Log in:  

Register

Lesser Known Race Results 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

24 May 2018 16:55

Samamba wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Samamba wrote:First pro win for Bjorg Lambrecht in the Tour des Fjords.
Albasini wins the GC.

Just seen that result. Looks like from the result that Lambrecht beat Albasini and Boassen-Hagen in a gentle uphill sprint? :surprised:


Yeah, last km had a 5% gradient, with the last 300m at 8%. A finish that suits Lambrecht (pretty comparable to the Plumelec finish where he was 2nd at the EC in 2016).

That's really impressive. Is the feeling in Belgium that he'll develop into more of an Ardennes specialist than a stage racer at the moment?
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,363
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

24 May 2018 17:00

W/e floats his boat I imagine but I would love to see a Belgian GC contendor. We have been all but spoiled these last few decennia.
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan
Member
 
Posts: 1,714
Joined: 27 Dec 2015 16:46
Location: in Flanders fields where poppies blow

24 May 2018 18:21

Okay, just went to check the result of the stage of the Tour of Belgium.
At first I was pretty impressed that Norman had managed to jump 45 places in the GC thanks to the Golden Kilometer.
Then I saw that Warnier had managed to jump 66 places.
Then I saw that Keukeleire had managed to jump 99 places!

Did those three just own the Golden Kilemeter, or what? :surprised:
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,820
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

24 May 2018 18:35

Wow Lambrecht, didn't see that coming this early.

Not sure what he'll become, a punchy climber or rather a well-climbing puncheur, but this is really impressive. Seems like we're about to witness a Belgian bowl of climbing talents finally opening up.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,707
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

24 May 2018 19:08

So, what you're saying is that he - probably - will be either a punchy climber, or a climby puncheur?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,820
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re: Re:

24 May 2018 19:14

DFA123 wrote:
Samamba wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Samamba wrote:First pro win for Bjorg Lambrecht in the Tour des Fjords.
Albasini wins the GC.

Just seen that result. Looks like from the result that Lambrecht beat Albasini and Boassen-Hagen in a gentle uphill sprint? :surprised:


Yeah, last km had a 5% gradient, with the last 300m at 8%. A finish that suits Lambrecht (pretty comparable to the Plumelec finish where he was 2nd at the EC in 2016).

That's really impressive. Is the feeling in Belgium that he'll develop into more of an Ardennes specialist than a stage racer at the moment?


Not sure tbh. I think he can develop into a Purito type of rider, so both (I'm not saying he will reach Purito's level obv). He has that punch at the end of a hill or mountain that can make him a real winner. He's a real lightweight though. His TT is absolute **** and he has troubles placing himself just before sprints or climbs. One small push from another rider and he immediately drops 20 places. Obviously that will get better with experience, but I fear that he will never be a decent TTer. It's also possible that he turns out to be more of an Alaphilippe type of rider, but in the u23 ranks he was definitely a better climber than Alaphilippe was back when he was in that category. Bernal was the only one who climbed consistently better than him, and we all know that that dude is from another planet.

His "partner in crime" Harm Vanhoucke will be a pure climber though. He will go pro after riding the Baby Giro (although he's having some fatigue problem right now) and the Tour de Savoie. I think he was the only u23 guy who was able to beat Bernal on a climb last year (first stage Savoie if I remember correctly). He's not the most consistent rider though, Lambrecht is.
Last edited by Samamba on 24 May 2018 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Samamba
Member
 
Posts: 1,609
Joined: 10 May 2015 11:45

Re:

24 May 2018 19:29

RedheadDane wrote:So, what you're saying is that he - probably - will be either a punchy climber, or a climby puncheur?


Yes. As far as I know he was a really good climber in the u23 but he'd regularly got good results/wins because of his explosive kick at the end. So it could go both ways.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,707
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

Re: Re:

24 May 2018 19:54

Flamin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:So, what you're saying is that he - probably - will be either a punchy climber, or a climby puncheur?


Yes. As far as I know he was a really good climber in the u23 but he'd regularly got good results/wins because of his explosive kick at the end. So it could go both ways.


At which point do you go from one to the other?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,820
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re: Re:

24 May 2018 20:02

RedheadDane wrote:
Flamin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:So, what you're saying is that he - probably - will be either a punchy climber, or a climby puncheur?


Yes. As far as I know he was a really good climber in the u23 but he'd regularly got good results/wins because of his explosive kick at the end. So it could go both ways.


At which point do you go from one to the other?


What do you mean? I don't think you can already say he's either of one them.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,707
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

Re: Re:

24 May 2018 20:10

Flamin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
Flamin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:So, what you're saying is that he - probably - will be either a punchy climber, or a climby puncheur?


Yes. As far as I know he was a really good climber in the u23 but he'd regularly got good results/wins because of his explosive kick at the end. So it could go both ways.


At which point do you go from one to the other?


What do you mean? I don't think you can already say he's either of one them.


Of course not. But those two seem like a mirror of each other, so... where's the difference?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,820
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re: Re:

24 May 2018 20:32

RedheadDane wrote:
Flamin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
Flamin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:So, what you're saying is that he - probably - will be either a punchy climber, or a climby puncheur?


Yes. As far as I know he was a really good climber in the u23 but he'd regularly got good results/wins because of his explosive kick at the end. So it could go both ways.


At which point do you go from one to the other?


What do you mean? I don't think you can already say he's either of one them.


Of course not. But those two seem like a mirror of each other, so... where's the difference?


With a punchy climber I mean someone like Purito or Dan Martin. Someone who can both handle a longer climb as well as a murito finish.

A puncheur who climbs well is Matthews or Ulissi. Great kick on a shorter, less steep (or steep if <1km) ramp and who can handle a short to medium length climb.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,707
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

Re: Re:

25 May 2018 07:02

Samamba wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Samamba wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Samamba wrote:First pro win for Bjorg Lambrecht in the Tour des Fjords.
Albasini wins the GC.

Just seen that result. Looks like from the result that Lambrecht beat Albasini and Boassen-Hagen in a gentle uphill sprint? :surprised:


Yeah, last km had a 5% gradient, with the last 300m at 8%. A finish that suits Lambrecht (pretty comparable to the Plumelec finish where he was 2nd at the EC in 2016).

That's really impressive. Is the feeling in Belgium that he'll develop into more of an Ardennes specialist than a stage racer at the moment?


Not sure tbh. I think he can develop into a Purito type of rider, so both (I'm not saying he will reach Purito's level obv). He has that punch at the end of a hill or mountain that can make him a real winner. He's a real lightweight though. His TT is absolute **** and he has troubles placing himself just before sprints or climbs. One small push from another rider and he immediately drops 20 places. Obviously that will get better with experience, but I fear that he will never be a decent TTer. It's also possible that he turns out to be more of an Alaphilippe type of rider, but in the u23 ranks he was definitely a better climber than Alaphilippe was back when he was in that category. Bernal was the only one who climbed consistently better than him, and we all know that that dude is from another planet.

His "partner in crime" Harm Vanhoucke will be a pure climber though. He will go pro after riding the Baby Giro (although he's having some fatigue problem right now) and the Tour de Savoie. I think he was the only u23 guy who was able to beat Bernal on a climb last year (first stage Savoie if I remember correctly). He's not the most consistent rider though, Lambrecht is.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the potential is still there for big improvements when he gets a bit more street wise in the pro peloton. He should get plenty of opportunities to lead in stage races at Lotto as well - even at a young age - so it will be great to see how he develops.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,363
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

25 May 2018 14:51

Laporte winning the ITT in Belgium, takes GC as well.
Good to know there are at least some semblances of normality in the world.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,820
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

25 May 2018 16:16

Heh, that was quite some day when Laporte beating Grivko in a flat TT is considered somewhat normal.

And yes, I am aware of the thread/meme.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,195
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

25 May 2018 16:21

Laporte is the greatest. Laporte will start riding every stage in the Giro tonight and catch up with the others tomorrow. :cool:










(I'm being slightly silly now...)
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,820
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

26 May 2018 17:42

Alois Kankovsky, the Czech rider who just won the 3rd and final stage of the 2.2 rated Gemenc Grand Prix in Hungary, must be one of the most prolific winners around. From CQ, I count 44 wins in UCI races since his first victory in 2010. They are all in small Eastern European or Asian races, except for one: This year he got a win in the small French stage race Tour du Loir et Cher.
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 1,322
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

26 May 2018 18:11

He's a really good track rider, but on the road he's not really fast enough to be a top level sprinter. He's often beaten by higher level riders who show up at small races who are not known as particularly good sprinters.

He's found a very good niche for himself
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,299
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

30 May 2018 20:28

Damien Gaudin won the traditional Tour de Luxembourg prologue this evening. 3 Direct Energie in the top 5.

Saturday and Sunday are the same col de l'Europe and Pabeierbierg finishing circuits as every year. don't think the Schifflange stage on Friday is usual though - finishing on a 500m 13% climb

not even 1 WT team taking part this year :/.
escartin
Junior Member
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 31 May 2011 16:10

30 May 2018 21:31

Hammer races are killing the startlist of Luxembourg.
Nirvana
Member
 
Posts: 1,090
Joined: 28 Jul 2015 18:17
Location: Florence

31 May 2018 05:51

So close again for Alexander Krieger to a breakthrough win. He really deserves at ProConti contract.
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,357
Joined: 28 Sep 2010 04:32
Location: There there.

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Ursus and 21 guests

Back to top