Register

Transfers and Rumours 2018 > 2019

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

10 Jul 2018 20:56

This forum would explode if he signed with Sky.
User avatar Moviefan1203

10 Jul 2018 22:24

For Sky, he could literally ride Febuary-April schedule and do whatever the **** he wants for the remainder of the seasono
MuskyOurSaviour

12 Jul 2018 05:32

Alex Evans (Mobius-BridgeLane) joins BMC Racing Team as a stagiaire for the remainder of the 2018 season.
http://mobiusbridgelane.com.au/2018/07/alexander-evans-joins-bmc-racing-team-stagiaire/
User avatar claude cat

12 Jul 2018 09:12

Stephen Williams to Bahrain.
User avatar DNP-Old

12 Jul 2018 20:31

Rumours about Hagen and Quick-Step Floors? Michel Wuyts (Sporza, Belgium TV) told about talks between Lefevre and the manager of EBH.
Bakkie

12 Jul 2018 21:39

Brian Holm did mention EBH in Danish media as well.
Baldinger

12 Jul 2018 21:49

That would be a great move and a route to possibly finally fulfilling his talent
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

13 Jul 2018 11:01

Cees Bol, not related to Jetse Bol, signs with Sunweb. After Nieuwenhuis and Kanter their 3rd signing for the new season. Bol spent most of his 2017 season being out with a concussion, but has bounced back this season with a couple of good results.

George Bennett signs a new 2-year contract with LottoNL.
Der Effe

Re:

14 Jul 2018 05:16

Der Effe wrote:Cees Bol, not related to Jetse Bol, signs with Sunweb. After Nieuwenhuis and Kanter their 3rd signing for the new season. Bol spent most of his 2017 season being out with a concussion, but has bounced back this season with a couple of good results.

George Bennett signs a new 2-year contract with LottoNL.

Nice one for George.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Transfers and Rumours 2018 > 2019

14 Jul 2018 07:59

www.twitter.com/laflammerouge16

According to L'Equipe, Richie Porte will be in Aqua Blue Sport next year and the Irish Team will be into World Tour

wow!
pastronef

14 Jul 2018 08:17

I thought there were no spots available for 2019?

And what happened to last week's "Porte refused Aqua Blue's offer and signed with Trek"?
User avatar GuyIncognito

14 Jul 2018 08:32

pastronef wrote:www.twitter.com/laflammerouge16

According to L'Equipe, Richie Porte will be in Aqua Blue Sport next year and the Irish Team will be into World Tour

wow!

Woah...Why would he go to Aqua? So many other WT teams.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

14 Jul 2018 09:14

silvergrenade wrote:

wow!

If they would became WT it wouldn't be a silly idea, just like Sagan to Bora.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

14 Jul 2018 09:23

wow!

I expect if this is true then Ewan will be at the same team. Benson mentioned Aqua Blue as a contender for Porte.
yaco

14 Jul 2018 10:19

silvergrenade wrote:

wow!

Shades of BMC and Cadel although unless they received a cash injection you would think he would earn more elsewhere and also be at a much better team. Think i believe more in the Trek rumour or maybe one of the mid east teams. If it's true then Porte is probably saying goodbye to his Tour aspirations. Some would say not before time.
movingtarget
Veteran

14 Jul 2018 10:28

How long does it generally take for a rider to become the lead support rider, or is the variation so great, that the average of a rider's performances in the grand Tours is an unreliable measure/predictor.
Frihed89

14 Jul 2018 10:54

Richie Porte will be 34 before any GTs start next year, and he only has two GT top 10s, one of which was the freak break in the 2010 Giro. Obviously he's long since proven himself in stage racing, as he's collected a formidable one-week palmarès, but realistically, his GT palmarès is still pretty weak. Given that, it's not surprising that many of the top teams are not going to give him a contract to be their #1 guy given that you would expect him to start declining fairly soon. The likes of Sky have their leaders of his generation - Froome, Thomas - and their young successors - Sivakov, Bernal - and likewise Movistar may have Valverde, but Quintana and Landa are five years younger than Porte, plus they have Soler and Carapaz too. Bahrain have aging leaders which may free up some space, but Nibali is only two months older than Porte and infinitely more proven in GTs as well as one day races, Bora will never need a big-time stage race leader so long as Sagan can bring them all the success they need to keep the team prominent, Mitchelton have Chaves - 5 years younger - and the Yates brothers - 7 years younger - and seem to be gravitating away from their "Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!" roots, and I'm not sure Porte would want to be well down the totem pole either. Also, Jack Haig's pretty good for the future too. No GC contender worth their salt is going to Quick Step, Lotto-NL have Roglič and just locked Bennett down, Sunweb's led by Dumoulin who's 5 years younger and they already have in Hindley and Storer two strong Australian climbing prospects, plus they have Kelderman too of course, and UAE have Aru.

That more or less leaves Porte with Trek, Katyusha (where he'll probably only be co-leader with Zakarin anyway), the French teams which I don't see as particularly likely, or places like Dimension Data and Slipstream, where aging contenders go to die or throw one last roll of the dice at the top level (and the latter have Urán too anyway). Having been very critical of Aqua Blue's team as a bunch of decent but unspectacular journeymen, that's still a level higher than Cuddles' original BMC team and not much of a step down on teams like Dimension Data and EF-Cannondale, especially as signing Porte may lure a couple of other decent level veterans to help teach the most interesting riders ABS have got, i.e. Dunbar and Pedersen and strengthen that squad a bit, especially as the team boss is smarting a bit this year from not getting the Vuelta invite he thought he deserved (but wasn't as vocal when he equally arbitrarily got that invite last year, of course) so will be keen to prevent that happening again. There aren't many ProConti teams you could argue were strong enough to support a leader like Porte at the level of calendar he would be looking for, even as a veteran, and so the ProConti teams who have the clout or the ambition to step up would seem the only realistic ones, which leaves ABS and Israel Cycling Academy, since Cofidis and Fortuneo already have their figureheads and signing Porte would be against the stated policy of Roompot.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Re:

14 Jul 2018 13:25

It seems that I again underestimated how rich Aquablue’s owner is. I wonder is there a sponsorship lined up because paying for a WT team would be quite a jump. If this does happen it would seem that there will be quite an Australian flavour to the team, with Porte as the GC man and presumably the suddenly teamless Caleb Ewan as sprinter. The latter, of course, being the team owners son in law. You’d have to assume that Nico Roche would come across to support Porte as he’s the highest profile out of contract Irish rider.

There’s already the basics of a competent team to support a high level GC man and sprinter. Lots of solid rouleurs, plus climbers like Denifl and Warbasse. What they are short of is a chief lieutenant for each of superdom quality.

It’s interesting that they are ambitious enough to be talking to such riders, but ultimately I’ll believe it when I see it. Trek seem like a lower risk proposition for someone like Porte.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re: Re:

14 Jul 2018 17:47

Zinoviev Letter wrote:It seems that I again underestimated how rich Aquablue’s owner is. I wonder is there a sponsorship lined up because paying for a WT team would be quite a jump. If this does happen it would seem that there will be quite an Australian flavour to the team, with Porte as the GC man and presumably the suddenly teamless Caleb Ewan as sprinter. The latter, of course, being the team owners son in law. You’d have to assume that Nico Roche would come across to support Porte as he’s the highest profile out of contract Irish rider.

There’s already the basics of a competent team to support a high level GC man and sprinter. Lots of solid rouleurs, plus climbers like Denifl and Warbasse. What they are short of is a chief lieutenant for each of superdom quality.

It’s interesting that they are ambitious enough to be talking to such riders, but ultimately I’ll believe it when I see it. Trek seem like a lower risk proposition for someone like Porte.

they train together almost every week when not racing, all living in Monaco or thereabouts. that would be a nice AquaBlue team if they all get together.
pastronef

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing