Log in:  

Register

2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

24 Feb 2018 18:20

DFA123 wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:
Netserk wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:So, how long will we have to call this race a monument before it actually becomes one?

Easy, tiger. It's far from even Amstel level. So far, it's a neo-classic.

I know it's nowhere near monument status as of now, but you must admit that the prestige of this race is very impressive considering its age. Also I'm by far not the only person who makes the monument comparison. I'm not even the first one who made it in this thread.

I agree with yo - SB is definitely one of the elite classics - whether or not you want to call it a monument. History is one factor, but SB fulfills every other criteria. It's a unique course, with an extremely high quality field, many of whom are coming into top form. And, best of all, it's one of the rare chances to see some of the best cobbled riders up against some the best hilly classics riders - with both having chances (although I think it slightly suits the cobbled specialists more because of the time of the year).

Who cares if some inflexible bureaucratic fans want to deny the label 'monument' on some technicalities? The fact is it's easily one of the best races of the season and one that every top rider would love to win.

Oh yeah, I couldn't agree more. I mean, just look at the recent winners.. its the best and most versatile riders in the world going up against each other and its without a doubt the most entertaining and action-packed classic outside of Roubaix and Flanders IMO despite its length and relatively low status.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,802
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

24 Feb 2018 18:31

Valv.Piti wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:
Netserk wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:So, how long will we have to call this race a monument before it actually becomes one?

Easy, tiger. It's far from even Amstel level. So far, it's a neo-classic.

I know it's nowhere near monument status as of now, but you must admit that the prestige of this race is very impressive considering its age. Also I'm by far not the only person who makes the monument comparison. I'm not even the first one who made it in this thread.

I agree with yo - SB is definitely one of the elite classics - whether or not you want to call it a monument. History is one factor, but SB fulfills every other criteria. It's a unique course, with an extremely high quality field, many of whom are coming into top form. And, best of all, it's one of the rare chances to see some of the best cobbled riders up against some the best hilly classics riders - with both having chances (although I think it slightly suits the cobbled specialists more because of the time of the year).

Who cares if some inflexible bureaucratic fans want to deny the label 'monument' on some technicalities? The fact is it's easily one of the best races of the season and one that every top rider would love to win.

Oh yeah, I couldn't agree more. I mean, just look at the recent winners.. its the best and most versatile riders in the world going up against each other and its without a doubt the most entertaining and action-packed classic outside of Roubaix and Flanders IMO despite its length and relatively low status.

Definitely. Roubaix is on a different level to everything because of how consistently they offer epic races. And Flanders isnt too far behind. But, like you said, Strade is next for me as well. When you have team leaders as diverse as Sagan, GVA, Nibali, Dumoulin, Bardet, Valverde, Kwiatkowski, Vanmarcke, Stybar, Gilbert etc... all thinking they have a shot at winning it - and racing on an epic and incredibly photogenic course with loads of opportunities to attack, it's perfect.

Making the race 250km to placate the 'monument ideologues' would ruin it as well and be completely unnecessary. It's already a much tougher race than MSR for example.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,382
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

Re: 2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

24 Feb 2018 18:54

I just read Wellens will not ride this? That is incredibly disappointing after the show he caused there last year and considering his superb shape.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,872
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

24 Feb 2018 18:55

Kwiatek big favorite for SB with his form but Sagan even with Marlon on his back will smoke them all.
User avatar KGB
Member
 
Posts: 353
Joined: 16 Apr 2015 21:15

Re: 2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

24 Feb 2018 19:03

Gigs_98 wrote:I just read Wellens will not ride this? That is incredibly disappointing after the show he caused there last year and considering his superb shape.

There should be a special airline lane between Sienna and Paris.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,712
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

Re: 2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

24 Feb 2018 19:39

Alexandre B. wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:I just read Wellens will not ride this? That is incredibly disappointing after the show he caused there last year and considering his superb shape.

There should be a special airline lane between Sienna and Paris.


We won't see Wellens here or in Flanders anymore this spring season. It's a disgrace.
Max Rockatansky
Member
 
Posts: 1,113
Joined: 16 Jun 2015 11:59

Re:

24 Feb 2018 20:36

Netserk wrote:Depending on the temperature, Sagan will club everyone here.
Gigs_98 wrote:So, how long will we have to call this race a monument before it actually becomes one?

Easy, tiger. It's far from even Amstel level. So far, it's a neo-classic.

I get that cycling and most of the fans are conservative, but Strade Bianchi is the best race in calendar BY FAR. It has to be the monument already.
repre
Junior Member
 
Posts: 138
Joined: 31 Dec 2017 05:28
Location: Kiev, Ukraine

24 Feb 2018 21:26

If it already at this moment was so prestigious, why is a rider like Wellens, who have only ever attended once and finished on the podium, not going to participate again? Could you imagine that with Amstel? With Flèche?

No doubt that it is on the rise, and that it has already done extremely well for its young age, but never mind its distance, it's calender spot is quite inhibiting for its status. Which is fine for now, a premium spot has to be earned. I would be surprised if it were still to be under 200km and so early in the year in 15 years.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,997
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re: 2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

24 Feb 2018 21:37

Blanco wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:I am pretty sure that most of the riders would prefer to have his name on one of the section then win 5 times the AGR or FW or G-W.
Btw, that was an excellent marketing move from race organizers.
As I said, the present peloton is too strong for this routs. No selection possible before last hill.
Hopefully size of teams reduced to 6 will bring the excitement to these old classics again.
At this moment is SB much better race by miles.


I'm pretty sure they wouldn't.


Yes exactly. Strade is a much better race than FW every year, AGR almost every year and GW some years. It is not however as prestigious as any of them. Flèche in particular is almost always the victim of good race / prestigious race confusion here because it’s among the most predictable races on the whole calendar. The top puncheurs want to win it desperately. Quite a few of them might even take it over Lombardy.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,542
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re:

24 Feb 2018 22:16

Netserk wrote:If it already at this moment was so prestigious, why is a rider like Wellens, who have only ever attended once and finished on the podium, not going to participate again? Could you imagine that with Amstel? With Flèche?

No doubt that it is on the rise, and that it has already done extremely well for its young age, but never mind its distance, it's calender spot is quite inhibiting for its status. Which is fine for now, a premium spot has to be earned. I would be surprised if it were still to be under 200km and so early in the year in 15 years.

Silly argument. It can work both sides. If AGR is such a prestigious race why Sagan who w,as here on podium as neopro, did not want to ride it although having very high chance of winning it, if he had changed his racing schedule.
SB does not have a history, but has the best, the most balanced rout in whole calendar. The list of possible winers here is amazing. Sagan, Kwiatko, Valverde, Nibali, Gibert (former king of Cance). I can easily imagine even Froome , Dumoulin, winning it if they really make it it their target.
Monument is just word.
The race is good for cycling
Fans and that is what matters.
User avatar SKSemtex
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,148
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:01

Re: Re:

24 Feb 2018 22:21

SKSemtex wrote:
Netserk wrote:If it already at this moment was so prestigious, why is a rider like Wellens, who have only ever attended once and finished on the podium, not going to participate again? Could you imagine that with Amstel? With Flèche?

No doubt that it is on the rise, and that it has already done extremely well for its young age, but never mind its distance, it's calender spot is quite inhibiting for its status. Which is fine for now, a premium spot has to be earned. I would be surprised if it were still to be under 200km and so early in the year in 15 years.

Silly argument. It can work both sides. If AGR is such a prestigious race why Sagan who w,as here on podium as neopro, did not want to ride it although having very high chance of winning it, if he had changed his racing schedule.
SB does not have a history, but has the best, the most balanced rout in whole calendar. The list of possible winers here is amazing. Sagan, Kwiatko, Valverde, Nibali, Gibert (former king of Cance). I can easily imagine even Froome , Dumoulin, winning it if they really make it it their target.
Monument is just word.
The race is good for cycling
Fans and that is what matters.

He didn't get on the podium as neo-pro. He raced it also the year after. He only stopped when he also raced Roubaix.

Quite clearly, Amstel is less prestigious than Roubaix. Wellens skips Strade because it doesn't fit very well with Paris-Nice...
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,997
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

24 Feb 2018 22:31

SKSemtex wrote:
Netserk wrote:If it already at this moment was so prestigious, why is a rider like Wellens, who have only ever attended once and finished on the podium, not going to participate again? Could you imagine that with Amstel? With Flèche?

No doubt that it is on the rise, and that it has already done extremely well for its young age, but never mind its distance, it's calender spot is quite inhibiting for its status. Which is fine for now, a premium spot has to be earned. I would be surprised if it were still to be under 200km and so early in the year in 15 years.

Silly argument. It can work both sides. If AGR is such a prestigious race why Sagan who w,as here on podium as neopro, did not want to ride it although having very high chance of winning it, if he had changed his racing schedule.
SB does not have a history, but has the best, the most balanced rout in whole calendar. The list of possible winers here is amazing. Sagan, Kwiatko, Valverde, Nibali, Gibert (former king of Cance). I can easily imagine even Froome , Dumoulin, winning it if they really make it it their target.
Monument is just word.
The race is good for cycling
Fans and that is what matters.


I can't!
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,496
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

24 Feb 2018 22:47

Strade is gaining prestige but it will take a long time for it to become the "6th monument". I'd also rank it below Flèche, Amstel and G-W.

In now the reduced peloton of prestigious races among E3, Omloop, Paris-Tours, San Sebastian and Milano-Torino.
User avatar Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,631
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

Re: Re:

24 Feb 2018 23:08

Blanco wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:
Netserk wrote:If it already at this moment was so prestigious, why is a rider like Wellens, who have only ever attended once and finished on the podium, not going to participate again? Could you imagine that with Amstel? With Flèche?

No doubt that it is on the rise, and that it has already done extremely well for its young age, but never mind its distance, it's calender spot is quite inhibiting for its status. Which is fine for now, a premium spot has to be earned. I would be surprised if it were still to be under 200km and so early in the year in 15 years.

Silly argument. It can work both sides. If AGR is such a prestigious race why Sagan who w,as here on podium as neopro, did not want to ride it although having very high chance of winning it, if he had changed his racing schedule.
SB does not have a history, but has the best, the most balanced rout in whole calendar. The list of possible winers here is amazing. Sagan, Kwiatko, Valverde, Nibali, Gibert (former king of Cance). I can easily imagine even Froome , Dumoulin, winning it if they really make it it their target.
Monument is just word.
The race is good for cycling
Fans and that is what matters.


I can't!



Neither can I. Heck Froome and Dumoulin aren't even in consideration at Liege, they definitely wouldn't be at Strade Bianche.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,749
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

24 Feb 2018 23:11

Koronin wrote:
Blanco wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:
Netserk wrote:If it already at this moment was so prestigious, why is a rider like Wellens, who have only ever attended once and finished on the podium, not going to participate again? Could you imagine that with Amstel? With Flèche?

No doubt that it is on the rise, and that it has already done extremely well for its young age, but never mind its distance, it's calender spot is quite inhibiting for its status. Which is fine for now, a premium spot has to be earned. I would be surprised if it were still to be under 200km and so early in the year in 15 years.

Silly argument. It can work both sides. If AGR is such a prestigious race why Sagan who w,as here on podium as neopro, did not want to ride it although having very high chance of winning it, if he had changed his racing schedule.
SB does not have a history, but has the best, the most balanced rout in whole calendar. The list of possible winers here is amazing. Sagan, Kwiatko, Valverde, Nibali, Gibert (former king of Cance). I can easily imagine even Froome , Dumoulin, winning it if they really make it it their target.
Monument is just word.
The race is good for cycling
Fans and that is what matters.


I can't!



Neither can I. Heck Froome and Dumoulin aren't even in consideration at Liege, they definitely wouldn't be at Strade Bianche.

Tom Dumoulin finished 5th last year.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,712
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

Re: Re:

24 Feb 2018 23:31

Alexandre B. wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Blanco wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:
Netserk wrote:If it already at this moment was so prestigious, why is a rider like Wellens, who have only ever attended once and finished on the podium, not going to participate again? Could you imagine that with Amstel? With Flèche?

No doubt that it is on the rise, and that it has already done extremely well for its young age, but never mind its distance, it's calender spot is quite inhibiting for its status. Which is fine for now, a premium spot has to be earned. I would be surprised if it were still to be under 200km and so early in the year in 15 years.

Silly argument. It can work both sides. If AGR is such a prestigious race why Sagan who w,as here on podium as neopro, did not want to ride it although having very high chance of winning it, if he had changed his racing schedule.
SB does not have a history, but has the best, the most balanced rout in whole calendar. The list of possible winers here is amazing. Sagan, Kwiatko, Valverde, Nibali, Gibert (former king of Cance). I can easily imagine even Froome , Dumoulin, winning it if they really make it it their target.
Monument is just word.
The race is good for cycling
Fans and that is what matters.


I can't!



Neither can I. Heck Froome and Dumoulin aren't even in consideration at Liege, they definitely wouldn't be at Strade Bianche.

Tom Dumoulin finished 5th last year.


He's still not considered a favorite. Poels won it two years ago and isn't considered one of the favorites either. And as long as Valverde, Alaphilippe and Martin are there and in the mix at the end Dumoulin has a 0% chance of winning as he can't out sprint any of those three riders. He'd need something like the way Poels won in 2015 which included a very cold and snowy race.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,749
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

24 Feb 2018 23:50

Dumoulin finished 5th last year in Strade not LBL.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,687
Joined: 11 May 2013 10:59

Re:

25 Feb 2018 00:16

Rollthedice wrote:Dumoulin finished 5th last year in Strade not LBL.



Still unlikely he'd win because he doesn't have a sprint. To win these races you need a sprint.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,749
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

25 Feb 2018 07:50

Would hope either Greg or Valverde win.
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 885
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

25 Feb 2018 08:16

So far there was not bad year in terms of racing, but the fact that uphill finish in Sienna suits exactly the same guys who usually make a race could be a problem. Why bother with long huge efforts and then fight it out within small group of strongest when they could sit in peloton, have relatively easy day with one short effort and end results would not be much different. (fresh sagan would probably destroy everybody :)
PunchingRouleur
Junior Member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: 22 Dec 2013 18:19

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], HelloDolly, Koronin and 34 guests

Back to top