Register

Transfers and Rumours 2018 > 2019

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: Transfers and Rumours 2018 > 2019

16 May 2018 20:43

In my opinion this three leaders idea was Unzue's plan to derail the sky train in the tour which is completely useless now as sky will most likely not be the team to beat. In the moment Froome said he wanted to go for the double they should have put the giro on Landa's schedule (or valverde's if Landa hadn't wanted). Now they might very well be in the position to have a rider in yellow early and the other two leaders are just riding around not knowing what to do with their good legs. Would be hilarious if both Quintana and Landa end up riding for Valverde.

To come back to topic. I wouldn't be surprised if Landa wants to leave again soon and if Astana wants to sign a new gc leader as Lopez seems to have huge problems on any terrain except long climbs. But I don't see that move happening after this season already. If it happens it would be hilarious though :D
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

16 May 2018 20:57

Gigs_98 wrote:In my opinion this three leaders idea was Unzue's plan to derail the sky train in the tour which is completely useless now as sky will most likely not be the team to beat. In the moment Froome said he wanted to go for the double they should have put the giro on Landa's schedule (or valverde's if Landa hadn't wanted). Now they might very well be in the position to have a rider in yellow early and the other two leaders are just riding around not knowing what to do with their good legs. Would be hilarious if both Quintana and Landa end up riding for Valverde.

To come back to topic. I wouldn't be surprised if Landa wants to leave again soon and if Astana wants to sign a new gc leader as Lopez seems to have huge problems on any terrain except long climbs. But I don't see that move happening after this season already. If it happens it would be hilarious though :D

It certainly would be and if Valverde is good in the first week, it's very difficult to imagine him not putting a significant amount of time into either of his co-captains.

And what would they do then?
User avatar tobydawq

16 May 2018 21:06

tobydawq wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:In my opinion this three leaders idea was Unzue's plan to derail the sky train in the tour which is completely useless now as sky will most likely not be the team to beat. In the moment Froome said he wanted to go for the double they should have put the giro on Landa's schedule (or valverde's if Landa hadn't wanted). Now they might very well be in the position to have a rider in yellow early and the other two leaders are just riding around not knowing what to do with their good legs. Would be hilarious if both Quintana and Landa end up riding for Valverde.

It certainly would be and if Valverde is good in the first week, it's very difficult to imagine him not putting a significant amount of time into either of his co-captains.

Lose the Tour against Bardet!
User avatar staubsauger

16 May 2018 21:14

User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

17 May 2018 09:01

Some Giro rumours about a few of the young Italians:
-Ciccone has a buy out clause in his contract, Astana, Trek, UAE and AG2R (replacement for Pozzovivo as their guy for the Italian races?) are apparently interesting in signing him. He's managed by Johnny Carera, so Bahrain would also make sense.
-Ballerini also has a buy out clause in his contract, Astana and Katusha want to sign him, Trek and EF Drapac have also shown interest.
-Masnada apparently also has a few offers, but Savio would like to keep him on his team.
Source: http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/2018/05/17/112100/mercato-i-giovani-italiani-ballerini-masnada-ciccone-pier-augusto-stagi-tuttobiciweb
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

Re:

17 May 2018 16:52

[quote="Libertine Seguros"][/quote]

How'd you get a picture of Dumoulin with Escartin and Chaba?
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re: Re:

17 May 2018 19:06

GuyIncognito wrote:

I don't see Dumoulin at all in Olano, Poels would be a better choice
Moviestar

17 May 2018 19:38

Moviestar wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:

How so? Poels is far less consistent from stage to stage than Olano, more explosive, not half the TT rider most of the time, and better in short climbs. Also much worse downhill. Their finish is similar, I'll give you that.
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

17 May 2018 20:08

Mayomaniac wrote:Some Giro rumours about a few of the young Italians:
-Ciccone has a buy out clause in his contract, Astana, Trek, UAE and AG2R (replacement for Pozzovivo as their guy for the Italian races?) are apparently interesting in signing him. He's managed by Johnny Carera, so Bahrain would also make sense.
-Ballerini also has a buy out clause in his contract, Astana and Katusha want to sign him, Trek and EF Drapac have also shown interest.
-Masnada apparently also has a few offers, but Savio would like to keep him on his team.
Source: http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/2018/05/17/112100/mercato-i-giovani-italiani-ballerini-masnada-ciccone-pier-augusto-stagi-tuttobiciweb

Ciccone to Bahrein would just make so much sense. It's a team full of Italian veterans who will all retire in the next few years, so the team needs new young riders. Ciccone is probably Italy's best current climbing prospect and as this is the most Italian WT team so he would be a perfect fit
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

17 May 2018 20:17

Gigs_98 wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:Some Giro rumours about a few of the young Italians:

Ciccone to Bahrein would just make so much sense. It's a team full of Italian veterans who will all retire in the next few years, so the team needs new young riders. Ciccone is probably Italy's best current climbing prospect and as this is the most Italian WT team so he would be a perfect fit

Yes, last year I already hoped that he would sign with them and ride with Nibali and Pozzovivo.
Next year they could have him and Padun racing and learning from Nibali and Pozzovivo, that would be a great learning experience for them and the team could slowly built the 2 young gc riders behind their 2 main guys (and Ion, if you want to see him as a gc rider for gts).
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

17 May 2018 20:45

GuyIncognito wrote:
Moviestar wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:

How so? Poels is far less consistent from stage to stage than Olano, more explosive, not half the TT rider most of the time, and better in short climbs. Also much worse downhill. Their finish is similar, I'll give you that.

Are you guys talking about riders being similar in looks, or in riding style/abilities?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

17 May 2018 21:22

tobydawq wrote:

I could definitely see that happening just because of the way the first week to 10 days is laid out. Somehow I don't think this is one of the scenarios the team ever imagined either. The way the first week plays out it could end up with Valverde and Nibali having significant time on everyone else in the GC after the cobbled stage and they both proved this spring they are more than capable of handling cobbles.

As to the Giro, Valverde actually had wanted to race the Giro. Except there was no way he was going to be able to. After his sprint schedule he said that his body was screaming at him at LBL that it was time for a break. With the injury and everything he had to put into his rehab there was never going to be any way he would have been able to have raced the Giro this year.

Now back on topic, there was an article in a Spanish publication that Landa apparently is wondering if he made the wrong choice in coming to Movistar. (Um, I think most of us thought he would have been better off back at Astana or going to Trek). Maybe he needs a better agent? Then again during Ardennes week he said he was very happy to get a chance to race with Valverde as his team leader because he learned he still has a lot to learn about being a team leader.
User avatar Koronin

17 May 2018 21:35

No matter what happened that day at Sestriere, Martinelli was always the best sports director to handle a rider & character like Landa!
User avatar staubsauger

19 May 2018 22:18

GuyIncognito wrote:
Moviestar wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:

Thought you were hinting at the looks, my bad.
Moviestar

Yesterday 11:32

Trek want Simon Yates
Bahrain want a British rider, (Cav?)
MatParker117

Re:

Yesterday 12:05

MatParker117 wrote:Trek want Simon Yates
Bahrain want a British rider, (Cav?)

They want Greipel.
User avatar Samamba

Yesterday 12:43

Gigs_98 wrote:Now they might very well be in the position to have a rider in yellow early and the other two leaders are just riding around not knowing what to do with their good legs.

User avatar vedrafjord

Previous

Return to Professional road racing