Register

World Championships Innsbruck 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

01 Oct 2018 19:55

Tim Booth wrote:
[quote="[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2317530#p2317530]RedheadDane wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
DanielSong39 wrote:After hearing about Van Vleuten's injury I'm wondering why she finished the race. Probably would've been better off to DNF once she helped spring van der Breggen's attack.

I thought the same. I hope she didn't aggravate it.

Maybe she didn't realise... crazy as that might sound.

See the Women's racing topic. The injury is not nearly as bad as first reported, and indeed she said it didn't hurt at the time and still doesn't now. It's normal for that kind of injury.

She did realize there was something wrong but only because she only had "90% power instead of 100%". Again, it's not an injury that causes pain. It's not a broken knee or a broken tibia or any of the other outrageous things that were first reported. Just some damage to a section of cancellous bone, not "real" bone.

She needs to not put much pressure on it to accelerate the recovery, but otherwise it's fine.

Sounds like she should be alright then. That's good.[/quote]
She's not. Out for 3 months.
Immediately after the finish, an MRI scan brought the bad news. "That there is really something broken off in my knee and that there is also a bit of dislocation. It really had a serious impact ", says Van Vleuten, who hears Monday that she probably needs surgery. "Of course there is also disappointment now. I can cancel the plans I had to go on holiday with my best friend to the Philippines and train in December in Colombia. I had already booked my ticket and I was really looking forward to it. All those plans now have to go into the refrigerator. The recovery will take a very long time. "
http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/annemiek-van-vleuten-zeker-drie-maanden-langs-de-kant/[/quote]

Not good, hopefully she can fully recover from it.
User avatar Koronin

01 Oct 2018 20:02

tobydawq wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Dunno why I only realised this now, but sometimes the compo of National colours + team colours is just downright horrible.
Take the red and white of the Danish national kit, coupled with the blue of Astana...

The Danish really need to permanently ride in that beautiful Olympics kit and throw away this ugly 1980 thing, they have going on.

Plus it gets medals to the male elite.

But would it do anything about the weird pairing with the Astana colours?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

01 Oct 2018 20:25

RedheadDane wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Dunno why I only realised this now, but sometimes the compo of National colours + team colours is just downright horrible.
Take the red and white of the Danish national kit, coupled with the blue of Astana...

The Danish really need to permanently ride in that beautiful Olympics kit and throw away this ugly 1980 thing, they have going on.

Plus it gets medals to the male elite.

But would it do anything about the weird pairing with the Astana colours?

Actually, I think they had matching helmets in the Olympics too.

Even Valverde's gloves and helmets looked a bit bad combined with the yellow and red Cofidis jersey he rode in.
User avatar tobydawq

01 Oct 2018 20:30

Wasn't that something about all riders on (trade) teams using Specialized getting special bikes and helmets?
Think it was, found a picture where Chris Juul is clearly wearing a Orica-Whatever-they-were-called-then helmet.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

01 Oct 2018 20:40

RedheadDane wrote:

Wasn't that something about all riders on (trade) teams using Specialized getting special bikes and helmets?
Think it was, found a picture where Chris Juul is clearly wearing a Orica-Whatever-they-were-called-then helmet.

Ah, you're right. It was all the Astana riders who had matching (but not normal Astana standard issue) helmets. And probably QuickStep and Tinkoff too, that's true.

But no turquoise back then - that probably helped on the general look.
User avatar tobydawq

07 Oct 2018 22:38

Valv.Piti wrote:Just select Matthews now. Porte is utterly pathetic. So is the coach if he isn't select Blingy.

Brad McGee has clarified Michael Matthews’s unpopular absence from Australia’s road team at the recent World Championships, saying the puncheur wasn’t initially interested in a position on the squad this year.
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/article/2018/10/07/matthews-worlds-winner-not-domestique-says-mcgee
Tim Booth

Previous

Return to Professional road racing