Log in:  

Register

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 1.UWT (24/2/2018)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 1.UWT (24/2/2018)

23 Feb 2018 19:55

SKSemtex wrote:Let's see how GVA can handle being marked as No 1 favorite. He is not used to it. :)


He's already said he wishes Sagan was here. :) He says Sagan would go full gas with him. It's takes some of the burden off his own shoulders. I personally think he could definitely find an ally in Gilbert.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,541
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re: Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 1.UWT (24/2/2018)

23 Feb 2018 20:35

Jspear wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:Let's see how GVA can handle being marked as No 1 favorite. He is not used to it. :)


He's already said he wishes Sagan was here. :) He says Sagan would go full gas with him. It's takes some of the burden off his own shoulders. I personally think he could definitely find an ally in Gilbert.

I could see him doing "a Stannard".. Imagine Gilbert, Terpstra and Stybar breaking away from the peloton with him on their wheel. How are they going to drop him?

Gilbert dropping him on Muur van Geraardsbergen is the only possibility. But that is a very difficult task. It's not like he is riding against Durbridge.
WheelofGear
Member
 
Posts: 1,717
Joined: 13 May 2015 06:46

23 Feb 2018 20:50

We could very well see the same trio as we saw in E3 last year. They should definitely be able to keep the bunch at bay.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,997
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re:

23 Feb 2018 21:35

Netserk wrote:We could very well see the same trio as we saw in E3 last year. They should definitely be able to keep the bunch at bay.

Sounds very possible. GVA, Naesen, and Gilbert. But with Benoot in the quartet as well taking a nice 4th place. :p
WheelofGear
Member
 
Posts: 1,717
Joined: 13 May 2015 06:46

23 Feb 2018 22:34

Looks like Gilbert is ready to attack earlier out. Fingers crossed.

While everyone's talking about Muur-Bosberg, Gilbert pointed to a less obvious focal point – the Molenberg, which comes with just over 50km out, the seventh of 13 climbs on the 195km route.

"Molenberg is like very small roads, and it always splits there because there's no space, then it goes up, then it's false flat, and you never come back because everyone stays in their position," said Gilbert.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gilbert-points-to-molenberg-as-key-climb-in-new-omloop-het-nieuwsblad-course/
WheelofGear
Member
 
Posts: 1,717
Joined: 13 May 2015 06:46

24 Feb 2018 01:09

Well, Molenberg's been a selection point in Ronde for years, I'm sure the others are aware, as well.

Surely I've seen the course change, but somehow I've forgotten about it and the OP reminded me again.
It changes the complexion of Omloop, but it's nice to see what most of fans consider "the classic Ronde conclusion".
Looking forward to it, just like every season.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,029
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

Re: Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 1.UWT (24/2/2018)

24 Feb 2018 06:48

I wish for strong tailwind and Vanmarcke´s kicking everybody's *** on Muur and his solo win.
User avatar SKSemtex
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,148
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:01

Re:

24 Feb 2018 07:27

WheelofGear wrote:Looks like Gilbert is ready to attack earlier out. Fingers crossed.

While everyone's talking about Muur-Bosberg, Gilbert pointed to a less obvious focal point – the Molenberg, which comes with just over 50km out, the seventh of 13 climbs on the 195km route.

"Molenberg is like very small roads, and it always splits there because there's no space, then it goes up, then it's false flat, and you never come back because everyone stays in their position," said Gilbert.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gilbert-points-to-molenberg-as-key-climb-in-new-omloop-het-nieuwsblad-course/


So will we see a repeat of 2017's De Ronde 50 km dash for the line by Gilbert? :D
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,172
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

24 Feb 2018 08:01

There's also a scary dog who lives at the top of Molenberg which focuses your mind a bit. I think it's too far out to make the final cut - really it's somewhere you can lose the race rather than win it.
CarlosFandangoJnr
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Feb 2018 20:48
Location: UK

24 Feb 2018 08:52

Yes! One of my favorites days of the year. Omloop always delivers. It's hard to look past Van Avermaet for this one. He seems in stellar shape and has won twice before. Noone is gonna drop him on the hills, and he's one of the fastest on the line. I can see two scenarios in which he he doesn't win: 1) Tactical reasons in which noone is gonna cooperate with Van Avermaet and someone strong like Gilbert, Vanmarcke or Terpstra rides away, 2) A faster man gets to the line with him. This seems rather unlikely, but Trentin would probably be the best bet for a winner in a scenario like this. Colbrelli, Gaviria etc. also have a small chance.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,363
Joined: 09 May 2010 08:08

Re: Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 1.UWT (24/2/2018)

24 Feb 2018 08:58

WheelofGear wrote:
Jspear wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:Let's see how GVA can handle being marked as No 1 favorite. He is not used to it. :)


He's already said he wishes Sagan was here. :) He says Sagan would go full gas with him. It's takes some of the burden off his own shoulders. I personally think he could definitely find an ally in Gilbert.

I could see him doing "a Stannard".. Imagine Gilbert, Terpstra and Stybar breaking away from the peloton with him on their wheel. How are they going to drop him?

Gilbert dropping him on Muur van Geraardsbergen is the only possibility. But that is a very difficult task. It's not like he is riding against Durbridge.


I'm sure that Gilbert can out sprint Van Avermaet on a good day, especially if Terpstra and Stybar tire him up enough.
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,394
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

24 Feb 2018 09:23

How's the weather?
Google says 2-3 degrees but dry. Correct?
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,136
Joined: 02 Sep 2011 13:38
Location: Milano, Italy

Re:

24 Feb 2018 09:39

SafeBet wrote:How's the weather?
Google says 2-3 degrees but dry. Correct?

I can't speak for all of Belgium but when I went on my morning ride I couldn't open my bottle because it was frozen stuck.
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan
Member
 
Posts: 1,714
Joined: 27 Dec 2015 16:46
Location: in Flanders fields where poppies blow

24 Feb 2018 09:39

1 Lutsenko
2 Van Baarle
3 Naesen

Lets go for the unpredictable
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,047
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

24 Feb 2018 10:05

User avatar MagnusMagnussen
Junior Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 18 Dec 2012 08:15

24 Feb 2018 10:22

1 GVA
2 STYBAR
3 VANMARCKE
User avatar Poursuivant
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,048
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 18:19

24 Feb 2018 11:04

OmloopHetNieuwsblad
‏@OmloopHNB

8 riders in the front: Mathis, Van Staeyen, Vanbilsen, Van Goethem, E. Planckaert, Svendgaard, De Bondt and De Winter. #OHN18

OmloopHetNieuwsblad
@OmloopHNB

Saramotins and Ariesen also make the jump to the head of the race. 10 leaders now with 15sec on the pack! #OHN18
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,997
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

24 Feb 2018 11:09

Already 2 minutes ahead of the peloton:

Kenneth Vanbilsen (Cofidis, Solutions Crédits)
Dries De Bondt (Veranda's Willems - Crelan)
Michael Van Staeyen (Cofidis, Solutions Crédits)
Marco Mathis (Team Katusha - Alpecin)
Brian van Goethem (Roompot - Nederlandse Loterij)
Aleksejs Saramotins (BORA - hansgrohe)
Tim Ariesen (Roompot - Nederlandse Loterij)
Edward Planckaert (Sport Vlaanderen - Baloise)
Michael Svendgaard (Team Fortuneo - Samsic)
Ludwig De Winter (WB - Aqua Protect - Veranclassic)
User avatar MagnusMagnussen
Junior Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 18 Dec 2012 08:15

24 Feb 2018 11:10

Keisse on duty. Pretty good break for the favorites.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,997
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

24 Feb 2018 11:18

I assume all leaders will avoid being in the group with GVA entering Geraardsbergen. Those who can follow him on the Muur-Bosberg will probabilly not outsprinst him.
With this in mind, I expect a early selection maybe even earlier than in the Molenberg. And imeadiatly after the first attacks from 2nd/3rd tier favourites. How J. Roelandts perfoms will be decisive and judging from what he showed at VCV he is in good shape.
User avatar jfazendeiro
Junior Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 08 Aug 2017 17:33

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Breh, Carols, Eshnar, pastronef, Red Rick, Urbi27 and 26 guests

Back to top