Log in:  

Register

Tour de France 2019

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

17 Oct 2018 08:43

So? Its better than what we have seen in 2012 and 2017
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

17 Oct 2018 09:27

I mean that it barely matters.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,525
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

17 Oct 2018 11:03

Valv.Piti wrote:Cant see whats wrong with that, thats a lot of climbing before Planche


Kind of, but that's beside the point. Because no other climbs were mentioned I assume that they won't do the full Ballon d'Alsace ascent, but descend to the southwest. Loads of false flat between Col du Hundsruck and Ballon d'Alsace and before PdBF that way, which can easily be avoided.

Just use Chevrères (or Ballon de Servance, if raceable) as the penultimate climb instead.
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,521
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

17 Oct 2018 11:16

But I just assume that ASO are a bunch of clueless race organizers so I wont get so worked up over that and instead applaud them for at least including some nice climbs beforehand..
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

20 Oct 2018 08:54

https://www.velonews.com/2018/10/from-the-mag/is-the-tour-de-france-in-trouble_480286

I agree with a lot of the article, and yet i can't help think that the world cup really took stole some of the tour's thunder. In another year ratings and roadside crowds etc. might have been the same. Any competitiveness issues should be blamed on other teams, not sky. (The Froome case was just a big pile of Not Good all around, however)
Bolder
Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: 25 Jun 2015 07:29

20 Oct 2018 09:07

The Tour is only running on name recognition and it's favourable July spot nowadays. I think better coverage has made the Giro and Vuelta somewhat more appealing to casual viewers, and those who watch those races will likely enjoy the more than the Tour.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,525
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Tour de France 2019

20 Oct 2018 12:05

I don't actually agree with the article. I think this is just an article of a cycling fan who (like most cycling fans) is frustrated by the boredom we witness every July trying to somehow find signs of the boredom actually harming the race. But then the main argument of the article is a slight drop in viewership during the first week which took place at the same time as the knock out stage of the world cup and if that's your main argument you basically don't have an argument at all. Right now what's really troubling is not that the tour is in a massive crisis but that it's still perfectly healthy. The tour has no right to be a financial success but somehow it is anyway and imo cycling can only really start to change for the better when it's biggest event, the tour, is starting to get into difficulties.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,750
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

20 Oct 2018 12:21

The Tour will be in trouble if riders like Thomas continue winning!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,359
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

Re:

20 Oct 2018 12:34

Escarabajo wrote:The Tour will be in trouble if riders like Thomas continue winning!


if Dumoulin had won instead of Thomas would the race have been more exciting ? If a Frenchman won, all of this would be forgotten in a hurry but I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,510
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

20 Oct 2018 12:43

Red Rick wrote:The Tour is only running on name recognition and it's favourable July spot nowadays. I think better coverage has made the Giro and Vuelta somewhat more appealing to casual viewers, and those who watch those races will likely enjoy the more than the Tour.


I thought the coverage of the Vuelta was atrocious. The Vuelta definitely needs a new TV director. Do casual viewers even know about races outside the Tour ? The Tour is kinda like Wimbledon for casual tennis fans. If someone is only going to watch only one race during the year it will be the Tour probably. Personally the Giro was my favourite grand tour this year simply because it was the most dramatic and had some good mountain stages.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,510
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

20 Oct 2018 12:51

movingtarget wrote:
Red Rick wrote:The Tour is only running on name recognition and it's favourable July spot nowadays. I think better coverage has made the Giro and Vuelta somewhat more appealing to casual viewers, and those who watch those races will likely enjoy the more than the Tour.


I thought the coverage of the Vuelta was atrocious. The Vuelta definitely needs a new TV director. Do casual viewers even know about races outside the Tour ? The Tour is kinda like Wimbledon for casual tennis fans. If someone is only going to watch only one race during the year it will be the Tour probably. Personally the Giro was my favourite grand tour this year simply because it was the most dramatic and had some good mountain stages.

Just like every year other than 2012.
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 1,315
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

Re: Re:

20 Oct 2018 13:02

movingtarget wrote:
Red Rick wrote:The Tour is only running on name recognition and it's favourable July spot nowadays. I think better coverage has made the Giro and Vuelta somewhat more appealing to casual viewers, and those who watch those races will likely enjoy the more than the Tour.


I thought the coverage of the Vuelta was atrocious. The Vuelta definitely needs a new TV director. Do casual viewers even know about races outside the Tour ? The Tour is kinda like Wimbledon for casual tennis fans. If someone is only going to watch only one race during the year it will be the Tour probably. Personally the Giro was my favourite grand tour this year simply because it was the most dramatic and had some good mountain stages.

Coverage itself was bad, but I think both races are most definitely getting more international recognition and fields.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,525
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

20 Oct 2018 18:01

I deleted a number of posts that were off topic at the very best.

Please stay on topic.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,525
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

20 Oct 2018 18:34

Red Rick wrote:The Tour is only running on name recognition and it's favourable July spot nowadays. I think better coverage has made the Giro and Vuelta somewhat more appealing to casual viewers, and those who watch those races will likely enjoy the more than the Tour.


How much of the boredom is caused by full race coverage. used to be got about 2 hours at end of race now 5+ that for most stages is 4 hours of a travelogue.
cantpedal
Member
 
Posts: 326
Joined: 10 Sep 2013 01:08

Re: Re:

20 Oct 2018 19:01

movingtarget wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:The Tour will be in trouble if riders like Thomas continue winning!


if Dumoulin had won instead of Thomas would the race have been more exciting ? If a Frenchman won, all of this would be forgotten in a hurry but I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.


agree, if Dumo just hang on to Thomas and beat him for yellow in the last TT would the Tour have been saved?
well, for twitter yes. :D
pastronef
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,349
Joined: 19 Aug 2011 08:25
Location: Italia

21 Oct 2018 09:12

as far as I can get, it's more down to sky bringing their AA-team to the tour, not tour itself always being a complete borefest
dacooley
Member
 
Posts: 1,672
Joined: 30 May 2015 15:37

21 Oct 2018 11:06

I can't get the Giro on TV. I do get the Tour and the Vuelta. I can't speak for the Giro but day to day, the Vuelta is more exciting and isn't afraid to build situations where the GC can be disrupted more than one cataclysmic stage at the end of the second week like the Tour has been. Been watching since 99.
Nobody73
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 22 Mar 2017 11:21

21 Oct 2018 16:10

So October 25th is the day. Calm down there at the back! :D
https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1044514341834379264

Facebook live too. https://www.facebook.com/letour
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,994
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

21 Oct 2018 19:22

Went through the rumoured route on the fly, and what caught my attention are the high mountains. Wonder if the ASO's intention is to give a contribution to the global warming awareness. Some anniversaries on the topic next year, besides the latest disagreements, and the glaciers are good indicators of the process. No lying with areal shots from several decades ago and next year.

Cycling-wise, the route looks promising to me. The GC relevant stages spread through all three weeks (not taking into account GC relevant mishaps), visits to all mountain ranges, Rhône valley, Aude, Hérault, Gard, in search for the winds.
After all, the riders will make the race not the route.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,015
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

Re:

21 Oct 2018 23:19

sir fly wrote:Went through the rumoured route on the fly, and what caught my attention are the high mountains. Wonder if the ASO's intention is to give a contribution to the global warming awareness. Some anniversaries on the topic next year, besides the latest disagreements, and the glaciers are good indicators of the process. No lying with areal shots from several decades ago and next year.

Cycling-wise, the route looks promising to me. The GC relevant stages spread through all three weeks (not taking into account GC relevant mishaps), visits to all mountain ranges, Rhône valley, Aude, Hérault, Gard, in search for the winds.
After all, the riders will make the race not the route.

I agree with that last sentence, and pretty much with the rest of your post. Now the global warming and glacier mention make me drool as a Jandri advocate (from Les Clapiers :eek: ). Zonc on steroids.

We're almost there, the Tour bashers will bash no matter what, I'll give the route a 8, the usual :) .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,140
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rokopt and 164 guests

Back to top