Register

The Quickstep Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

11 Oct 2018 10:24

tobydawq wrote:
Valanga wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Why does a "ce" result in a k sound? I didn't think any Latin pr Germanic languages could do that.

You shouldn't see it as c+e, but c+eu. And eu is like the French eu (as in Bleu, Dieu, ...) or your Danish ø.

Yes, but if you had a French word with the letter combination "ceu" it would be an s-sound. If you wanted a k-sound you would then have to spell it queu.

I thought the name was in Dutch/Flemish.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Re:

11 Oct 2018 10:24

RedheadDane wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
Valanga wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Why does a "ce" result in a k sound? I didn't think any Latin pr Germanic languages could do that.

You shouldn't see it as c+e, but c+eu. And eu is like the French eu (as in Bleu, Dieu, ...) or your Danish ø.

Yes, but if you had a French word with the letter combination "ceu" it would be an s-sound. If you wanted a k-sound you would then have to spell it queu.

I thought the name was in Dutch/Flemish.

Yes, but the other poster said I should take it as a French eu.
User avatar tobydawq

11 Oct 2018 10:27

That name makes me think of the Dutch/Flemish dub of the Lion King
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Previous

Return to Professional road racing