Register

2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

04 Mar 2018 11:33

El Pistolero wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:
Angliru wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:Valverde once again gets destroyed in a real classic where they don't wait for the final hill.

What a ludicrous statement. If he had won I'm fairly certain there would've been some ridiculous way to find fault.

Ludicrous yet always true. The guy's a wheelsucker that waits for the final uphill sprint in big races. That's a fact.

What's always true is that you will manipulate up some ridiculous story in the event of Valverde riding an offensive and entertaining race. And that is what makes you the single biggest troll with the absolute least amount of credibility on this forum. Of all members.

Name me one big race he won where he didn't wait for the final uphill sprint.

The guy's a wheelsucker in big races, stop defending this boring *** cyclist.

He wasn't sucking many wheels yesterday and the fact that he didn't win doesn't make him a wheelsucker. And comparing him directly with Cavendish is just provoking and you know it.

What about the Vuelta stage in 2015? Or San Sebastián 2014? Or LBL 2008?
User avatar tobydawq

Re: 2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

04 Mar 2018 12:48

Wasn't the vuelta stage he won in 2015 an uphill sprint
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re:

04 Mar 2018 12:50

jaylew wrote:So, who's poor performance was the most surprising? Gilbert's, GVA's, or Kwia's? All finished 10+ minutes back.

I picked Kwia to win so I would say him.
Durden93

04 Mar 2018 13:06

Durden93 wrote:
jaylew wrote:So, who's poor performance was the most surprising? Gilbert's, GVA's, or Kwia's? All finished 10+ minutes back.

I picked Kwia to win so I would say him.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think that Gilbert's performance is all that surprising/disappointing actually.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

04 Mar 2018 13:08

jaylew wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:This is how tired Van Aert was at the end:
https://twitter.com/kingstonwheeler/status/969968381028896768

Amazing. Almost looks drunk and on the verge of collapse.

Here's an even better view. Good shot of Bardet pulling away on the final climb too

http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/twitter/?title=Another+angle+of+the+battle+for+2nd+-+includes+crash+footage&dashboard=strade-bianche&id=LamiraudF/status/970001357242621953&yr=2018

E p i c
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re: 2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

04 Mar 2018 13:40

Gigs_98 wrote:Wasn't the vuelta stage he won in 2015 an uphill sprint

Ah, 2014 then. He paced the favorite group the whole climb for Quintana and then beat them anyway.
User avatar tobydawq

04 Mar 2018 14:33

tobydawq wrote:[quote="[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2229939#p2229939]

What about the Vuelta stage in 2015? Or San Sebastián 2014? Or LBL 2008?

Uphill sprint, final climb (although this is indeed his most impressive victory in a big race, in terms of how it was won) and sprint victory (Andy was by far the most aggressive cyclist there).
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

04 Mar 2018 15:00

Valverde is pretty aggressive in the smaller races, but he's definitely a wheelsucker in the big ones. A boring rider. Even Cav can be aggressive in races he doesn't care about.
User avatar Vroome.exe

04 Mar 2018 19:32

RedheadDane wrote:
rick james wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:Sagan is fine IMHO.
Had this been a different race it would have been different. The day that this one becomes a classic the dynamic of the race would change.
I understand this race is great and I love it, but it is not the same as when teams bring their best teammates and leaders in peak conditions.

that's a given

:lol: You don't say!

:D :D
I still need to work on my redaction!
But I guess you get the idea that teams and riders would approach it differently!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

06 Mar 2018 14:35

Was out skiing all weekend and just got to watching the race. Incredibly I didn't see a word about it, and got to enjoy it as if it were happening live. What a great race! Benoot was a beast, and watching him ride through that countryside covered in the grit of the Strade Bianche felt like a new version of Roubaix has arrived. Well almost.

Great, exciting race! The favorites sure got smoked by some young guns. Always fun to see.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

Re:

06 Mar 2018 18:52

red_flanders wrote:Was out skiing all weekend and just got to watching the race. Incredibly I didn't see a word about it, and got to enjoy it as if it were happening live. What a great race! Benoot was a beast, and watching him ride through that countryside covered in the grit of the Strade Bianche felt like a new version of Roubaix has arrived. Well almost.

Great, exciting race! The favorites sure got smoked by some young guns. Always fun to see.

That's amazing you managed to not see anything about it before watching it. Good on your part. There is one favorite who actually had a great excuse for why he didn't podium (although still finished 4th) but won't use it. Valverde had a nice travel debacle and didn't get to the team hotel until late Friday. Yes it was nice to see some young riders up there.
User avatar Koronin

07 Mar 2018 00:12

Koronin wrote:
red_flanders wrote:Was out skiing all weekend and just got to watching the race. Incredibly I didn't see a word about it, and got to enjoy it as if it were happening live. What a great race! Benoot was a beast, and watching him ride through that countryside covered in the grit of the Strade Bianche felt like a new version of Roubaix has arrived. Well almost.

That's amazing you managed to not see anything about it before watching it. Good on your part. There is one favorite who actually had a great excuse for why he didn't podium (although still finished 4th) but won't use it. Valverde had a nice travel debacle and didn't get to the team hotel until late Friday. Yes it was nice to see some young riders up there.

Relatively easy in the US, just stay off the web for a day. Easier when there are 5-6 feet of powder in the mountains... :D
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

07 Mar 2018 00:39

red_flanders wrote:
Koronin wrote:

Relatively easy in the US, just stay off the web for a day. Easier when there are 5-6 feet of powder in the mountains... :D

True, it's definitely easier over here. Big thing is stay off social media and cycling related sites.
User avatar Koronin

Previous

Return to Professional road racing