Register

Will the Tour of Switzerland ever be ?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Will the Tour of Switzerland ever be ?

20 Feb 2018 23:07

Hi All,
For as long as I can remember , the Tour of Switzerland has been relatively easy for pro tour riders. I never seem to understand this as the country has a lot of mountains with steep climbs..

Has there ever been a year where it was gruelling with killer climbs ?

Will there ever be a gruelling route that will have killer climbs with MTF's similar to Spanish race organizers ?
User avatar masking_agent

20 Feb 2018 23:11

Ever heard about Rettenbachgletscher?
Velolover2

20 Feb 2018 23:26

If Killian Frankiny becomes a bigger star than Stefan Küng, the Tour de Suisse will get harder.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

21 Feb 2018 01:15

You are confusing a hard route versus quality of the competition.

I have seen hard stages over the years at the Tour de Suisse.
Last edited by Escarabajo on 21 Feb 2018 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

21 Feb 2018 01:34

Last year had some epic stages.

The wet Albulapass descent in pouring rain + the brutal climb through the Tiefenbachgletscher rock tunnel.

What more do people want?
Velolover2

21 Feb 2018 01:56

I think there is some rhyme and reason to not making the minor races crazy hard.
Son of Amsterhammer

Re:

21 Feb 2018 03:47

Son of Amsterhammer wrote:I think there is some rhyme and reason to not making the minor races crazy hard.

Yes, so they can be used for prep...in a way that's sad.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re: Will the Tour of Switzerland ever be ?

21 Feb 2018 06:33

In 2016 they had three mountain stages in a row with average speed of 34 km/h. How is that not hard enough? Lopez final speed was 37 km/h overall after 9 stages. :rolleyes:
Max Rockatansky

21 Feb 2018 08:37

I think one could actually argue the tds is too hard. The field for this race is not what it should be considering the races rich history and the main reason for that is it's difficulty. Right now everyone who is serious about winning the tour has two other preparation races which are better suited for that.
To be honest I don't want the race to become really easy since that would be a waste of Switzerland but I think two hard mountain stages would be enough and it definitely shouldn't become harder than it already is. However if the tds date would change, I'm perfectly fine with a super hard route
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

21 Feb 2018 12:06

Max Rockatansky wrote:In 2016 they had three mountain stages in a row with average speed of 34 km/h. How is that not hard enough? Lopez final speed was 37 km/h overall after 9 stages. :rolleyes:

Yeah, 2016 was a super hard route and coupled with the very bad conditions was an extremely hard race which clearly took it toll on a few riders who would have been better off with Dauphine.

I would have no problem with, however, if you just scratched the thinking that because the race its scheduled where it is it doesn't need to be super hard. How about just promoting the race as the 4th GT and make crazy hard stages?!
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

21 Feb 2018 13:51

what I think OP wants to say is,in other words: the Swiss Alps are wasted when they could be the battlefield of epic races :) , and the Austrian side of the alps too.
I mean, if you want to do an all-mountains tour de force there are no better countries than those two. Unfortunately the physiognomy of the land doesn't allow a balanced, 3 weeks tour.
User avatar 46&twoWheels

21 Feb 2018 14:37

46&twoWheels wrote:what I think OP wants to say is,in other words: the Swiss Alps are wasted when they could be the battlefield of epic races :) , and the Austrian side of the alps too.
I mean, if you want to do an all-mountains tour de force there are no better countries than those two. Unfortunately the physiognomy of the land doesn't allow a balanced, 3 weeks tour.

Yes, it would need to be a proper deutschsprachigestour with enough of the flat land and medium mountains of Germany to balance some proper mountain epics across CH/FL/AT and Südtirol (and also the possibility for excursions to parts of eastern-central Europe that are outside the normal reach of grand tours). But there's a relatively short season for reliably taking bike races above 2000m of altitude and it's pretty full, we already see the Tour of Austria run simultaneously with the Tour de France.
VO2 Max

21 Feb 2018 15:05

Gigs_98 wrote:I think one could actually argue the tds is too hard. The field for this race is not what it should be considering the races rich history and the main reason for that is it's difficulty. Right now everyone who is serious about winning the tour has two other preparation races which are better suited for that.
To be honest I don't want the race to become really easy since that would be a waste of Switzerland but I think two hard mountain stages would be enough and it definitely shouldn't become harder than it already is. However if the tds date would change, I'm perfectly fine with a super hard route

I think that the fact that the Tour will start one week later will help them a lot, so guys could try to win thee TdS and still have the same amount of rest that you usually have between the Dauphine and the Tour.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

21 Feb 2018 15:23

VO2 Max wrote:
46&twoWheels wrote:what I think OP wants to say is,in other words: the Swiss Alps are wasted when they could be the battlefield of epic races :) , and the Austrian side of the alps too.

Yes, it would need to be a proper deutschsprachigestour with enough of the flat land and medium mountains of Germany to balance some proper mountain epics across CH/FL/AT and Südtirol (and also the possibility for excursions to parts of eastern-central Europe that are outside the normal reach of grand tours). But there's a relatively short season for reliably taking bike races above 2000m of altitude and it's pretty full, we already see the Tour of Austria run simultaneously with the Tour de France.

If there will ever be a fourth gt I'd want it to be exactly that. I have actually posted two tours which go through these three countries in the race design thread and I don't think I ever had more fun putting together a route. There is just so ridiculously much unexplored potential in the alps which we'll probably never see in a cycling race
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

21 Feb 2018 15:41

Gigs_98 wrote:
VO2 Max wrote:

If there will ever be a fourth gt I'd want it to be exactly that. I have actually posted two tours which go through these three countries in the race design thread and I don't think I ever had more fun putting together a route. There is just so ridiculously much unexplored potential in the alps which we'll probably never see in a cycling race

:-) I was just thinking it would be perfect for that thread, but I only drop by there occasionally to look at the pictures.

I was in Feldberg in 2005 by coincidence a few weeks after the D-Tour finished a stage there and it seemed that race could really have built into something huge, lots of support and enthusiasm from the locals. But we know what happened the following July and the mood was very different for a bit.
VO2 Max

21 Feb 2018 16:26

A fourth GT will never happen unless the Vuelta folds or something. Unfortunately.
User avatar jsem94

21 Feb 2018 18:28

I remember in the 00s, a grand tour winning doper said they regretted riding the tour d Suisse because it was too hard for their tdf prep
spiritualride

Re:

21 Feb 2018 19:01

jsem94 wrote:A fourth GT will never happen unless the Vuelta folds or something. Unfortunately.

84 cycling days solely dedicated to Grand Tours seem a bit too many.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

21 Feb 2018 20:41

jsem94 wrote:A fourth GT will never happen unless the Vuelta folds or something. Unfortunately.

At which point it wouldn't be a fourth GT...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Re:

21 Feb 2018 23:05

RedheadDane wrote:

At which point it wouldn't be a fourth GT...

True. I would be OK with a Swiss GT though, or a greater German-speaking GT. If they could fit it in somewhere that is.
User avatar jsem94

Next

Return to Professional road racing