Log in:  

Register

Lesser Known Race Results 2019

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

19 Oct 2018 15:45

I struggle to understand the point of paying to run a WT race and then not filming it. Sounds like it was all too easy again for Moscon and the support team of Football Manager style wonderkids Sky have surrounded him with in the late season. This time it was Sivakov and Dunbar with him till he rode away solo. Good ride from Grosschartner, adding yet another to the Bora climbing squad’s absolutely insane number of top 10s without a win.

There’s a bit of climbing tomorrow but I would guess nothing that will enable anyone to put the Sky doms in trouble and certainly nothing that will bother Moscon. Then it’s a final sprint of the season, which like most sprints all year is very unpredictable. I dont think there’s ever been so many very fast guys or so unclear a pecking order.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,755
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re:

19 Oct 2018 17:35

Zinoviev Letter wrote:I struggle to understand the point of paying to run a WT race and then not filming it. Sounds like it was all too easy again for Moscon and the support team of Football Manager style wonderkids Sky have surrounded him with in the late season. This time it was Sivakov and Dunbar with him till he rode away solo. Good ride from Grosschartner, adding yet another to the Bora climbing squad’s absolutely insane number of top 10s without a win.

There’s a bit of climbing tomorrow but I would guess nothing that will enable anyone to put the Sky doms in trouble and certainly nothing that will bother Moscon. Then it’s a final sprint of the season, which like most sprints all year is very unpredictable. I dont think there’s ever been so many very fast guys or so unclear a pecking order.


Mühlberger actually won a race this year, otherwise you are correct of course. Maybe they can start winning next season finally?
Tomorrow morning there actually is a decent length stage with some hills near the end. I presume this is gonna favour Jacobsen and Ackermann over Groenewegen and Walscheid..
Sestriere
Member
 
Posts: 677
Joined: 24 Jun 2017 11:59

20 Oct 2018 15:26

Fair point about Mühlberger winning. He’s such a good all rounder that I sometimes forget that he’s mainly a climber.

Anyway, today went much as you predicted, with most of the sprinters getting killed on the climbs. The surprising part being that it was Trentin rather than Ackermann who benefited. Four sprints, four winners. Who would bet against a fifth winner tomorrow?
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,755
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re:

20 Oct 2018 20:24

Zinoviev Letter wrote:The surprising part being that it was Trentin rather than Ackermann who benefited. Four sprints, four winners. Who would bet against a fifth winner tomorrow?


Ackermann clashed with Mezgec, which caused a crash. Ackermann's sprint was very much disrupted.

Good to see Trentin win though.
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,352
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

20 Oct 2018 20:32

last sprint tomorrow could be anyone of Ackermann / Jakobsen / Groenewegen in my opinion. If it rains count out Groene
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,449
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Oct 2018 05:09

Rob Power wins the Japan Cup in his last race in Mitchelton Scott colors - Has shown progress in one-day races this year but it's a matter of being able to back up day after day - Will be interesting to see how he goes at Sunweb.
yaco
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,024
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

21 Oct 2018 09:34

And Jakobsen wins again in China, beating Ackermann with a bike length. Groenewegen again dropped in the hills
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,449
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Oct 2018 09:40

Groenewegen is the new Kittel?
User avatar Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,936
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

21 Oct 2018 10:26

My bad. He wasn't dropped. Just boxed in (13th). He doesn't seem to fare well in the rain

yaco wrote:Rob Power wins the Japan Cup in his last race in Mitchelton Scott colors - Has shown progress in one-day races this year but it's a matter of being able to back up day after day - Will be interesting to see how he goes at Sunweb.

Tolhoek 2nd (in the sprint against Power). Also a guy who made a lot of progress this year
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,449
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Oct 2018 11:43

Surprised to see Matti Breschel on the podium in Japan. He seems like such an anachronism in the peloton.
Baldinger
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 09 Jul 2014 14:06

Re:

21 Oct 2018 11:47

Baldinger wrote:Surprised to see Matti Breschel on the podium in Japan. He seems like such an anachronism in the peloton.


I was also very surprised about that. Good for him.
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,807
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re:

21 Oct 2018 14:14

Baldinger wrote:Surprised to see Matti Breschel on the podium in Japan. He seems like such an anachronism in the peloton.


Younger than a lot of guys who are still relevant. Monfort, Roche, Morabito, Pozzovivo, Greipel...
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,352
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

21 Oct 2018 14:25

Tied for third among active riders with most medals in the WCRR.
Last edited by tobydawq on 21 Oct 2018 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,807
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re:

21 Oct 2018 14:55

tobydawq wrote:Tied for second among active riders with most medals in the WCRR.

Third, you mean? Sagan has three medals.
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 1,498
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

Re: Re:

21 Oct 2018 15:10

Squire wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Tied for second among active riders with most medals in the WCRR.

Third, you mean? Sagan has three medals.


Haha, impressive memory I displayed there...
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,807
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

21 Oct 2018 17:03

tobydawq wrote:
Squire wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Tied for second among active riders with most medals in the WCRR.

Third, you mean? Sagan has three medals.


Haha, impressive memory I displayed there...

But his WC results are truly impressive. In addition to the two medals he also has a 4th from Ponferrada and a very strong 7th from Mendrisio.
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 1,498
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

Re: Re:

22 Oct 2018 06:17

Yeah. In Ponferrada he went away with the strongest guys on the final hill, but then launched his sprint too early trying to catch Kwiatkowski.

GuyIncognito wrote:
Baldinger wrote:Surprised to see Matti Breschel on the podium in Japan. He seems like such an anachronism in the peloton.


Younger than a lot of guys who are still relevant. Monfort, Roche, Morabito, Pozzovivo, Greipel...

Sure, he's a younger. It's just that he's been away from the spotlight a few years. But he still got the legs from time to time obviously. He was 11th i San Remo this year.

To call Monfort relevant is a bit of a stretch.
Baldinger
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 09 Jul 2014 14:06

23 Oct 2018 07:16

Errrr… What?

Why is the 2018 Tour of Hainan the first race of the 2019 season, rather than being… the last race of the 2018 season?
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,983
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re:

23 Oct 2018 07:41

RedheadDane wrote:Errrr… What?

Why is the 2018 Tour of Hainan the first race of the 2019 season, rather than being… the last race of the 2018 season?

UCI changed to starting season in Oct in 2017
http://www.uci.org/road/calendar
Tim Booth
Member
 
Posts: 582
Joined: 18 Aug 2017 08:13

23 Oct 2018 07:47

Yes, but... why? It doesn't make sense.
Especially considering that riders are still riding for their 2018 teams, and it's the 2018 edition of the race, because it's 2018.

Despite officially kicking off the 2019 season, this is still the 2018 edition of the Tour of Hainan, and riders will remain with their 2018 teams until the end of the calendar year.
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,983
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: archa55, Ciddaman, davebqvst, F_Cance, Flamin, Google Adsense [Bot], Kazistuta, lemon cheese cake, movingtarget, MrTea1976, Ricco', Singer01, topcat and 100 guests

Back to top