Log in:  

Register

Tour de France 2019

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Tour de France 2019

25 Oct 2018 16:26

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Probably one of the most anti-TT courses ever. Wonder if Dumoulin still will ride the Tour

He’s one of the best climbers so yes.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,628
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

Re:

25 Oct 2018 16:35

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:btw I also have to laugh at Preudhomme and ASO for their call on banning power meters. I can say with 100% certainty this will have 0,0 effect whatsoever. These guys are so trained on what effort to ride and how they really dont need to stare at their meters to do so.

If they think this will have any effect they are really as stupid as I thought they were


Agreed. Several guys have come out and said pro's know very well how much watts they are pushing and most of them, including Sky if I remember correctly, don't even bother to make much use of them during a race.
qwerty16
Junior Member
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 24 Dec 2009 18:24

Re:

25 Oct 2018 16:45

hrotha wrote:I mean, we've heard many riders say they rode this or that stage with an eye on their power meters to make sure they wouldn't risk blowing up, but who can argue with "no it won't" and "f#cking fanny"?

Nibali once asked for such a ban
- explains why skybois are so florid in there talk
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,768
Joined: 16 Feb 2010 14:25
Location: Sardinia

Re:

25 Oct 2018 17:06

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:btw I also have to laugh at Preudhomme and ASO for their call on banning power meters. I can say with 100% certainty this will have 0,0 effect whatsoever. These guys are so trained on what effort to ride and how they really dont need to stare at their meters to do so.

If they think this will have any effect they are really as stupid as I thought they were


If true then why do they use them? And why should they be used? Does it add any value to cycling?
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,509
Joined: 25 May 2010 05:54
Location: the Netherlands

25 Oct 2018 17:13

They do watch their power meter all the time, and the DSs even more.
User avatar Climbing
Member
 
Posts: 1,832
Joined: 08 Jun 2010 08:18

25 Oct 2018 17:19

Banning power metres for a more authentic experience is good. But it wouldn't have any effect.

And Team Sky isn't a robotic unit. Someone like Geraint Thomas always look up when he rides.
Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,421
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

25 Oct 2018 17:37

Lack of ITT kms is just a complete joke, it wont help Bardet anyway. And the banning of power meters wont help either, after all, USPS rode without them the Sky way all those years and they had no problem.
rehy90
Junior Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 15:08

Re: Re:

25 Oct 2018 17:44

hrotha wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:btw I also have to laugh at Preudhomme and ASO for their call on banning power meters. I can say with 100% certainty this will have 0,0 effect whatsoever. These guys are so trained on what effort to ride and how they really dont need to stare at their meters to do so.

If they think this will have any effect they are really as stupid as I thought they were

You know what's less precise than a power meter? Going by feeling alone.
It's not exactly difficult, you know.
kingjr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,589
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 18:53
Location: Germany

Re:

25 Oct 2018 19:00

Velolover2 wrote:Banning power metres for a more authentic experience is good. But it wouldn't have any effect.

And Team Sky isn't a robotic unit. Someone like Geraint Thomas always look up when he rides.


Its an illusion that there will be big changes, but a rider doesnt have to ride like Froome to check its powermeter. I dont even think Froome looks at his powermeter everytime he looks down.

The question is why do they need to have power meters?
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,509
Joined: 25 May 2010 05:54
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Re:

25 Oct 2018 19:17

Kwibus wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:Banning power metres for a more authentic experience is good. But it wouldn't have any effect.

And Team Sky isn't a robotic unit. Someone like Geraint Thomas always look up when he rides.


Its an illusion that there will be big changes, but a rider doesnt have to ride like Froome to check its powermeter. I dont even think Froome looks at his powermeter everytime he looks down.

The question is why do they need to have power meters?

Postal was more stop nd go than constantly grinding the same pace because that's what Lance prefered.
No powermeters won't affect the main guys, but it could affect the mmbers of th tran who are told to ride a certain wattage until they are cooked, no pm would make that a bit more difficult.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,465
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

Re: Re:

25 Oct 2018 19:20

kingjr wrote:
hrotha wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:btw I also have to laugh at Preudhomme and ASO for their call on banning power meters. I can say with 100% certainty this will have 0,0 effect whatsoever. These guys are so trained on what effort to ride and how they really dont need to stare at their meters to do so.

If they think this will have any effect they are really as stupid as I thought they were

You know what's less precise than a power meter? Going by feeling alone.
It's not exactly difficult, you know.

Indeed. Dumoulin for instance never has his power meter on in races. He rides by feeling (just under what he feels like is his limit). It's very easy for most TT specialists
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,062
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re: Re:

25 Oct 2018 19:21

Mayomaniac wrote:
Kwibus wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:Banning power metres for a more authentic experience is good. But it wouldn't have any effect.

And Team Sky isn't a robotic unit. Someone like Geraint Thomas always look up when he rides.


Its an illusion that there will be big changes, but a rider doesnt have to ride like Froome to check its powermeter. I dont even think Froome looks at his powermeter everytime he looks down.

The question is why do they need to have power meters?

Postal was more stop nd go than constantly grinding the same pace because that's what Lance prefered.
No powermeters won't affect the main guys, but it could affect the mmbers of th tran who are told to ride a certain wattage until they are cooked, no pm would make that a bit more difficult.


Exactly.

Although, probably LS will soon come in and write 20,000 pages about why this isn't the case.
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,224
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

25 Oct 2018 19:34

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
kingjr wrote:
hrotha wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:btw I also have to laugh at Preudhomme and ASO for their call on banning power meters. I can say with 100% certainty this will have 0,0 effect whatsoever. These guys are so trained on what effort to ride and how they really dont need to stare at their meters to do so.

If they think this will have any effect they are really as stupid as I thought they were

You know what's less precise than a power meter? Going by feeling alone.
It's not exactly difficult, you know.

Indeed. Dumoulin for instance never has his power meter on in races. He rides by feeling (just under what he feels like is his limit). It's very easy for most TT specialists

I know this concept usually gives you trouble, but there are riders other than Dumoulin. :p

It won't be a revolutionary change, no. So what? It's a small step in the right direction.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,762
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

25 Oct 2018 20:17

The power-meters topic is pretty intriguing, I agree.
First, my impression is that Prudhomme wants to show the fans that they'll do everything in their power to make the race more exciting.
Second. there are numerous issues related to the usage of the device. Banning them now won't be the same as if it would've been the moment they were introduced to the sport. The power-metric training method shaped the performance of majority of current generation. It has learnt them, in a way, how to ride, thus many of them can race without relying on the data.
On the other hand, riding without digital assistance could make them more wary and insecure about their condition, pushing the racing towards even more conservative side.
Taking everything into account, I support Prudhomme's intention.
Let's see what happens... but it comes down to the UCI.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,048
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

25 Oct 2018 20:21

Power meters don't make measuring an effort for an individual rider that hard. It will make it harder for a domestique to ride the correct pace if he's better or worse than normal.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,858
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Re:

26 Oct 2018 00:29

hrotha wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
kingjr wrote:
hrotha wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:btw I also have to laugh at Preudhomme and ASO for their call on banning power meters. I can say with 100% certainty this will have 0,0 effect whatsoever. These guys are so trained on what effort to ride and how they really dont need to stare at their meters to do so.

If they think this will have any effect they are really as stupid as I thought they were

You know what's less precise than a power meter? Going by feeling alone.
It's not exactly difficult, you know.

Indeed. Dumoulin for instance never has his power meter on in races. He rides by feeling (just under what he feels like is his limit). It's very easy for most TT specialists

I know this concept usually gives you trouble, but there are riders other than Dumoulin. :p

It won't be a revolutionary change, no. So what? It's a small step in the right direction.



Yes there are. However, when someone is a fan of a specific rider it's easier to use that rider as an example for what you're talking about. Dumoulin isn't the only one that doesn't race with a power meter on, as Valverde also doesn't race with a power meter. He races by feel and yes that can get him in trouble at times. Personally, I'm glad to know Dumoulin doesn't race with a power meter.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,168
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

26 Oct 2018 07:11

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:btw I also have to laugh at Preudhomme and ASO for their call on banning power meters. I can say with 100% certainty this will have 0,0 effect whatsoever. These guys are so trained on what effort to ride and how they really dont need to stare at their meters to do so.

If they think this will have any effect they are really as stupid as I thought they were

at least one former winner of the Tour seems to disagree with you
banning power meters WILL change things
but what does Bradley know about cycling
Tim Booth
Member
 
Posts: 451
Joined: 18 Aug 2017 08:13

Re: Tour de France 2019

26 Oct 2018 08:18

Personally i think banning race radios would have a bigger impact on and add more excitement to the racing than banning power meters...
brownbobby
Member
 
Posts: 898
Joined: 27 Sep 2017 07:14

26 Oct 2018 09:23

Can we stop talking about banning technology? Sport is always evolving, it's up to the riders to adjust.
MatParker117
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,003
Joined: 28 Aug 2012 22:05

Re:

26 Oct 2018 09:39

MatParker117 wrote:Can we stop talking about banning technology? Sport is always evolving, it's up to the riders to adjust.


I'm not really campaigning for banning either, just making the point that of the 2 i think race radio makes the biggest difference.

I'm an occasional cyclist at best now, i sometimes ride a bike with a power meter, i sometimes ride a bike without a power meter. Even without the power meter, its pretty easy to judge what kind of watts you're producing and how close you are to your limit on any given day.

I would imagine for a pro cyclist, judging effort, with or without power meter, is not far off an exact science now.

But judging a gap, how quickly its increasing or decreasing, thus how hard you need to push in response, is always going to be open to errors in judgement if you don't have someone in your ear continually updating you.
brownbobby
Member
 
Posts: 898
Joined: 27 Sep 2017 07:14

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Back to top