Register

Lesser Known Race Results 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 Oct 2018 15:33

According to the QS race report, they knew in advance that Hodeg would probably get dropped on the hill in Turkey, so they already planned to ride for Richeze. That sounds a bit concerning when it comes to Hodeg’s durability. Getting dropped is one thing, the team knowing you couldn’t hold on in advance is another. Hopefully this is something he can improve and not a case of Guardini syndrome.

Is he the first Colombian to make the pro ranks who can’t climb at all?
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re:

11 Oct 2018 15:59

Zinoviev Letter wrote:According to the QS race report, they knew in advance that Hodeg would probably get dropped on the hill in Turkey, so they already planned to ride for Richeze. That sounds a bit concerning when it comes to Hodeg’s durability. Getting dropped is one thing, the team knowing you couldn’t hold on in advance is another. Hopefully this is something he can improve and not a case of Guardini syndrome.

Based on 2nd half of this season. Gaviria :D
MuskyOurSaviour

Re:

11 Oct 2018 16:04

Zinoviev Letter wrote:According to the QS race report, they knew in advance that Hodeg would probably get dropped on the hill in Turkey, so they already planned to ride for Richeze. That sounds a bit concerning when it comes to Hodeg’s durability. Getting dropped is one thing, the team knowing you couldn’t hold on in advance is another. Hopefully this is something he can improve and not a case of Guardini syndrome.

Hodeg is Kittelesque. This should surprise absolutely no one.
User avatar DNP-Old

11 Oct 2018 16:36

And since we're talking about him, I want to point out it's pronounced "Hodge". It's an english name, just spelled a little differently but the pronounciation is the same.

Now somebody please inform commentators of that...
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

11 Oct 2018 17:14

GuyIncognito wrote:And since we're talking about him, I want to point out it's pronounced "Hodge". It's an english name, just spelled a little differently but the pronounciation is the same.

"I promised to tell you a small secret. The secret is related to my name: H-O-D-G-E. Yes, you read it correct. About four years ago, I realized my name had been changed. Not my first name, Álvaro, but my surname, Hodge. Somehow and suddenly my identity papers said Hodeg and not Hodge, like it used to and like my family name is spelled.
I never got to do anything about it, so now everybody knows me as Hodeg, even my website is called Alvarohodeg.com, but the correct spelling and pronunciation is actually Hodge – which to be fair, nobody in Colombia really understood how to pronounce. I inherited it from my great-grandfather, who was Scottish but left his country during the war with the hope of finding a place to settle down with better life opportunities. He came by boat, believing he was in the United States, but in fact he had arrived in Cartagena, Colombia. I am glad he did!"

Read more at http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/alvaro-hodeg-from-monteria-to-europe-via-medellin/3554#8iqLGdOZZudLV1hS.99
Tim Booth

Re: Re:

11 Oct 2018 17:38

DNP-Old wrote:

I had never realized how big he is. 76 kg is the weight listed on his team profile.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

11 Oct 2018 17:49

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:

I had never realized how big he is. 76 kg is the weight listed on his team profile.

For 1,76kg. For reference Viviani is 8kg lighter, Gaviria 5kg, Bennett 7kg, and they're all taller than him. So he really is all muscle even for a sprinter

Tim Booth wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:And since we're talking about him, I want to point out it's pronounced "Hodge". It's an english name, just spelled a little differently but the pronounciation is the same.

"I promised to tell you a small secret. The secret is related to my name: H-O-D-G-E. Yes, you read it correct. About four years ago, I realized my name had been changed. Not my first name, Álvaro, but my surname, Hodge. Somehow and suddenly my identity papers said Hodeg and not Hodge, like it used to and like my family name is spelled.
I never got to do anything about it, so now everybody knows me as Hodeg, even my website is called Alvarohodeg.com, but the correct spelling and pronunciation is actually Hodge – which to be fair, nobody in Colombia really understood how to pronounce. I inherited it from my great-grandfather, who was Scottish but left his country during the war with the hope of finding a place to settle down with better life opportunities. He came by boat, believing he was in the United States, but in fact he had arrived in Cartagena, Colombia. I am glad he did!"

Read more at http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/alvaro-hodeg-from-monteria-to-europe-via-medellin/3554#8iqLGdOZZudLV1hS.99

The Colombian Sergei Gonchar
Gonchar eventually managed to get it corrected in his mid 30s.
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

11 Oct 2018 17:54

The strange thing was that the Danish commentators yesterday talked about exactly that and agreed to alternate the pronunciations to keep listeners at their toes :D

I guess because they had only heard English-speaking people call him Hodge and didn't know that he calls himself that. But they did know that it was of Scottish origin.

Brian Holm (his own director) calls him Hodge though. But when he started commentating he kept calling Edvald Boasson Hagen Edvald Hagen Boasson even though he had been directing him :rolleyes:
User avatar tobydawq

11 Oct 2018 18:33

Tim Booth wrote:

I might have mentioned this before, but the first time I read that story I seriously imagined his great-grandfather in a row-boat!

And, talking about weird pronunciations; what the hell was Lander calling Colbrelli during Piemonte?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

11 Oct 2018 21:36

Chapeau Colbrelli - a lonnnnng sprint! :) Hope the moto guys and all invovled in crashes are ok.

Tour of Turkey stage 4 could be fun on Friday - http://www.tourofturkey.org.tr/en/stages - 9% for the last 3 kms should be fun.

"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

12 Oct 2018 12:54

Anyone have a link for the tour of turkey?
grizzlee

Re:

12 Oct 2018 12:57

grizzlee wrote:Anyone have a link for the tour of turkey?

It's on eurosport. Here is a link http://tiz-cycling.live/
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

12 Oct 2018 13:18

Go Hernan.
User avatar DNP-Old

12 Oct 2018 13:28

Lutsenko wins, Ulissi 2nd.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

12 Oct 2018 13:29

Luts!!!!!!
User avatar markene2

12 Oct 2018 13:29

Big group at finish
del1962
Veteran

12 Oct 2018 13:31

Big headwind the entire climb
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Lesser Known Race Results 2018

12 Oct 2018 13:33

Chapeau Lutsenko! :) Left it late.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re: Lesser Known Race Results 2018

12 Oct 2018 13:40

Robert5091 wrote:Chapeau Lutsenko! :) Left it late.

GC
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

12 Oct 2018 13:54

Nice little win by Lutsenko.
Hopefully he can play a big role in GdL.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing