Register

World Championships Innsbruck 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re:

07 Jun 2018 20:06

DNP-Old wrote:Valverde
Landa
Luisle
Soler
Ion
Gorka
Nieve
Bilbao
Herrada
De La Cruz
Alarcon :D
Roson
Mas
Castroviejo
Fraile
Navarro
Moreno
De La Parte

The best part about this team is that it's leader is clear, all for one. Whereas with the other countries; not so much. Valverde is also one of only few riders who can confidently wait for a sprint if he has to.

The whole danish team will surely be all about Fuglsang (for lack of other options), and it looks like they get a full squad this championship, because of the points amassed during spring.

It will be very light on true climbers though, only Hansen and Eg to support Fuglsang deep into climbs, the rest are more classics types, that will have to slim down significantly to be of use (like Valgren and Cort are already doing, because they need the same for the tour).
Broccolidwarf

Re: Re:

07 Jun 2018 20:57

HelloDolly wrote:
jaylew wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:Italy or Colombia have the strongest team???
Really ?

Then take a gander at this

Froome
A Yates
S Yates
Geraint Thomas
Geoghegan Hart
James Knox
Hugh Carty

It's not bad but I don't see that team winning and only see a couple of true podium contenders.

Maybe but before the advent of both Yates I would have agreed ...now is a different matter
Also if Froome is still riding he will want this...especially if he can beat Nibali/Quintana

Froome has never had a pedigree in one day races, even when he sucked at GTs. Thomas has only had a handful of good classics results as well. Simon Yates is the only rider in that list with a real chance, and he hasn't comfirmed if he's riding.

Hart, Knox and Carthy are not close to the level of Italy, France or Spain's 5th and 6th best available riders for this race, let alone Colombia's. Netherlands with Dumoulin, Kelderman, Mollema, Ten Dam, Oomen, Gesink etc will probably be stronger as well.
Last edited by 42x16ss on 08 Jun 2018 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

07 Jun 2018 21:24

42x16ss wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
jaylew wrote:
Really ?

Froome
A Yates
S Yates
Geraint Thomas
Geoghegan Hart
James Knox
Hugh Carty

It's not bad but I don't see that team winning and only see a couple of true podium contenders.

Maybe but before the advent of both Yates I would have agreed ...now is a different matter
Also if Froome is still riding he will want this...especially if he can beat Nibali/Quintana

Simon Yates is the only rider in that list with a real chance, and he hasn't comfirmed if he's riding.

Why wouldn't he ride, the one year worlds is for the climbers? :surprised:
Broccolidwarf

Re:

07 Jun 2018 21:39

Landa
Luisle
Soler
Ion
Gorka
Nieve
Bilbao
Herrada
De La Cruz
Roson
Mas
Castroviejo
Fraile
Navarro
Moreno
De La Parte

The best part about this team is that it's leader is clear, all for one. Whereas with the other countries; not so much. Valverde is also one of only few riders who can confidently wait for a sprint if he has to.

Yes, but which of those riders are they actually gonna send?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

07 Jun 2018 21:43

RedheadDane wrote:
Landa
Luisle
Soler
Ion
Gorka
Nieve
Bilbao
Herrada
De La Cruz
Roson
Mas
Castroviejo
Fraile
Navarro
Moreno
De La Parte

Valverde, Landa and six others.
User avatar tobydawq

07 Jun 2018 21:48

tobydawq wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:[long list snipped]

Yeah, but who?
Dammit, DNP-Old, if you're gonna make a team suggestion, make a team suggestion rather than just every Spanish rider.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

07 Jun 2018 22:08

RedheadDane wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

Yeah, but who?
Dammit, DNP-Old, if you're gonna make a team suggestion, make a team suggestion rather than just every Spanish rider.

Ion and Gorka and four others ;)
User avatar tobydawq

07 Jun 2018 22:15

RedheadDane wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

Yeah, but who?

I don't know, I don't have some sort of magic 8 ball. A lot depends on form and it's not like there's 8 clear cut choices in there. Valverde will go, that much I know, and he'll probably be the favorite to win it all no matter who starts alongside him.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

07 Jun 2018 22:48

tobydawq wrote:Will Aru even be there or will he just be included in the ITT squad?

Saronni said that he'll ride only in the case he'll be the captain so probably we won't see him.
Anyway Moscon could be an option if he continues to deliver in the mountains.

And a given is that Visconti will ride his own race if selected.
Nirvana

07 Jun 2018 23:49

bambino wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Asero831 wrote:
bambino wrote:
Asero831 wrote:Alaphilippe survived a similar climb today. I really think he has a chance.

The question is... would he have survived 70km more with 7 of those climbs in addittion?

He did manage Col du Mont Noir earlier. He will be dropped by the climbers but you have to understand that these top notched climbers will not work with each other given the final Murito is there. So a minute lead can be covered by the chasers

He managed 2 proper climbs today. He needs to manage 8 proper climbs in September. And of course the teams with proper climbers will create damage throughout the race. Italy will propably sacrifice hard core climbers such as Aru for Nibs, Colombia will do exactly the same i.e. Quintana, Bernal and Chaves might well be domestics for Uran. Puncheurs won't last to the final proper climb and will be 5+ minutes down by the last murito. If not, the leading climber teams have failed miserably and that rarely happens to all of those teams in single day race. Dauphine is a stage race raced like a stage race and is completely different world to single day WCRR.

Other than the fact that Valverde is a puncheur and he's one of the favorites to win. He'll also have a team around him as sole leader for the first time in a long time.

Valverde to me is much more climbing oriented all-rounder with proper puncheur capabilities, but I guess he is one of the rare that are pretty hard to categorize. Alaphilippe might be going to similar direction, but lacks still a lot the climbing side compared to Valv. On the other hand I don't regard Nibali as climber either.[/quote]

Agreed he's hard to categorize, which I think is why his own team gave up and just list him as an all rounder. I agree with you that Nibali is also more of an all rounder. Of course Valv and Nibali are the two biggest favorites for this year's Worlds.
User avatar Koronin

07 Jun 2018 23:58

DNP-Old wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

Yeah, but who?

I don't know, I don't have some sort of magic 8 ball. A lot depends on form and it's not like there's 8 clear cut choices in there. Valverde will go, that much I know, and he'll probably be the favorite to win it all no matter who starts alongside him.

Valverde and most likely he'll have input with the Spanish National Coach on who is supporting him. A lot will depend on form, also some will depend on who is racing la Vuelta. The Spanish National Coach does not like taking guys who don't ride la Vuelta.
Castroviejo will be there are the ITT but very unlikely on the RR team.
Landa is almost certainly going.

My guess right now:
Valverde as undisputed leader.
Landa, Ion and Gorka, Soler, Roson, LL Sanchez, and one other.

Castroviejo and LL Sanchez for the ITT.
User avatar Koronin

08 Jun 2018 01:39

Broccolidwarf wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
jaylew wrote:
Really ?

Froome
A Yates
S Yates
Geraint Thomas
Geoghegan Hart
James Knox
Hugh Carty

Simon Yates is the only rider in that list with a real chance, and he hasn't comfirmed if he's riding.

Why wouldn't he ride, the one year worlds is for the climbers? :surprised:

There’s no obvious reason Yates wouldn’t, he’s probably going, but it’s not confirmed yet as far as I know.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

08 Jun 2018 07:05

tobydawq wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

Yeah, but who?

So, the Spanish national team will consist of Valverde, Landa, and six others. And those six others will consist of Ion, Gorka and four others? Got it!

DNP-Old wrote:I don't know, I don't have some sort of magic 8 ball. A lot depends on form and it's not like there's 8 clear cut choices in there. Valverde will go, that much I know, and he'll probably be the favorite to win it all no matter who starts alongside him.

Make a guess. That's what all the teams being posted here are by this time anyway.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

08 Jun 2018 15:49

RedheadDane wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
[tobydawq wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

Yeah, but who?

So, the Spanish national team will consist of Valverde, Landa, and six others. And those six others will consist of Ion, Gorka and four others? Got it!

DNP-Old wrote:I don't know, I don't have some sort of magic 8 ball. A lot depends on form and it's not like there's 8 clear cut choices in there. Valverde will go, that much I know, and he'll probably be the favorite to win it all no matter who starts alongside him.

Make a guess. That's what all the teams being posted here are by this time anyway.[/quote]

Soler and Roson have a good chance of making the Spanish team.
User avatar Koronin

08 Jun 2018 17:17

Nieve would have to be a certain selection for the Spanish team - An experienced hand who can go deep in the final.
yaco

08 Jun 2018 17:44

How about this for the Spanish team:

Valverde
Landa
Ion
Gorka
Soler
Roson
Nieve
Sanchez
User avatar Koronin

08 Jun 2018 19:12

How about Pello Bilbao? He can go pretty decent in hilly one day races, certainly as an engine. De la Cruz too.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

08 Jun 2018 19:21

Unless Roson does a great Vuelta, I don't see him in the squad. Bilbao is more likely, or someone like Fraile. Lulu needs to be there, the Izagirres too. Nieve is a good suggestion. He doesn't ride a lot of one-day races, but he has some very good results from Lombardia and San Sebastian.
User avatar Squire

08 Jun 2018 19:27

Valverde
Landa
Izagirre
Izagirre
Bilbao
Nieve
Castroviejo
Fraile

Valverde captains team Basque!
User avatar tobydawq