Register

Rate the Vuelta 2018 route

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

How do you rate the route of the 2018 Vuelta?

No votes
6%
9%
24%
17%
14%
9%
11%
3%
8%

Total votes : 66

Re: Rate the Vuelta 2018 route

13 Jan 2018 14:09

I can't give an 8 to this design. I don't mind back-loading, as long as the first two weeks set the stage, and I don't see it here. The lack of ITT in GTs is starting to bother me: it should be the exception, but it's becoming the rule. Stage 20 looks great though. Good for Dumoulin? Yep.

I give it a 6.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re:

13 Jan 2018 14:10

HelloDolly wrote:Same thing every year
Route (of any GT) comes out ...same old moaners on here go on and on about how its dreadful, etc

Perhaps because the routes are roughly the same year after year, so naturally they're roughly equally dreadful?

Many Giro routes of this decade have been praised by those "old moaners". Maybe you simply have no standards?
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

Re:

13 Jan 2018 14:11

Route (of any GT) comes out ...same old moaners on here go on and on about how its dreadful, etc

I like it...Its different from Tour and Giro- whic i wnat and it can provide some great racing and not be stifled by SKY
This is a Valverde, Dumoulin , Chaves route ... I think it could be a great showdown

So stop the pathetic and pointless moaning

I for one dont want several MTN stages with a SKY train dominating it
We usually have that at the Tour

Quit your pathetic moaning, unless you can quote the same people moaning over last year's route.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 14:23

The dawg will be licking his lips :twisted:
rick james

13 Jan 2018 14:26

It's a standard Vuelta course - They've found their niche and have no reason to change.
yaco

Re: Re:

13 Jan 2018 14:27

hrotha wrote:

Perhaps because the routes are roughly the same year after year, so naturally they're roughly equally dreadful?

Many Giro routes of this decade have been praised by those "old moaners". Maybe you simply have no standards?

100% right. vuelta can produce climbs in all his terrain, so why not something like 2015 giro? it is so difficult to make a route with 6 sprint stages, 2 TT, 6 high mountains stages and 7 hilly stages?
portugal11

Re:

13 Jan 2018 14:39

I like it...Its different from Tour and Giro- whic i wnat and it can provide some great racing and not be stifled by SKY
This is a Valverde, Dumoulin , Chaves route ... I think it could be a great showdown

I'm usually willing to give high marks (8 :p ) and I believe that most here share that attitude. I agree with the other comment: put at least 70km of ITT, avoid the borefest stretches (week 2 here, most TdF week 1), mix muritos, MTF, flat after climb, downhill finishes to offer variety, and you get praise...agree that we see the same blueprint over and over. If you don't like one, you won't like the others, or in my case, you get tired of it.

Not many like the Sky train domination, and this design is tailor made for it with _____/ stages instead of what I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

IIRC, Netserk gave my last TdF design an 8. He can be reasonable :) .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re: Re:

13 Jan 2018 14:41

portugal11 wrote:[100% right. vuelta can produce climbs in all his terrain, so why not something like 2015 giro? it is so difficult to make a route with 6 sprint stages, 2 TT, 6 high mountains stages and 7 hilly stages?

We agree ;) . Happy New Year portugal11! :)
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

13 Jan 2018 14:49

I swear I have seen this route before. Or at least a near identical variation of every single stage in the past, what, three years?

Painfully uninspired.
Brullnux
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 15:26

I think what we're seeing here is a bit of overcompensation of all GTs being mainly decided in ITTs last year.

I really disagree with the notion that every GT should have something like 70km of ITTs minimum. I think it's more important that the race is competitive. If a GT is likely decided between riders who differ little in climbing and much in TT'ing, I'd rather not see too much ITT mileage. Especially in a route like this, where there are no huge mountains, and only one stage to really try something, you can ruin the race beforehand by putting in too much ITTs.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

13 Jan 2018 15:41

Red Rick wrote:I think what we're seeing here is a bit of overcompensation of all GTs being mainly decided in ITTs last year.

I really disagree with the notion that every GT should have something like 70km of ITTs minimum. I think it's more important that the race is competitive. If a GT is likely decided between riders who differ little in climbing and much in TT'ing, I'd rather not see too much ITT mileage. Especially in a route like this, where there are no huge mountains, and only one stage to really try something, you can ruin the race beforehand by putting in too much ITTs.

If you're as good a climber and better in ITT, you should win. Designing races so people who don't belong stay in the mix is a mistake IMO. Compensating has always been done, i.e. the anti-Merckx designs then, anti-Froome now, but it's going too far.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

13 Jan 2018 17:16

Meh
I don't agree that it's one of the worst gt routes I've ever seen but it's still anything but good.
The biggest problem I have is the return of boring flat stages. I have never been a fan of how the vuelta designs its gc relevant stages but at least they always had a lot of stages finishing with muritos or hills close to the finish which made the stage watchable. This year they backpedal and return to a normal number of chances for sprinters, probably to make this the last season goal for top sprinters since the 2018 WC RR suits climbers. Therefore I kinda understand the decision but now there is nothing which distracts from the problem that the vuelta mountain stages are abysmal. There are no mountain stages with downhill finishes, but 8 relatively hard mtf's (plus the 3rd category uphill finish on stage 2). Of those 8 stages there is imo only one stage where you can really try something from a long way out, plus maybe stage 14 which looks interesting but the flat parts between the climbs are probably too long. At least the only really good mountain stage is stage 20 which means the race might be open relatively long.

About the little TT kilometers, I am actually not sure if that's even a bad thing. I like a lot of TT'ing but only in combination with super hard mountain stages where you can gain minutes. Looking at the route I expect that there will be no stage except the 2nd ITT and maybe stage 20 where the eventual podium riders will be separated by more than a minute.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 17:23

I do think the route is perfect for Dumoulin/Froome - gain time on TT and wheel suck to Madrid.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

13 Jan 2018 17:27

After a quick look, this parcours seems like a 2.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 18:01

It's a good route for Kelderman.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

13 Jan 2018 18:40

This, those guys and maybe an in form Aru should be the big favourites.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 20:12

This route is "Valverdered". Put 6 on this
repre

13 Jan 2018 20:58

Time to finally cut this race down to 2 weeks. Horrible course.
Max Rockatansky

13 Jan 2018 22:54

Max Rockatansky wrote:Time to finally cut this race down to 2 weeks. Horrible course.

Yet Vuelta regularly produces best GT racing of the year...
User avatar Blanco

13 Jan 2018 22:54

Looks like a typical Vuelta route to me although a few too many possible sprint stages for a typical Vuelta. I also agree with repre that it does appear the Vuelta did do a very "Valverde" friendly route. However, that is also typical of the Vuelta. in 2016 Contador made a comment that he's never seen a race and rider so perfectly suited to each other as la Vuelta and Valverde are (although Fleche Wallone and Andalucia might argue about that). I'm sure la Vuelta would love to have Valverde make history by tying the most podiums ever in la Vuelta with 7 come this addition.
User avatar Koronin

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing