Register

World Championships Innsbruck 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

17 Sep 2018 12:43

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Unbelievable they don't select Kragh for the RR.

This is beyond me as well, he is basically better on all terrain then some of the guys selected.
User avatar Ruudz0r

Re:

17 Sep 2018 14:20

I believe he has been allowed to focus solely on the tt
Bushman

Re:

17 Sep 2018 15:02

SafeBet wrote:Italy's long list (9/12 will be selected)

Fabio Aru (UAE Team Emirates)
Gianluca Brambilla (Trek-Segafredo)
Damiano Caruso (BMC)
Dario Cataldo (Astana)
Alessandro De Marchi (BMC)
Davide Formolo (Bora-hansgrohe)
Gianni Moscon (Sky)
Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida)
Franco Pellizotti (Bahrain-Merida)
Domenico Pozzovivo (Bahrain-Merida)
Davide Villella (Astana)
Giovanni Visconti (Bahrain-Merida)

TT
Fabio Felline (Trek-Segafredo)

Why no Ulissi?
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re:

17 Sep 2018 15:13

Damiano Caruso (BMC)
Dario Cataldo (Astana)
Gianni Moscon (Sky)
Davide Villella (Astana)

Italy coach Davide Cassani has announced the names of 7 of the 8 riders who will compete in the Innsbruck World Championship race. Vincenzo Nibali, Domenico Pozzovivo and Franco Pellizotti, Gianni Moscon, Fabio Aru, Damiano Caruso and Alessandro De Marchi. The final place will be awarded to one of Gianluca Brambilla, Dario Cataldo, or Davide Formolo.
Tim Booth

Re: Re:

17 Sep 2018 16:15

jaylew wrote:

Damiano Caruso (BMC)
Dario Cataldo (Astana)
Gianni Moscon (Sky)
Davide Villella (Astana)

TT

Why no Ulissi?

Never done anything relevant in Monuments.
Never worked for anyone not named Diego Ulissi.
And this was his worst season in a long time.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

17 Sep 2018 16:21

SafeBet wrote:
jaylew wrote:

Damiano Caruso (BMC)
Dario Cataldo (Astana)
Gianni Moscon (Sky)
Davide Villella (Astana)

TT

Why no Ulissi?

Never done anything relevant in Monuments.
Never worked for anyone not named Diego Ulissi.
And this was his worst season in a long time.

I guess that one is the key since it seems like he's on decent form. :p
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

17 Sep 2018 19:05

Bushman wrote:

I believe he has been allowed to focus solely on the tt

Yes, they've said tonight that it's his own choice to skip the RR, also because his season is far from over yet (he will ride Guangxi as his final race) and he was afraid the RR would compromise later goals with it being so tough.

Not the biggest team player move but whatever.
User avatar tobydawq

18 Sep 2018 13:56

Spanish team announced it's 8 riders today:

Valverde (sole leader)
E Mas
I Izagirre
Jesus Herrada
Nieve
de la Cruz
Castroviejo
the last spot is either Landa or Fraile, dependent on Landa's health

For the TT
Castroviejo gets the first spot
the 2nd spot is still between Erviti, Soler, and Acras
User avatar Koronin

18 Sep 2018 14:58

I'm really liking the French team...I think they're the best bet to upset Valverde.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

18 Sep 2018 16:07

Koronin wrote:Spanish team announced it's 8 riders today:

Valverde (sole leader)
E Mas
I Izagirre
Jesus Herrada
Nieve
de la Cruz
Castroviejo

For the TT

I don't get why they want to bring Landa to this race. Fraile just proved that he can be a strong work horse for his captain. Landa will lack all the deepness, that will be needed. I could only understand this, if he was a capitain de la route kind of rider.

Jspear wrote:I'm really liking the French team...I think they're the best bet to upset Valverde.

They are not the ones to upset anybody. Julian Alaphilippe is the number one favorite for rainbow glory, in my opinion.
Max Rockatansky

18 Sep 2018 19:01

Max Rockatansky wrote:

Valverde (sole leader)
E Mas
I Izagirre
Jesus Herrada
Nieve
de la Cruz
Castroviejo

For the TT

I don't get why they want to bring Landa to this race. Fraile just proved that he can be a strong work horse for his captain. Landa will lack all the deepness, that will be needed. I could only understand this, if he was a capitain de la route kind of rider.

Jspear wrote:I'm really liking the French team...I think they're the best bet to upset Valverde.

They are not the ones to upset anybody. Julian Alaphilippe is the number one favorite for rainbow glory, in my opinion.

I agree. I'm not sure why they are insistent on taking Landa with his injuries. Fraile seems to be the better option right now.
User avatar Koronin

18 Sep 2018 20:40

Max Rockatansky wrote:

Valverde (sole leader)
E Mas
I Izagirre
Jesus Herrada
Nieve
de la Cruz
Castroviejo

For the TT

It's a pretty bold statement. With such amount of climbing, and no Vuelta in his legs, I don't see him as a number one favorite. One of the favorites, yes.
In fact I don't see a clear favorite. It would be Valverde, but he had finished Vuelta very badly, it's a big question how his form will look like in Innsbruck.
Other big favorite would be Nibali, but we all know what happened to him and we all watched Vuelta to know that he is far from best form.
Colombians are dangerous with their numbers, Alaphilippe's teammate Pinot could be the danger man too, Yates bros. could be deadly, Adam is relatively fresh and Simon, well we all saw what he can do.
And after these, I would call them first tiers, we have many more, like Dutch team with Dumoulin, Poels and Kruiswijk, we have Belgium with Wellens, we have Slovenia with Roglic and Mohoric, we have Kwiatkowski...
User avatar Blanco

18 Sep 2018 21:06

And Sagan and Greg which the route most likely will eliminate, but maybe not before the last climb. Of the more obscure nations, look out for Carapaz - he looked in great shape on the Andorra stage and he definitely is a rider for steep walls in the end.

Denmark havent selected Kragh because he said he didn't want to. Of course he would auto selected no matter what on any given route, basically. Pedersen and Cort are too tired at this point and the route isn't great for them. I believe Valgren has a better shot at making a great result than Fuglsang.

The Yates brothers look great, particularly Adam. I understand why Froome and Thomas skips the race, Froome is a horrible one day racer with the Giro and Tour in the legs and Thomas won the Tour. Thats the worlds on steroids during 21 days.

Very nice spanish team, last chance for Valverde most likely. Maybe Yorkshire could be relevant as well (It will), but he wont get a better chance than here. They have some riders which did great in La Vuelta and is in shape.

And the Australian coach must be utterly retarded. I cant believe they allow such incompency, thinking that Porte/Haig will do the trick is beyong retarded really. Matthews could do great on this course Im sure.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

18 Sep 2018 21:25

Valv.Piti wrote:And Sagan and Greg which the route most likely will eliminate, but maybe not before the last climb. Of the more obscure nations, look out for Carapaz - he looked in great shape on the Andorra stage and he definitely is a rider for steep walls in the end.

Denmark havent selected Kragh because he said he didn't want to. Of course he would auto selected no matter what on any given route, basically. Pedersen and Cort are too tired at this point and the route isn't great for them. I believe Valgren has a better shot at making a great result than Fuglsang.

The Yates brothers look great, particularly Adam. I understand why Froome and Thomas skips the race, Froome is a horrible one day racer with the Giro and Tour in the legs and Thomas won the Tour. Thats the worlds on steroids during 21 days.

Very nice spanish team, last chance for Valverde most likely. Maybe Yorkshire could be relevant as well (It will), but he wont get a better chance than here. They have some riders which did great in La Vuelta and is in shape.

And the Australian coach must be utterly retarded. I cant believe they allow such incompency, thinking that Porte/Haig will do the trick is beyong retarded really. Matthews could do great on this course Im sure.

Yeah, the omission of Matthews is ridiculously stupid, really. Top four in the last three WC's, top five in LBL and Flèche in the last couple of years, winning both Canadian races. Everything points to him being a more severe threat than Sagan and GvA. It's probably still too hard for him, but Porte was embarrassing in the Vuelta and he will not feature at all, meaning that Matthews could be a very interesting X-factor.

Just throwing that out the window (and with no really good alternatives) is idiocy. Hell, he could even be a helper, if that was required.

I really feel for him, even if he isn't a favourite of mine.
User avatar tobydawq

18 Sep 2018 21:29

Belgium is flying a bit under the radar, Dylan Teuns is in great shape and Benoot and Wellens are always dangerous, if the weather is bad their chances will increase, add De Plus, Hermans, GvA for long range attacks and Pauwels and you have a dangerous team that has a few options, if they play their cards the right way they could really surprise people.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

18 Sep 2018 22:06

I hope we have internet back by the time they race the RR.
User avatar Koronin

18 Sep 2018 22:10

South African riders: https://twitter.com/williesmurfy/status/1042043625763467265 Unfortunately I also had to withdraw after receiving an email yesterday morning stating that apart from Flights, accommodation, travel expenses, cycling Kit I now also need to pay for the vechiles and staff.

SA’s Hendricks, Impey pull out of UCI Road World Champs
https://inthebunch.co.za/2018/09/sas-hendricks-impey-pull-out-of-uci-road-world-champs/
CTQ

18 Sep 2018 23:33

Max Rockatansky wrote:

Valverde (sole leader)
E Mas
I Izagirre
Jesus Herrada
Nieve
de la Cruz
Castroviejo

For the TT

He is a favorite along with Valverde. Pinot could also do great plus Bardet is not scared of attacking, plus they’ll still have other great climbers for support. That’s why I think France has a great shot. It’s much more than just Alaphilippe.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

19 Sep 2018 00:27

So, it might... snow?

https://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Naechste-Woche-kommt-Schnee-bis-in-die-Staedte/349032903

Snow is coming to the cities next week
Funky: Innsbruck and Salzburg could already be white next week.

This week it gets hot one last time. It expects us largely sunny sunny late summer weather with temperatures up to the 30-degree mark. On Tuesday it clears up after fog and high fog in the morning, in the whole country it is bright sunny at up to 30 degrees. On Wednesday there are some showers in the west, also thunderstorms are possible. The rest of the country remains dry and sunny at up to 28 degrees. Also on Thursday and Friday it stays warm. The harbingers of autumn, which starts on Sunday, will come to the weekend.

onset of winter

Just in time for the beginning of autumn, there could be a first onset of winter. According to current forecasts, it could snow to many valleys next week. Towards the end of the week we will reach a powerful low. This is accompanied by the first minus degrees and fresh snow.

Especially in the west of the country, it could snow down into many valleys. For example, Innsbruck or Salzburg could already turn white. There should be no larger amounts of snow. In Vienna, on the other hand, it will be necessary to wait for the first snow. In addition, the forecasts are currently still uncertain.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

Re:

19 Sep 2018 00:28

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:So, it might... snow?

https://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Naechste-Woche-kommt-Schnee-bis-in-die-Staedte/349032903

Snow is coming to the cities next week
Funky: Innsbruck and Salzburg could already be white next week.

This week it gets hot one last time. It expects us largely sunny sunny late summer weather with temperatures up to the 30-degree mark. On Tuesday it clears up after fog and high fog in the morning, in the whole country it is bright sunny at up to 30 degrees. On Wednesday there are some showers in the west, also thunderstorms are possible. The rest of the country remains dry and sunny at up to 28 degrees. Also on Thursday and Friday it stays warm. The harbingers of autumn, which starts on Sunday, will come to the weekend.

onset of winter

Just in time for the beginning of autumn, there could be a first onset of winter. According to current forecasts, it could snow to many valleys next week. Towards the end of the week we will reach a powerful low. This is accompanied by the first minus degrees and fresh snow.

Especially in the west of the country, it could snow down into many valleys. For example, Innsbruck or Salzburg could already turn white. There should be no larger amounts of snow. In Vienna, on the other hand, it will be necessary to wait for the first snow. In addition, the forecasts are currently still uncertain.

So wait a minute. We just had a hurricane and they might get snow? Something doesn't seem right with this picture.
User avatar Koronin

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing