Register

Lesser Known Race Results 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

06 May 2018 19:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd8XGWwS1Hk

Panamericano 2018, 4 laps left.
User avatar DNP-Old

06 May 2018 20:12

Lol, completely flat course for the Richezes. Needed the Alto Colorado :p
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Re: Lesser Known Race Results 2018

06 May 2018 20:16

GuyIncognito wrote:
Max Rockatansky wrote:Image

The legend has done it again. Victory in Algeria at the Tour d'Oran. His team mate looks like a hipster version of Laurent Fignon. :D

Discount Daniel Oss

Visconti on the left?
EroicaStradeBianche

06 May 2018 21:09

Molano. :cool:
User avatar DNP-Old

11 May 2018 14:02

Stage 3 of the 4 Jours de Dunkerque. About 1 km from the finish. Who did the spectacular flying crash into the ditch? Hope he was unhurt.
User avatar wirral

11 May 2018 14:45

That awkward moment when you think Lotto Soudal is riding for Greipel, until you realise he's pulling with less than a kilometer to go.

Stage was won by Coquard.

---

Stage 1 of Aragon won by Aberasturi.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

11 May 2018 20:00

RedheadDane wrote:Stage 1 of Aragon won by Aberasturi.

It's wonderful to see the return of an old race that I was sure would forever stay dead, after over a decade :)

Not to mention how desperate the spanish calendar is for more races and teams
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re: Re:

11 May 2018 20:15

GuyIncognito wrote:

It's wonderful to see the return of an old race that I was sure would forever stay dead, after over a decade :)

Honestly, I didn't even know about the race until I saw it in the "currently on" list on Eurosport Player.
I got a bit bored during the Giro stage today...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

11 May 2018 21:05

GuyIncognito wrote:

Things are improving again though. Asturias seems to be re-integrating itself, Aragón and Valencia are both back, Madrid has grown back up from a one-day race to a stage race too, a shame they're all 3 day races and that Castilla y León is so bad compared to its heyday now, but with two more ProConti teams and a couple more decent level guest teams, it's slow progress but it's progress nonetheless in the Spanish national calendar.

Also about Aragón returning, it's nice to see Cerler for the first time in over a decade; suspect the anticipated rise of some young Aragonese climbing talents (Castrillo, Samitier, Barceló) might be a factor in increased interest in the region lately.
Veteran

12 May 2018 09:27

Mont Cassel today in Dunkerque. It always delivers.
Veteran

Re:

12 May 2018 12:12

Libertine Seguros wrote:Mont Cassel today in Dunkerque. It always delivers.

I'm having a Kwak on the summit, it's a beautiful day for it :cool:
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

12 May 2018 14:58

What a boss Greipel is.

Horrible TV work not showing the sprint for second and more importantly, Greipel's gap.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

12 May 2018 15:02

tobydawq wrote:What a boss Greipel is.

Horrible TV work not showing the sprint for second and more importantly, Greipel's gap.

Greipel is 4" behind in GC now. So he needs a 2nd place tomorrow to be sure. I don't know who would win if he's 3rd tomorrow.
User avatar Samamba

13 May 2018 09:11

Samamba wrote:
tobydawq wrote:What a boss Greipel is.

Greipel is 4" behind in GC now. So he needs a 2nd place tomorrow to be sure. I don't know who would win if he's 3rd tomorrow.

I'm guessing it would go down to countback on placings. Claeys is currently on 182 total, Riesebeek 185 and Greipel is on 230. So unless Claeys and Riesebeek both finish outside top-50 today (would be silly), Greipel would have to finish 2nd.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

13 May 2018 09:15

Today's finish in Aragon looks brutal - hoping my Polartec boys can survive this stage

User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

13 May 2018 09:48

Aramón-Cerler is a Vuelta classic.

It was first introduced in the 1987 Vuelta, when Laudelino Cubino, a great underrated escalador in the classic Spanish tradition, was the first to win at the summit. It became an almost annual staple through the late 80s and early 90s as the Pyrenean counterpart to the more legendary Lagos de Covadonga, and also as a common transition from stages to Rassos de Peguera or the Andorran climbs (Andorra was really getting into hosting MTFs at its ski stations in the early 90s). Other winners there in this era included fellow traditional Spanish inconsistent climber José María Jiménez and Roberto Laiseka, GT winners like Delgado and Rominger (twice), Colombian escaladores like Fábio Parra, Oliverio Rincón and Martin Farfán, and the underrated Soviet climber Ivan Ivanov. It fell out of favour in the 2000s, especially once the owners of the resort, the Aramón Aragonese resort group (a joint venture of Ibercaja and the Aragonese regional government), started to funnel interest towards their southern resort, Valdelinares, in order to promote the Sistema Central as a holidaying and skiing area, where they held a much stronger base than in the Pyrenees where they had to compete with the French, Andorran, Catalan and Navarrese resorts. After one final ascent in 2007, won by Leonardo Piepoli after doing a deal (as ever) with eventual Vuelta winner Denis Menchov, the climb disappeared off the map; when the Aramón group got interested in hosting again a few years later, as well as Valdelinares, it was the Formigal resort they were keen to promote, so that got the Vuelta.

Similarly, the Aramón resorts used to rotate the important mountain stages of the Vuelta a Aragón, with Cerler hosting most recently in 2000, 2002 and 2003, all of which were also won by Leonardo Piepoli, so he can be considered the king of Cerler. Mikel Zarrabeitia, Lucho Herrera and Fernando Escartín have also been winners there.

Essentially this year it's the base of the whole race as obviously the first two stages are about jockeying for position but the mountaintop finish will settle everything. I'd expect Castrillo, Samitier and Barceló are the younger names targeting this, but the likes of Soler, Rosón, Javi Moreno, Duarte, Pardilla and Joaquim Silva may be among the main names to watch, while there's always the Spaniards jetting in from the overseas tours like Prades, Pujol and Mancebo to consider (and also Dan Whitehouse) because they always wreck the field in those Asia Tour mountain stages, but what that really means as against a European péloton is never truly clear. Alex Cano and 38-year-old Luis Felipe Laverde being in town is also interesting, but like the Portuguese péloton (which contributes a few decent names like Ezquerra and Nocentini) we're a way away from their season's peak so goodness only knows what their form will be like.
Veteran

13 May 2018 10:41

I need Kevin Rivera to do well today.
User avatar DNP-Old

13 May 2018 14:10

User avatar DNP-Old

Re: Lesser Known Race Results 2018

13 May 2018 14:23

First sign of live from Taaramäe this year.
User avatar fauniera

13 May 2018 14:24

Dimitri Claeys (Cofidis) wins Les Quatre Jours de Dunkerque.

Le Gac (Groupama-FDJ) wins solo from the breakaway, Lotto-Soudal being unable to reel it in for Greipel.
User avatar Alexandre B.

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing