Register

Predict the Giro-Tour-Vuelta wildcards! (2nd edition)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

01 Dec 2017 10:09

Giro:
- Androni as cup winners
- Israel Cycling Academy due to start location
- Wilier because they have a "project" (and Mareczko would've won 2 stages this year if it weren't for Gaviria)
- Gazprom for the money (Bardiani to be punished)

Tour:
- Cofidis
- Direct Energie
- Fortuneo
- Wanty

Reasons to pick Wanty over Vital Concept:
1) Martin is a valid candidate for the white jersey, whereas Coquard is not the main French green jersey candidate anymore after Demare's performance this year.
2) Most Vital Concept riders will struggle to make the time cut in the mountains. Finishing in Paris with only 3 or 4 riders is not good for ASO either.
3) This year, Wanty was at occasions the only team to send riders up the road on flat stages. Who will go in the breakaway if Wanty isn't there? Not Vital Concept as they are a sprinting squad. If there is no breakaway, average speed will drop and some stages may finish (too) late. Not good for several reasons.

Vuelta:
1) Cofidis
2) Caja Rural
3) Euskadi
4) Burgos
Hakkie2

Re: Re:

01 Dec 2017 19:30

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Orodreth wrote:Euskadi-Murias will be in La Vuelta and that was confirmed for several months.

http://www.elcorreo.com/bizkaia/deportes/ciclismo/vuelta-espana/201705/16/euskadi-murias-estara-vuelta-20170516130325.html

Ya tenemos la confirmación de Javier Guillén, responsable de la Vuelta, de que estaremos en su prueba la próxima temporada. Y también estaremos en la Vuelta al País Vasco y en la Clásica de San Sebastián», ha confirmado Odriozola"

That confirms that the team manager claims that the Vuelta organisers confirmed to them that they will get a wildcard. Teams have not however always been reliable in such claims. Or am I getting it garbled by Google Translate?

Still though, it certainly makes it look more likely that they will get an invite. Which would presumably mean that Burgos - as a stronger looking team - will get one too.

Yes, that's right.
Orodreth
Newly Registered Member

08 Jan 2018 17:07

Tour: cofidis-Fortuneo (CC Barguil)-Direct Energie and Wanty-Groupe-Gobert
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

08 Jan 2018 23:09

Its almost a case of Guillaume Martin > Bryan Coquard. I like the selections, wouldn't have done anything different. Well, I would have invited Euskadi Murias and Manzana Postobon, but we all know that isn't particularly realistic.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Predict the Giro-Tour-Vuelta wildcards! (2nd edition)

19 Jan 2018 12:16

Giro wild cards should have been announced this week, but there´s a delay.

Vegni is having a hard time deciding, and I fear there will be surprises. I´ve heard "Androni are lucky they won the Italian Cup last year" (that gives a Giro wild card)
Israel Cycling Academy is sure

Gazprom, Aquablue, Nippo, Wilier for 2 wild cards, I dont think Bardiani has any chance
pastronef

Re: Predict the Giro-Tour-Vuelta wildcards! (2nd edition)

19 Jan 2018 12:40

pastronef wrote:Giro wild cards should have been announced this week, but there´s a delay.

Vegni is having a hard time deciding, and I fear there will be surprises. I´ve heard "Androni are lucky they won the Italian Cup last year" (that gives a Giro wild card)
Israel Cycling Academy is sure

Gazprom, Aquablue, Nippo, Wilier for 2 wild cards, I dont think Bardiani has any chance

I don't understand :confused:

They are better than all other Italian teams, that's not even a contest.
User avatar Alexandre B.

19 Jan 2018 16:25

Savio has been dismissed by Vegni lately. Without winning the Italian cup there might've been no wildcard for Androni once again.

Bardiani eventually always gets invited. With the notable exception being 2009 after the Sella - Priamo incident. They've got Giulio Ciccone who should be back at his best in 2018 and already won a mountain stage 2 years ago at the age of 21. I think the surprise very well might be that Bardiani is in after all. They're the only major Italian farm team left. Somehow you need to invite them to the Giro because of this.
User avatar staubsauger

Re:

19 Jan 2018 17:02

staubsauger wrote:Savio has been dismissed by Vegni lately. Without winning the Italian cup there might've been no wildcard for Androni once again.

Bardiani eventually always gets invited. With the notable exception being 2009 after the Sella - Priamo incident. They've got Giulio Ciccone who should be back at his best in 2018 and already won a mountain stage 2 years ago at the age of 21. I think the surprise very well might be that Bardiani is in after all. They're the only major Italian farm team left. Somehow you need to invite them to the Giro because of this.

and after the 2 positives on Giro´s eve last year (and they kept racing the Giro) I think there´s no place for them this year.
pastronef

19 Jan 2018 20:38

I hadn’t heard that Aquablue were in the running. It makes sporting sense given that they were one of only two PCT teams to win a GT stage last year, but they don’t have an existing relationship with RCS. Did they get even one RCS race invite last year?

(It could be that, like Gazprom and ICA there’s money being offered of course)
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

19 Jan 2018 20:50

RCS always invites Yellowfluo besides Di Luca, Santa, Rambo etc. It would be a bit harsh to suddenly field an example on Bardiani, then. And Yellowfluo is an absolute useless team. Even with Mareczko who has been useless in the bunch sprints for 2 years now. Although this time around with Gorilla, Viviani and Ewan as competition he might in fact stand a chance.

I guess we might still end up with 5 wildcards. That's probably the reason for the delay. There's still some paperwork to do with the UCI.

Dammit, I hope they ain't gonna invite Israel Cycling Academy & Gazprom. One wildcard favored by a big paycheck is enough and Israel Cycling Academy has strengthen its rooster quite decently to be honest. With Foliforov being pack fodder nowadays and Firsanov being past his prime I see no reason to invite the Sowjets. Unless someone like Lil Zakaria or Rybalkin suddenly steps up big time.
User avatar staubsauger

Re:

19 Jan 2018 20:55

staubsauger wrote:RCS always invites Yellowfluo besides Di Luca, Santa, Rambo etc. It would be a bit harsh to suddenly field an example on Bardiani, then. And Yellowfluo is an absolute useless team. Even with Mareczko who has been useless in the bunch sprints for 2 years now. Although this time around with Gorilla, Viviani and Ewan as competition he might in fact stand a chance.

I guess we might still end up with 5 wildcards. That's probably the reason for the delay. There's still some paperwork to do with the UCI.

Dammit, I hope they ain't gonna invite Israel Cycling Academy & Gazprom. One wildcard favored by a big paycheck is enough and Israel Cycling Academy has strengthen its rooster quite decently to be honest. With Foliforov being pack fodder nowadays and Firsanov being past his prime I see no reason to invite the Sowjets. Unless someone like Lil Zakaria or Rybalkin suddenly steps up big time.

Wait, why 5 wildcards?
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re: Re:

19 Jan 2018 20:56

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
staubsauger wrote:RCS always invites Yellowfluo besides Di Luca, Santa, Rambo etc. It would be a bit harsh to suddenly field an example on Bardiani, then. And Yellowfluo is an absolute useless team. Even with Mareczko who has been useless in the bunch sprints for 2 years now. Although this time around with Gorilla, Viviani and Ewan as competition he might in fact stand a chance.

Wait, why 5 wildcards?

Because Vegni's gonna make a great deal, so it's Italy first! :cool: :D

Zomegnan has done it before.
User avatar staubsauger

19 Jan 2018 21:10

He's also rescinded wild cards just days before the start because he changed his mind
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

20 Jan 2018 15:15

GuyIncognito wrote:He's also rescinded wild cards just days before the start because he changed his mind

yes, 2008 comes to mind.

in my dreams I hope Pippo+Scinto get left home but I fear it won´t happen. and the 5 wild cards is impossible, otherwise the Tour would have done the same and got Vital-Concept too
pastronef

20 Jan 2018 16:36

Androni Giocattoli, Bardiani, Israel Cycling Academy and Wilier Triestina.
User avatar DNP-Old

20 Jan 2018 16:43

Bardiani are really lucky to get invited after their dreadful 2017.
User avatar Alexandre B.

20 Jan 2018 17:02

Yeah but with Ciccone (who despite taking most the season off gained almost half their points) they perhaps offer more on paper than Nippo as most their riders are kind of over the hill (Cunego, Ponzi, Santaromita etc.). Apart from Canola also they struggled a bit last year, especially now they've lost Filosi and De Negri. Although last year was truly very awful for Bardiani. However they are the last purely Italian feeder team left so there's also that.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

20 Jan 2018 17:08

Brullnux wrote:Yeah but with Ciccone (who despite taking most the season off gained almost half their points) they perhaps offer more on paper than Nippo as most their riders are kind of over the hill (Cunego, Ponzi, Santaromita etc.). Apart from Canola also they struggled a bit last year, especially now they've lost Filosi and De Negri. Although last year was truly very awful for Bardiani. However they are the last purely Italian feeder team left so there's also that.

You have doping violations then you are out

What message does it give otherwise

The sport is a joke
HelloDolly

20 Jan 2018 17:16

Coquard missing MSR, his 2nu goal of the season hè cant ride, lets see if he does get a wildcard for the AGR
User avatar Ruudz0r

20 Jan 2018 17:28

breaks my heart cunego won't get to ride the giro.
Frankschleck

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing