Register

The Quickstep Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

11 Oct 2018 10:24

tobydawq wrote:
Valanga wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Why does a "ce" result in a k sound? I didn't think any Latin pr Germanic languages could do that.

You shouldn't see it as c+e, but c+eu. And eu is like the French eu (as in Bleu, Dieu, ...) or your Danish ø.

Yes, but if you had a French word with the letter combination "ceu" it would be an s-sound. If you wanted a k-sound you would then have to spell it queu.

I thought the name was in Dutch/Flemish.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

11 Oct 2018 10:24

RedheadDane wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
Valanga wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Why does a "ce" result in a k sound? I didn't think any Latin pr Germanic languages could do that.

You shouldn't see it as c+e, but c+eu. And eu is like the French eu (as in Bleu, Dieu, ...) or your Danish ø.

Yes, but if you had a French word with the letter combination "ceu" it would be an s-sound. If you wanted a k-sound you would then have to spell it queu.

I thought the name was in Dutch/Flemish.

Yes, but the other poster said I should take it as a French eu.
User avatar tobydawq

11 Oct 2018 10:27

That name makes me think of the Dutch/Flemish dub of the Lion King
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

03 Nov 2018 14:10

For QS fans, a great interview with Sigfrid Eggers(team's photographer), he talked about the riders, team dynamic...

https://www.facebook.com/rouleur.magazine/videos/1050846041768829/
can3478

03 Nov 2018 21:53

Lexman wrote:
Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Leinster wrote:I'll be going with De-kuy-nink, until someone demonstrates otherwise with certainty.

Sounds like
curb
curve
surf

English speakers, it's probably best pronounced as "De Kerning".

There's no "r" in De Ceuninck

Just pronounce it as TheKing which is the literal tanslation

lol - No, there is no "r" in the Deceuninck, i never said there was, but English speakers will come much closer to pronouncing it correctly if they pronounce it as "kerning". Especially if pronounced the English way (not the American way).

can3478 wrote:For QS fans, a great interview with Sigfrid Eggers(team's photographer), he talked about the riders, team dynamic...

https://www.facebook.com/rouleur.magazine/videos/1050846041768829/

Cool, thanks.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

06 Nov 2018 16:20

http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/petr-vako-back-to-the-pack-in-100-days/3858

Petr Vakoc will be racing again in 100 days. He talks about his crash and the road to recovery. Very interesting read!
User avatar Akuryo

Previous

Return to Professional road racing