent that he could outdescend everyone?


2 km(?)
can3478
Junior Member
 
Posts: 161
Joined: 19 Mar 2017 16:12

Re:

19 Sep 2018 16:06

Red Rick wrote:Aren't a lot of Aussie riders comign from other backgrounds than cycling. I get the idea that the domestic cycling scene is quite small but some top talents come from stuff like triathlon or even swimming, but I can't remember the latter.

Australia will die out as a force in sports as the years go on, I live in Sydney and there are zero white Australians left here, ( it’s literally 5 in every 50 ) it’s all immigration upwards of 300k a year from third world countries and they do not commit to sport. Our future achievements will be even more
Amazing considering it will come from a smaller pool of athletes even though our population soars.
Scarponi
Member
 
Posts: 1,670
Joined: 21 Apr 2015 08:56

Re: World Championships Innsbruck 2018

19 Sep 2018 16:09

Mikel Landa not going to Innsbruck
Tim Booth
Member
 
Posts: 396
Joined: 18 Aug 2017 08:13

19 Sep 2018 16:32

Why do immigrants (or their descendants) in Australia not commit to sports?
In Europe, many countries are disproportionately represented by descendants of immigrants in high level sports. See for example the French football team (World Cup winner this year.)
Sestriere
Member
 
Posts: 456
Joined: 24 Jun 2017 11:59

Re:

19 Sep 2018 17:00

Sestriere wrote:Why do immigrants (or their descendants) in Australia not commit to sports?
In Europe, many countries are disproportionately represented by descendants of immigrants in high level sports. See for example the French football team (World Cup winner this year.)

A lot of the immigrants from the 60s and 70s have represented Australia with their descendants especially the Eastern Europeans, Slavic countries and the Vietnamese/Cambodian section. A lot of the new immigrants are African and Arabic and have little
Interest in Australia’s way of life and sport.
Scarponi
Member
 
Posts: 1,670
Joined: 21 Apr 2015 08:56

19 Sep 2018 17:11

Sestriere wrote:Why do immigrants (or their descendants) in Australia not commit to sports?
In Europe, many countries are disproportionately represented by descendants of immigrants in high level sports. See for example the French football team (World Cup winner this year.)

In Italy it's almost impossible for an immigrant (but also a son of immigrants born in Italy) represent national teams because to get Italian passport you need Italian blood (ius sangiunis), there are a lot of cases of athletes boycotted by this law, you need either to have an Italian parent/marry an Italian or being adopted but for the second case you'll become Italian only at 18 (Balotelli is an example of this).
The only ones that are facilitate in this law are South Americans because even if you find an Italian ancestor of 200 years ago you could easily have Italian citizenship.
Nirvana
Member
 
Posts: 1,074
Joined: 28 Jul 2015 18:17
Location: Florence

19 Sep 2018 18:01

Will add that Australia missed out big time from Vietnamese immigration - Few if any have reached a high level of sport - A missed opportunity.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,505
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re:

19 Sep 2018 18:33

Nirvana wrote:
Sestriere wrote:Why do immigrants (or their descendants) in Australia not commit to sports?
In Europe, many countries are disproportionately represented by descendants of immigrants in high level sports. See for example the French football team (World Cup winner this year.)

In Italy it's almost impossible for an immigrant (but also a son of immigrants born in Italy) represent national teams because to get Italian passport you need Italian blood (ius sangiunis), there are a lot of cases of athletes boycotted by this law, you need either to have an Italian parent/marry an Italian or being adopted but for the second case you'll become Italian only at 18 (Balotelli is an example of this).
The only ones that are facilitate in this law are South Americans because even if you find an Italian ancestor of 200 years ago you could easily have Italian citizenship.

The same more or less applies to Germany, that's why it took up to the third generation (grand-children of the original immigrants) until people with Turkish origins started to represent Germany.
However, in many counties you are citizen by birth (for example France) thus there the second generation can represent the country, which is also happening, particularly with people of African origin.
Sestriere
Member
 
Posts: 456
Joined: 24 Jun 2017 11:59

Re: Re:

19 Sep 2018 20:09

Scarponi wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Aren't a lot of Aussie riders comign from other backgrounds than cycling. I get the idea that the domestic cycling scene is quite small but some top talents come from stuff like triathlon or even swimming, but I can't remember the latter.

Australia will die out as a force in sports as the years go on, I live in Sydney and there are zero white Australians left here, ( it’s literally 5 in every 50 ) it’s all immigration upwards of 300k a year from third world countries and they do not commit to sport. Our future achievements will be even more
Amazing considering it will come from a smaller pool of athletes even though our population soars.

Put the One Nation pamphlet down please :lol:
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,940
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

19 Sep 2018 20:25

Koronin wrote:
Logic-is-your-friend wrote:So, it might... snow?

https://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Naechste-Woche-kommt-Schnee-bis-in-die-Staedte/349032903

Snow is coming to the cities next week
Funky: Innsbruck and Salzburg could already be white next week.

This week it gets hot one last time. It expects us largely sunny sunny late summer weather with temperatures up to the 30-degree mark. On Tuesday it clears up after fog and high fog in the morning, in the whole country it is bright sunny at up to 30 degrees. On Wednesday there are some showers in the west, also thunderstorms are possible. The rest of the country remains dry and sunny at up to 28 degrees. Also on Thursday and Friday it stays warm. The harbingers of autumn, which starts on Sunday, will come to the weekend.

onset of winter

Just in time for the beginning of autumn, there could be a first onset of winter. According to current forecasts, it could snow to many valleys next week. Towards the end of the week we will reach a powerful low. This is accompanied by the first minus degrees and fresh snow.

Especially in the west of the country, it could snow down into many valleys. For example, Innsbruck or Salzburg could already turn white. There should be no larger amounts of snow. In Vienna, on the other hand, it will be necessary to wait for the first snow. In addition, the forecasts are currently still uncertain.



So wait a minute. We just had a hurricane and they might get snow? Something doesn't seem right with this picture.

Innsbruck is 11 degrees north of Carolina, landlocked, and at and elevation of 2000ft. Even if there wasn’t an ocean in between, in what way would it be unusual for them to have snow in October?
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 895
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

Re: Re:

19 Sep 2018 20:32

42x16ss wrote:
Scarponi wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Aren't a lot of Aussie riders comign from other backgrounds than cycling. I get the idea that the domestic cycling scene is quite small but some top talents come from stuff like triathlon or even swimming, but I can't remember the latter.

Australia will die out as a force in sports as the years go on, I live in Sydney and there are zero white Australians left here, ( it’s literally 5 in every 50 ) it’s all immigration upwards of 300k a year from third world countries and they do not commit to sport. Our future achievements will be even more
Amazing considering it will come from a smaller pool of athletes even though our population soars.

Put the One Nation pamphlet down please :lol:


Pretty crazy stuff for a bunch of reasons: (1) a huge majority of Sydney residents are of European descent, (2) the rest of Australia is significantly whiter again and (3) the idea that migrants diminish rather than strengthen the local sports scene is bizarre. It’s really quite strange to read these kind of xenophobic fantasies on a cycling forum.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,428
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re:

19 Sep 2018 20:33

Sestriere wrote:Why do immigrants (or their descendants) in Australia not commit to sports?
In Europe, many countries are disproportionately represented by descendants of immigrants in high level sports. See for example the French football team (World Cup winner this year.)

They do. The Australian rugby team is full of players of Pacific Island descent. Their soccer and tennis players are all recently arrived (as in they have living relatives who are not native English speakers) Eastern Europeans. They have Africans playing AFL now, ffs. The poster you’re replying to is just an idiot.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 895
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

Re:

19 Sep 2018 20:45

Leinster wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Logic-is-your-friend wrote:So, it might... snow?

https://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Naechste-Woche-kommt-Schnee-bis-in-die-Staedte/349032903

Snow is coming to the cities next week
Funky: Innsbruck and Salzburg could already be white next week.

This week it gets hot one last time. It expects us largely sunny sunny late summer weather with temperatures up to the 30-degree mark. On Tuesday it clears up after fog and high fog in the morning, in the whole country it is bright sunny at up to 30 degrees. On Wednesday there are some showers in the west, also thunderstorms are possible. The rest of the country remains dry and sunny at up to 28 degrees. Also on Thursday and Friday it stays warm. The harbingers of autumn, which starts on Sunday, will come to the weekend.

onset of winter

Just in time for the beginning of autumn, there could be a first onset of winter. According to current forecasts, it could snow to many valleys next week. Towards the end of the week we will reach a powerful low. This is accompanied by the first minus degrees and fresh snow.

Especially in the west of the country, it could snow down into many valleys. For example, Innsbruck or Salzburg could already turn white. There should be no larger amounts of snow. In Vienna, on the other hand, it will be necessary to wait for the first snow. In addition, the forecasts are currently still uncertain.



So wait a minute. We just had a hurricane and they might get snow? Something doesn't seem right with this picture.

Innsbruck is 11 degrees north of Carolina, landlocked, and at and elevation of 2000ft. Even if there wasn’t an ocean in between, in what way would it be unusual for them to have snow in October?


There is weather data for the Innsbruck airport on the Innsbruck wiki page that suggests snow being a rather rare occurrence at this time of the year.

A quick look at the available forecasts for next week suggests a possible high of 5-6 degrees in Igls on some days, but seemingly not a lot of precipitation which is good, because it would be sleet

https://www.bergfex.at/innsbruck-igls-patscherkofel/wetter/prognose/
User avatar roundabout
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,185
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

19 Sep 2018 20:58

:D I really, really hope we will have nice weather at Innsbruck: no snow, no rain..
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot
Member
 
Posts: 1,076
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 12:52

Re: Re:

19 Sep 2018 21:52

Scarponi wrote:
Sestriere wrote:Why do immigrants (or their descendants) in Australia not commit to sports?
In Europe, many countries are disproportionately represented by descendants of immigrants in high level sports. See for example the French football team (World Cup winner this year.)

A lot of the immigrants from the 60s and 70s have represented Australia with their descendants especially the Eastern Europeans, Slavic countries and the Vietnamese/Cambodian section. A lot of the new immigrants are African and Arabic and have little
Interest in Australia’s way of life and sport.

I'm sorry but these posts sound like nonsense to me.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,141
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 05:46
Location: ATX

19 Sep 2018 21:55

If the weather is bad i think Spilak could sneak away with the win
User avatar markene2
Member
 
Posts: 1,635
Joined: 07 Jan 2010 20:34

Re:

19 Sep 2018 22:05

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote::D I really, really hope we will have nice weather at Innsbruck: no snow, no rain..

Please God, give us snow, ice, freezing rain, and wind. Lots of wind...'80 LBL all over again.

Thinard Pinault will win this bike race :p .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,155
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

19 Sep 2018 22:45

Image
The "Höll lap" which is included only for the Men's Elite RR, goes up onto the mountainside above Hötting
Image

On the descent can be seen two really tricky switchbacks, other than that, not especially technical
ClassicomanoLuigi
Member
 
Posts: 536
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 03:20

19 Sep 2018 23:01

Anyone have a more detailed profile of the Igls climb?

Would be nice to compare that to Fiesole imo.

I don't remember how the climbing field at the 2013 was though. I thought it wasn't as much hyped as a climbers chance, was it?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,636
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: World Championships Innsbruck 2018

19 Sep 2018 23:43

Men Juniors

Image
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend
Member
 
Posts: 1,137
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 12:17

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], hayneplane, janraaskalt, Red Rick, SafeBet, Sestriere, tobydawq, WKA311 and 30 guests

Back to top