Log in:  

Register

Tour de France 2019

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

26 Oct 2018 10:07

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-places-bonus-sprints-atop-mountain-passes-to-encourage-attacks/
"Last year, we had eight bonus points, but they were on flat stages. This time around, we'll put them on the top of the hills and cols, and on stages where there will be a fight for the general classification," said Tour de France technical director Thierry Gouvenou.


Will this really do anything? :confused:
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,781
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56

Re:

26 Oct 2018 10:11

Robert5091 wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-places-bonus-sprints-atop-mountain-passes-to-encourage-attacks/
"Last year, we had eight bonus points, but they were on flat stages. This time around, we'll put them on the top of the hills and cols, and on stages where there will be a fight for the general classification," said Tour de France technical director Thierry Gouvenou.


Will this really do anything? :confused:
Only if Prudhomme gets his wish and can allot more time than the 3, 2 and 1 seconds that the UCI currently allow.
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,624
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

Re:

26 Oct 2018 10:30

MatParker117 wrote:Can we stop talking about banning technology? Sport is always evolving, it's up to the riders to adjust.


Sport is always evolving, but why do we allow this technology in the first place? What is added value to the sport? I have a.hard time seeing it.so why allow it in the first place.

Race radioa imo should only be used for safety. 1 open channel.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,603
Joined: 25 May 2010 05:54
Location: the Netherlands

26 Oct 2018 16:11

Btw, this route really favors MAL. No Murito, no tricky final, no difficult descent finish. On the other hand the high altitude and tough MTF's. Of course he will lose time in the TTT and ITT, but nonetheless a good route for him.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,097
Joined: 06 Apr 2016 08:06

Re: Re:

26 Oct 2018 17:21

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-places-bonus-sprints-atop-mountain-passes-to-encourage-attacks/
"Last year, we had eight bonus points, but they were on flat stages. This time around, we'll put them on the top of the hills and cols, and on stages where there will be a fight for the general classification," said Tour de France technical director Thierry Gouvenou.


Will this really do anything? :confused:
Only if Prudhomme gets his wish and can allot more time than the 3, 2 and 1 seconds that the UCI currently allow.

What is this, the 1973 Vuelta? Are they really so devoid of ideas of how to make their races selective that they resort to total artificiality? Here's an idea, Christian: design better mountain stages and don't keep relying on the same crutches over and over because the more riders do the same old same old, the more they know every inch of it, where is best to attack, where is best to dose efforts, and everybody's thinking the same thing.
Last edited by Libertine Seguros on 26 Oct 2018 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,092
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

Re: Re:

26 Oct 2018 17:22

Libertine Seguros wrote:
18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-places-bonus-sprints-atop-mountain-passes-to-encourage-attacks/
"Last year, we had eight bonus points, but they were on flat stages. This time around, we'll put them on the top of the hills and cols, and on stages where there will be a fight for the general classification," said Tour de France technical director Thierry Gouvenou.


Will this really do anything? :confused:
Only if Prudhomme gets his wish and can allot more time than the 3, 2 and 1 seconds that the UCI currently allow.

What is this, the 1973 Vuelta? Are they really so devoid of ideas of how to make their races selective that they resort to total artificiality? Here's an idea, Christian: design better mountain stages.

Can I coin the idea of getting rid of Prudhomme?
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 17,552
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

26 Oct 2018 18:37

They'll promote Gouvenou and continue business as usual
ice&fire
Member
 
Posts: 1,531
Joined: 01 Jul 2015 19:30

Re:

26 Oct 2018 18:40

ice&fire wrote:They'll promote Gouvenou and continue business as usual

Can we just get Zomegnan.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 17,552
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Re:

26 Oct 2018 20:04

Red Rick wrote:
ice&fire wrote:They'll promote Gouvenou and continue business as usual

Can we just get Zomegnan.


Make mountain stages 200 kilometers long again.
Max Rockatansky
Member
 
Posts: 1,227
Joined: 16 Jun 2015 11:59

27 Oct 2018 19:03

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pinot-to-target-tour-de-france-in-2019-and-likes-the-route/
Pinot to target Tour de France in 2019 and likes the route


Tonton can look forward to July next year. :)
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,781
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56

Re: Re:

27 Oct 2018 19:19

Libertine Seguros wrote:
18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-places-bonus-sprints-atop-mountain-passes-to-encourage-attacks/
"Last year, we had eight bonus points, but they were on flat stages. This time around, we'll put them on the top of the hills and cols, and on stages where there will be a fight for the general classification," said Tour de France technical director Thierry Gouvenou.


Will this really do anything? :confused:
Only if Prudhomme gets his wish and can allot more time than the 3, 2 and 1 seconds that the UCI currently allow.

What is this, the 1973 Vuelta?


I forget which rider it was who joked there were bonus seconds "even in hotel doorways".

They made a Vuelta with a single mountain - and even that one was a long way from the finish - and bonus seconds everywhere, to guarantee a Merckx win, so that he would agree to ride.
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,352
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

28 Oct 2018 09:10

Endurance has left the sport.
An absolute joke of a course, utter crap, giving it a number would give it value that it doesn't deserve.
User avatar Climbing
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,187
Joined: 08 Jun 2010 08:18

Re:

28 Oct 2018 15:02

Robert5091 wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pinot-to-target-tour-de-france-in-2019-and-likes-the-route/
Pinot to target Tour de France in 2019 and likes the route


Tonton can look forward to July next year. :)

Indeed ;) . And it looks like Marc Madiot has a plan, considering the signing of Kung and Scotson. Add to that Preidler (who can climb some), Molard and Reichenbach, and all of the sudden, there's hope for a very strong TTT.

Now my birthday is on July 19, the day of stage 13 and the ITT: I know what kind of a present I want, but I don't know what I'll get. I hope I'll eat some cake in a good way :D .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,415
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: Re:

28 Oct 2018 15:15

GuyIncognito wrote:
Libertine Seguros wrote:
18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-places-bonus-sprints-atop-mountain-passes-to-encourage-attacks/
"Last year, we had eight bonus points, but they were on flat stages. This time around, we'll put them on the top of the hills and cols, and on stages where there will be a fight for the general classification," said Tour de France technical director Thierry Gouvenou.


Will this really do anything? :confused:
Only if Prudhomme gets his wish and can allot more time than the 3, 2 and 1 seconds that the UCI currently allow.

What is this, the 1973 Vuelta?


I forget which rider it was who joked there were bonus seconds "even in hotel doorways".

Ocaña iirc. Remember that El Español de Mont-de-Marsan never won his home race, too, he had another chance a year later but there was a very public spat after he gained time on a fallen Fuente on Monte Naranco and was treated very badly by the Asturian tifosi as a result, to the point where Fuente publicly told them to calm down and be respectful, but Ocaña fell apart on the Mirador del Fito stage when his teammate Joaquim Agostinho became Fuente's main rival for the win.

In fairness in that Vuelta, one of the Spanish newspapers kept tabs on the classification if there had been no bonuses, so on pure on-the-road time, and Merckx still won, but he probably wouldn't have been there if they hadn't set the race up for him to come and win, and certainly it was a kick in the teeth to most Spanish fans who had grown fed up of the race pandering to foreign stars who would often abuse their position as the star attractions in the race by bullying race directors (even to the point in 1971 of race staff pretending to have written down the wrong dossard number to absolve Ferdinand Bracke of a time penalty for an illegal feed after his team director threatened to withdraw the whole team, even though he was pretty damned obvious wearing the race leader's jersey) and were especially enthused by Ocaña and Fuente's achievements in the mountains overseas and the successful introduction of real mountaintop finishes in the 1972 race, so really were not impressed by the race, which had been growing and becoming less provincial, unleashing perhaps its most tailor-made-for-foreign-big-names route yet.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,092
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

Re: Re:

28 Oct 2018 17:17

Libertine Seguros wrote:Ocaña iirc. Remember that El Español de Mont-de-Marsan never won his home race, too, he had another chance a year later but there was a very public spat after he gained time on a fallen Fuente on Monte Naranco and was treated very badly by the Asturian tifosi as a result, to the point where Fuente publicly told them to calm down and be respectful, but Ocaña fell apart on the Mirador del Fito stage when his teammate Joaquim Agostinho became Fuente's main rival for the win.


:confused: Are you taking about Luis Ocaña? He won the 1970 Vuelta :confused:
ice&fire
Member
 
Posts: 1,531
Joined: 01 Jul 2015 19:30

Re: Re:

28 Oct 2018 18:31

ice&fire wrote:
Libertine Seguros wrote:Ocaña iirc. Remember that El Español de Mont-de-Marsan never won his home race, too, he had another chance a year later but there was a very public spat after he gained time on a fallen Fuente on Monte Naranco and was treated very badly by the Asturian tifosi as a result, to the point where Fuente publicly told them to calm down and be respectful, but Ocaña fell apart on the Mirador del Fito stage when his teammate Joaquim Agostinho became Fuente's main rival for the win.


:confused: Are you taking about Luis Ocaña? He won the 1970 Vuelta :confused:

Doh! Right you are... for some reason I was remembering his desperation rides in 1974 and 1976 to be fuelled by the need to win his home race. Might be confusing some of the details of his and Fuente's rivalry with that between Loroño and Bahamontes, since the latter genuinely never won the Vuelta.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,092
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

Re: Tour de France 2019

29 Oct 2018 01:04

???
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,415
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: Re:

30 Oct 2018 08:15

Libertine Seguros wrote:
ice&fire wrote:
Libertine Seguros wrote:Ocaña iirc. Remember that El Español de Mont-de-Marsan never won his home race, too, he had another chance a year later but there was a very public spat after he gained time on a fallen Fuente on Monte Naranco and was treated very badly by the Asturian tifosi as a result, to the point where Fuente publicly told them to calm down and be respectful, but Ocaña fell apart on the Mirador del Fito stage when his teammate Joaquim Agostinho became Fuente's main rival for the win.


:confused: Are you taking about Luis Ocaña? He won the 1970 Vuelta :confused:

Doh! Right you are... for some reason I was remembering his desperation rides in 1974 and 1976 to be fuelled by the need to win his home race. Might be confusing some of the details of his and Fuente's rivalry with that between Loroño and Bahamontes, since the latter genuinely never won the Vuelta.


Did LS just get something wrong? Its like being told Santa doesn't exist.
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 1,336
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

19 Nov 2018 14:14

Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,781
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56

01 Jan 2019 21:57

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint-thomas-and-chris-froome-to-target-tour-de-france/
Team Sky have confirmed the major targets of their three key Grand Tour riders with Chris Froome and Geraint Thomas set to focus on the Tour de France in 2019, while Egan Bernal will lead his first Grand Tour at the Giro d’Italia.
...
"The main goal for me will be to go back to the Tour de France for the best result I can,” explained Thomas. “Maybe if I hadn’t won the Tour in 2018 I might have looked at a Giro/Vuelta programme but, having won the Tour, I’ll have the number one on my back and it would be sad not to go back and not to go back at 100 per cent as well.

"The year will be geared around that, but I’m also looking forward to a slightly different programme as well, and obviously after the Tour, the Worlds in Yorkshire will be massive.”


The Sky A-team for last Sky TdF - not surprising. If Sky have not found a new sponsor by July, it could be interesting.
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,781
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: claude cat, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], JosephK, Koronin and 34 guests

Back to top