Register

Transfers and Rumours 2018 > 2019

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

09 Jun 2018 05:05

Odd move if it happens. He continues to say he wants to continue focusing on GTs at least for the next couple of seasons and he's got a team that is supporting him in that and hasn't forced him to go to the Tour to slave for Porte for two seasons now. Why would he go to a team with Nibali and Pozzo? You'd think Izagirre would like his own shot at some point as well.

Which seems more likely?

Things aren't looking good for BMC.
BMC is ready to end the Dennis GT experiment.
It's just about the money.

Another reason I'm missing?
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

09 Jun 2018 06:04

Pozzovivo will be 36 this fall, Nibali wants to focus on the classics in the coming years and Izagirre bros will ride for the GC in a GT for the first time in this year Vuelta and are unproven, there is no doubt that they need another GC rider.
Already last winter there were rumors about them wanting Pinot.
Nirvana

09 Jun 2018 06:46

If they want another GC rider they shouldn't sign a non GC rider like Dennis.
User avatar tobydawq

09 Jun 2018 07:48

They should sign Ciccone and Sosa.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

Re:

09 Jun 2018 08:12

tobydawq wrote:If they want another GC rider they shouldn't sign a non GC rider like Dennis.

Dennis is selling himself as a GC rider with his four years plan.
Nirvana

Re: Re:

09 Jun 2018 08:13

Nirvana wrote:
tobydawq wrote:If they want another GC rider they shouldn't sign a non GC rider like Dennis.

Yes but that doesn't make him a GC rider.
User avatar tobydawq

09 Jun 2018 16:37

tobydawq wrote:
Nirvana wrote:

His best GT finish is one place worse than that of Geraint Thomas and he’s four years younger
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

09 Jun 2018 16:44

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
Nirvana wrote:

His best GT finish is one place worse than that of Geraint Thomas and he’s four years younger

And what does that tell us?
Nothing, really. There is a world of difference between the two riders.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

09 Jun 2018 16:59

Valv.Piti wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
Nirvana wrote:

And what does that tell us?
Nothing, really. There is a world of difference between the two riders.

It tells us that people who believe Thomas can win the Tour de France shouldn’t be so quick to write off the prospects of a much younger rider with a similarly bad GC record as a potential GC rider.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

09 Jun 2018 17:24

But Thomas had showed much more potential for GT GC four years ago than Dennis has now!

Said no one.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

09 Jun 2018 17:29

Netserk wrote:But Thomas had showed much more potential for GT GC four years ago than Dennis has now!

Said no one.

He'd won more races.
MatParker117

09 Jun 2018 17:38

MatParker117 wrote:
Netserk wrote:But Thomas had showed much more potential for GT GC four years ago than Dennis has now!

Said no one.

He'd won more races.

Thomas had won 6 races. Dennis has won 23.
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

09 Jun 2018 17:45

Netserk wrote:
MatParker117 wrote:

Said no one.

He'd won more races.

Thomas had won 6 races. Dennis has won 23.

There's a pretty significant difference between winning flat time trials and beating Pozzovivo & Pinot at a mountain top finish in Trentino or beating Contador and Porte at a mountain top finish in Paris - Nice.
User avatar Squire

09 Jun 2018 17:47

Which of those had Thomas done four years ago?
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

09 Jun 2018 18:24

Netserk wrote:Which of those had Thomas done four years ago?

Beat Pinot twice in Germany and three monument top tens.
MatParker117

09 Jun 2018 18:25

But Thomas was in the front group in the cobbled stage of 2010 in the Tour.

A group were everybody would go on to win GTs, WCs or continue to be Cancellara. Thomas is the only one missing :)
User avatar tobydawq

09 Jun 2018 22:23

MatParker117 wrote:
Netserk wrote:Which of those had Thomas done four years ago?

Beat Pinot twice in Germany and three monument top tens.

Squire was critiquing the use of number of wins as a factor, pointing out that many of Dennis' wins have been in flat time trials and drawing attention to wins Thomas has in events relevant to his prospects as a GT contender. Netserk asked which of these relevant achievements had been achieved four years ago, i.e. at the age Dennis is now. So while nobody in their right mind should argue Thomas didn't have a decent palmarès four years ago, let's be clear that while he has always been demonstrably one of the best climbers among the cobbled contenders, at that point in time there was nothing in his palmarès that suggested contending for a GT would be even remotely possible.

In the results you give above, he beat Pinot twice in the Bayern Rundfahrt. A race which holds the record for "most embarrassing misuse of terrain available" wins, taking the title almost every year the race was run. And on one of those occasions Pinot was 20 years old. And all three of those monument top 10s were in the Northern Classics. They are not relevant to the consideration of whether Dennis or Thomas showed capabilities as a mountain climber or a GC candidate any more than Nairo Quintana winning the Giro d'Italia is relevant to his prospects of winning Milano-Sanremo, I'm afraid. Geraint Thomas is very much like George Hincapie, a guy who has come from the Classics who had not-bad-for-a-Classics-guy climbing chops, has never quite managed that monument victory that seemed to be on the cards from his performances, then has been turned by a dominant team into a strong engine for his leader using that Northern Classics toughness and his decent climbing level, and gradually inched further forward in the mountain train until he's the heir apparent even though he's not actually actively contested any three week races (unlike George, though, Geraint did at least get the opportunity to lead one, though crashes derailed that) and is over 30 by the time he actually gets to a genuine GT-leading situation.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 21:59

I think that there is another rider whose future should be discussed and I believe that in a few days we will start to see what is going to happen: Wout van Aert. In my opinion and I think you agree with me, he would fit in QuickStep.

I also heard a commentator that has lots and lots of contacts in WT that there is probably a Portuguese rider going to QuickStep. Probably João Almeida or one of the Oliveira brothers? We will see.
Brt147

Re:

14 Jun 2018 14:06

I think it is João Almeida, winner of Liège - Bastogne - Liège U23, 5 in general of Ronde de l'Isard and 7 to the general Giro Ciclistico d'Italia after the six stages, but according to the Procyclingstats the João has a contract until 2019 and the brothers oliveira don't.

Brt147 wrote:I think that there is another rider whose future should be discussed and I believe that in a few days we will start to see what is going to happen: Wout van Aert. In my opinion and I think you agree with me, he would fit in QuickStep.

I also heard a commentator that has lots and lots of contacts in WT that there is probably a Portuguese rider going to QuickStep. Probably João Almeida or one of the Oliveira brothers? We will see.
PedroMonteiro

14 Jun 2018 15:10

Antunes to QS please!
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing