Log in:  

Register

World Championships Innsbruck 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

World Championships Innsbruck 2018

20 Sep 2017 17:57

Team Time Trial
Image

Individual Time Trial
Image

Road Race
Image

Gnadenwald
Image

Igls
Image

Gramartboden
Image
Say hello...you are in hell!
Last edited by Max Rockatansky on 20 Sep 2017 18:14, edited 2 times in total.
Max Rockatansky
Member
 
Posts: 984
Joined: 16 Jun 2015 11:59

20 Sep 2017 18:02

Bring it on.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,198
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

20 Sep 2017 18:14

Looks fantastic! Any profile of the climb on the circuit in the RR?
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,064
Joined: 09 May 2010 08:08

Re: World Championships Innsbruck 2018

20 Sep 2017 18:15

Excellent. Finally a parcours i'm happy with. The time trials are great, too.
User avatar fauniera
Member
 
Posts: 1,385
Joined: 12 Oct 2013 15:00

Re:

20 Sep 2017 18:15

Hugo Koblet wrote:Looks fantastic! Any profile of the climb on the circuit in the RR?


Just added them. :)

Climbing 3 km @ 11% after over 250 kilometers will be insane.
Max Rockatansky
Member
 
Posts: 984
Joined: 16 Jun 2015 11:59

20 Sep 2017 18:19

It looks like sth happened between Lasterketa Burua and La Flamme Rouge about this route:
Raffaele Filippetti is saying that La Flamme Rouge stole the merits, blocked him and the blog.
https://twitter.com/raffilpt/status/910430061941215232
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best
Member
 
Posts: 1,933
Joined: 15 Apr 2016 16:10

20 Sep 2017 18:24

I go back to the fear I have already expressed. Gramartboden is an incredibly hard climb, a true and proper murito. It's unlikely we'll get many attack before it; I mean, sure, those 3km will be an attritional spectacle, but I reckon it'll be like a Xorret del Cati finish, just after a lot of climbing and kilometres. The only real hope I have of it not being 15-30 riders slogging it up 15% gradients is the little flat between the two climbs, but attacking from a largish group on Igls would be tricky considering it's shallow. An attack on the downhill is possible, though. Reverse the order of the two climbs and it would be much better I reckon.

But maybe I'm just pessimistic.

(You may have guessed I don't find races decided on >10% that good)
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,160
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re: World Championships Innsbruck 2018

20 Sep 2017 18:26

http://www.innsbruck-tirol2018.com/fileadmin/Races_Courses/Maps/2018_StR_Herren_Elite_DE.pdf

Probably would have been better with the long lap as the penultimate lap
User avatar roundabout
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,958
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

20 Sep 2017 18:26

Wow! These courses are all great! Can't wait
Last edited by StephenC2020 on 20 Sep 2017 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar StephenC2020
Junior Member
 
Posts: 261
Joined: 31 Dec 2015 14:20

20 Sep 2017 18:27

The lap with Gramart and Igls should have been the 3rd last lap and penultimate lap in my opinion, with only Igls on last lap.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best
Member
 
Posts: 1,933
Joined: 15 Apr 2016 16:10

Re:

20 Sep 2017 18:28

Brullnux wrote:I go back to the fear I have already expressed. Gramartboden is an incredibly hard climb, a true and proper murito. It's unlikely we'll get many attack before it; I mean, sure, those 3km will be an attritional spectacle, but I reckon it'll be like a Xorret del Cati finish, just after a lot of climbing and kilometres. The only real hope I have of it not being 15-30 riders slogging it up 15% gradients is the little flat between the two climbs, but attacking from a largish group on Igls would be tricky considering it's shallow. An attack on the downhill is possible, though. Reverse the order of the two climbs and it would be much better I reckon.

But maybe I'm just pessimistic.

(You may have guessed I don't find races decided on >10% that good)


Do you mean attack downhill from Igls? As far as I remember it's not that difficult. I would say the side used as a climb would have been a more difficult downhill.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,958
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

20 Sep 2017 18:29

Watch Froome winning TdF, WC ITT and WC RR in the same year.
User avatar pink_jersey
Member
 
Posts: 434
Joined: 20 Apr 2012 16:18

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 18:31

roundabout wrote:
Brullnux wrote:I go back to the fear I have already expressed. Gramartboden is an incredibly hard climb, a true and proper murito. It's unlikely we'll get many attack before it; I mean, sure, those 3km will be an attritional spectacle, but I reckon it'll be like a Xorret del Cati finish, just after a lot of climbing and kilometres. The only real hope I have of it not being 15-30 riders slogging it up 15% gradients is the little flat between the two climbs, but attacking from a largish group on Igls would be tricky considering it's shallow. An attack on the downhill is possible, though. Reverse the order of the two climbs and it would be much better I reckon.

But maybe I'm just pessimistic.

(You may have guessed I don't find races decided on >10% that good)


Do you mean attack downhill from Igls? As far as I remember it's not that difficult. I would say the side used as a climb would have been a more difficult downhill.

I haven't seen the route map closely, I was going purely from profiles. It would be hard to attack on the climb itself as it there are a couple of domestiques, he'll be kept within 15 seconds and eaten up on the final climb.
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,160
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re: World Championships Innsbruck 2018

20 Sep 2017 18:32

I just wish the climb to Gramartboden would be included in one of the earlier laps as well. Since it's the final climb I'm afraid everyone will wait for it and there won't be any early moves. That said with so many hard climbs I just hope that the bunch will be reduced early on and therefore the real racing will already start early. So I'm not 100% certain if I like the RR parcours but still without a doubt, the routes for the TT's are great. TTT with a relatively hard climb which will be even more crucial than the climb in this years race, and the ITT is just exactly like it should be. Over 50 km, mostly flat, but a real legbreaker in the middle which will make the race less predictable and more open.

Nibali ftw.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,890
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

20 Sep 2017 18:34

Don't you think we* should get these World Championships done before we start talking about the next? :p











*"We", she says, as if she has anything to do with it.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,942
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

20 Sep 2017 18:35

Colombia should be scary good on this route. France too.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,198
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

20 Sep 2017 18:35

Have these courses become official today? Otherwise there isn't much news to this, is there?

The final climb is too hard and too close to the finish, I think.

Bala to finally become world champion.
User avatar tobydawq
Member
 
Posts: 1,042
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re:

20 Sep 2017 18:36

tobydawq wrote:Have these courses become official today? Otherwise there isn't much news to this, is there?

The final climb is too hard and too close to the finish, I think.

Bala to finally become world champion.


Yes, the presentation was today.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,958
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

Re: World Championships Innsbruck 2018

20 Sep 2017 18:41

The funny thing is, I think almost a year ago someone claimed to know the course and posted it online. Then after a few days the organizers explained that the person who posted that only made a route himself and that it didn't have anything to do with the official one.
Well, turns out the person was spot on and actually we have already seen the parcours one year ago. We even already knew that there would be two different laps and that only for the last one there would be an additional climb. If you search a bit you can even find the discussion on this forum about a route we are now, one year later, discussing again.

Edit: Just looked it up and actually it was never confirmed thats not the real route, don't know why I thought that. It seems like this route was the official proposal but the UCI still had to accept it. Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that this route was actually already discussed here in January this year. Ofc Brullnux was the first one to complain about that route back then as well. :lol:
viewtopic.php?p=2053382#p2053382
Last edited by Gigs_98 on 20 Sep 2017 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,890
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

20 Sep 2017 18:49

In principle it is a proper super hard route, can't complain about that. However, I also fear that they will wait for the last climb. I think the route would have been better without the final murito or if they put the murito earlier in the route. We'll see though. If the riders actually use their brain for a change when deciding on their tactics they'll realize only a few specialists will be able to compete if they wait for the final murito so for a lot of riders it will be better to try and force a strong break and an open race earlier; the terrain is certainly there to do so. This race really doesn't have to be a glorified murito sprint, but I fear it will be due to tactical ineptitude of the riders. Besides Valverde (assuming el imbatido won't be beaten by age either) Dan Martin etc. nobody has any business waiting for the final climb.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,552
Joined: 23 Oct 2011 17:47

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: archa55, bonaqua, Breh, Climbing, davebqvst, Dazed and Confused, DNP-Old, fantomas, Google [Bot], Jaco0505, MADRAZO, Pantani_lives, search, shalgo, staubsauger, Sybrand, yaco, Zoetemelk-fan and 62 guests

Back to top