Log in:  

Register

2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

24 Feb 2018 13:37

Today the real season starts, and in just a week it's already time for the youngest monument of the year! :cool:

Route is basically equal to last year's. Only a few very minor changes.

Image
Image

STARTLIST:
http://www.strade-bianche.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/LISTA_ISCRITTI_UOMINI_SB2018.pdf

PAST EDITIONS:
2017 1 Michał Kwiatkowski - 2 Greg Van Avermaet - 3 Tim Wellens
2016 1 Fabian Cancellara - 2 Zdeněk Štybar - 3 Gianluca Brambilla
2015 1 Zdeněk Štybar - 2 Greg Van Avermaet - 3 Alejandro Valverde
2014 1 Michał Kwiatkowski - 2 Peter Sagan - 3 Alejandro Valverde
2013 1 Moreno Moser - 2 Peter Sagan - 3 Rinaldo Nocentini
2012 1 Fabian Cancellara - 2 Maksim Iglinskij - 3 Oscar Gatto
2011 1 Philippe Gilbert - 2 Alessandro Ballan - 3 Damiano Cunego
2010 1 Maksim Iglinskij - 2 Thomas Lövkvist - 3 Michael Rogers
2009 1 Thomas Lovkvist - 2 Fabian Wegmann - 3 Martin Elmige
2008 1 Fabian Cancellara - 2 Alessandro Ballan - 3 Linus Gerdemann
2007 1 Aleksandr Kolobnev - 2 Marcus Ljungqvist - 3 Mychajlo Chalilov
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator
 
Posts: 8,711
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Bodensee

24 Feb 2018 13:54

Peto sagan for the win... I'm still wonder why he isn't racing today...
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,963
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

Re: 2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

24 Feb 2018 15:56

So, how long will we have to call this race a monument before it actually becomes one?

There is a chance for rain in Siena next saturday. Last year we had the first ever wet Strade Bianche but I'm still waiting for the first muddy Strade Binache. Anyway, Tim Wellens will win this bike race, the weather will only decide by how many minutes :cool:
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,717
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

24 Feb 2018 15:57

Depending on the temperature, Sagan will club everyone here.
Gigs_98 wrote:So, how long will we have to call this race a monument before it actually becomes one?

Easy, tiger. It's far from even Amstel level. So far, it's a neo-classic.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,999
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

24 Feb 2018 16:00

Stybar looks ready.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,587
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

24 Feb 2018 16:05

Stybs, Kwiato, Gianni, Sagan, Greg.. and hopefully also Valv. Lots of great riders who this race suits perfectly! Rain would make it even better.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,530
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: 2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

24 Feb 2018 16:09

I will cheer for Sagan, but Kwiatko will boss him on last climb again and get his name on one of the section.
User avatar SKSemtex
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,145
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:01

Re:

24 Feb 2018 16:19

Netserk wrote:Depending on the temperature, Sagan will club everyone here.
Gigs_98 wrote:So, how long will we have to call this race a monument before it actually becomes one?

Easy, tiger. It's far from even Amstel level. So far, it's a neo-classic.


Yes. Very far from level of boredom. :D
I know that you want AGR to be the greatest race after monuments but it has almost nothing to offer in terms of excitement unless they change the route considerably. Sure it has the history but present peloton is too strong for this type of routes.
User avatar SKSemtex
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,145
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:01

Re:

24 Feb 2018 16:22

Netserk wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:So, how long will we have to call this race a monument before it actually becomes one?

Easy, tiger. It's far from even Amstel level. So far, it's a neo-classic.

I know it's nowhere near monument status as of now, but you must admit that the prestige of this race is very impressive considering its age. Also I'm by far not the only person who makes the monument comparison. I'm not even the first one who made it in this thread.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,717
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Re:

24 Feb 2018 16:24

SKSemtex wrote:
Netserk wrote:Depending on the temperature, Sagan will club everyone here.
Gigs_98 wrote:So, how long will we have to call this race a monument before it actually becomes one?

Easy, tiger. It's far from even Amstel level. So far, it's a neo-classic.


Yes. Very far from level of boredom. :D
I know that you want AGR to be the greatest race after monuments but it has almost nothing to offer in terms of excitement unless they change the route considerably. Sure it has the history but present peloton is too strong for this type of routes.

Last years AGR was great though. If it had stayed a Cauberg uphill sprint any longer I would have agreed though.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,717
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

24 Feb 2018 16:25

SKSemtex wrote:
Netserk wrote:Depending on the temperature, Sagan will club everyone here.
Gigs_98 wrote:So, how long will we have to call this race a monument before it actually becomes one?

Easy, tiger. It's far from even Amstel level. So far, it's a neo-classic.


Yes. Very far from level of boredom. :D
I know that you want AGR to be the greatest race after monuments but it has almost nothing to offer in terms of excitement unless they change the route considerably. Sure it has the history but present peloton is too strong for this type of routes.

Currently, Amstel and G-W are the highest ranking non-monument classics. Flèche is more prestigious than Strade for now as well.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,999
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re:

24 Feb 2018 16:36

Netserk wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:
Netserk wrote:Depending on the temperature, Sagan will club everyone here.
Gigs_98 wrote:So, how long will we have to call this race a monument before it actually becomes one?

Easy, tiger. It's far from even Amstel level. So far, it's a neo-classic.


Yes. Very far from level of boredom. :D
I know that you want AGR to be the greatest race after monuments but it has almost nothing to offer in terms of excitement unless they change the route considerably. Sure it has the history but present peloton is too strong for this type of routes.

Currently, Amstel and G-W are the highest ranking non-monument classics. Flèche is more prestigious than Strade for now as well.

How about OHN? E-3? Its surely more prestigious than the Canadian WT-races and other classics such as Ploauy and Hamburg?
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,530
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

24 Feb 2018 16:50

It' maybe the most entertaining of all, but I agree with Netserk on this one. Amstel, GW and Fleche are bigger races. i would put it in the category of E3, Omloop, San Sebastian and Canadian races, above Hamburg and Plouay.
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,352
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re: 2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

24 Feb 2018 17:29

I am pretty sure that most of the riders would prefer to have his name on one of the section then win 5 times the AGR or FW or G-W.
Btw, that was an excellent marketing move from race organizers.
As I said, the present peloton is too strong for this routs. No selection possible before last hill.
Hopefully size of teams reduced to 6 will bring the excitement to these old classics again.
At this moment is SB much better race by miles.
User avatar SKSemtex
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,145
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:01

Re:

24 Feb 2018 17:38

portugal11 wrote:Peto sagan for the win... I'm still wonder why he isn't racing today...

maybe because we have pro cyclist better than him in this race :confused:
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,417
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

24 Feb 2018 17:42

Maybe this year Valverde wins it.

As for a naming a segment at Fleche Wallone the only rider to have one that race more than 3 times is Valverde who has won it 5 times and a bunch of us have already requested the final time they climb the Mur de Huy be renamed the Mur de Huy de Balaverde. Since Valverde is the only one to have actually won Fleche Wallone more than 3 times it's unlikely most riders even considered winning it 5 times possible, and many probably still don't think it's possible.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,633
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

24 Feb 2018 17:46

rick james wrote:
portugal11 wrote:Peto sagan for the win... I'm still wonder why he isn't racing today...

maybe because we have pro cyclist better than him in this race :confused:

Or because he knows his abilities and thinks that in order to be competitive enough to win the PR or to be competitive in AGR he has to start his season one week later.
He is probably willing to sacrifice SB or even MSR to that goal.
User avatar SKSemtex
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,145
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:01

Re: 2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

24 Feb 2018 17:52

SKSemtex wrote:I am pretty sure that most of the riders would prefer to have his name on one of the section then win 5 times the AGR or FW or G-W.
Btw, that was an excellent marketing move from race organizers.
As I said, the present peloton is too strong for this routs. No selection possible before last hill.
Hopefully size of teams reduced to 6 will bring the excitement to these old classics again.
At this moment is SB much better race by miles.


I'm pretty sure they wouldn't.
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,352
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re:

24 Feb 2018 18:14

Koronin wrote:Maybe this year Valverde wins it.

As for a naming a segment at Fleche Wallone the only rider to have one that race more than 3 times is Valverde who has won it 5 times and a bunch of us have already requested the final time they climb the Mur de Huy be renamed the Mur de Huy de Balaverde. Since Valverde is the only one to have actually won Fleche Wallone more than 3 times it's unlikely most riders even considered winning it 5 times possible, and many probably still don't think it's possible.


Bala isn't on the Iscritti list. Is he really riding here?

Can't see past Kwiatko. He is in superb form.
Max Rockatansky
Member
 
Posts: 1,042
Joined: 16 Jun 2015 11:59

Re: Re:

24 Feb 2018 18:14

Gigs_98 wrote:
Netserk wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:So, how long will we have to call this race a monument before it actually becomes one?

Easy, tiger. It's far from even Amstel level. So far, it's a neo-classic.

I know it's nowhere near monument status as of now, but you must admit that the prestige of this race is very impressive considering its age. Also I'm by far not the only person who makes the monument comparison. I'm not even the first one who made it in this thread.

I agree with yo - SB is definitely one of the elite classics - whether or not you want to call it a monument. History is one factor, but SB fulfills every other criteria. It's a unique course, with an extremely high quality field, many of whom are coming into top form. And, best of all, it's one of the rare chances to see some of the best cobbled riders up against some the best hilly classics riders - with both having chances (although I think it slightly suits the cobbled specialists more because of the time of the year).

Who cares if some inflexible bureaucratic fans want to deny the label 'monument' on some technicalities? The fact is it's easily one of the best races of the season and one that every top rider would love to win.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,336
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Stella0596, VO2 Max and 45 guests

Back to top