Log in:  

Register

Offical Wout Van Aert isn't a new Zdenek Stybar

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

28 Mar 2018 10:35

Bardamu wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
Bardamu wrote:No racing on the road after Roubaix? A shame.

No, I think he will participate in races like the Tour of Belgium, perhaps even Belgian national champs and maybe even BinckBanck Tour

Ah ok.

I took a look at the route of the BinckBanck tour. One would have hoped they made it more difficult to attract riders who are preparing for the Worlds.
Don't understand either why they don't always have atleast one mini AGR, one mini TdFlanders and one mini LBL. Add 2 sprint stages and a time trial and you have an interesting parcours.


Lol, what else do you suggest? There isn't any terrain to compare with the worlds. It's a hard mountainous course in Innsbruck. There aren't any mountains in the Netherlands, Belgium or Luxembourg. Mini agr/LBL/Flanders is the best of all worlds..
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,042
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re: Re:

28 Mar 2018 17:11

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
Bardamu wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
Bardamu wrote:No racing on the road after Roubaix? A shame.

No, I think he will participate in races like the Tour of Belgium, perhaps even Belgian national champs and maybe even BinckBanck Tour

Ah ok.

I took a look at the route of the BinckBanck tour. One would have hoped they made it more difficult to attract riders who are preparing for the Worlds.
Don't understand either why they don't always have atleast one mini AGR, one mini TdFlanders and one mini LBL. Add 2 sprint stages and a time trial and you have an interesting parcours.


Lol, what else do you suggest? There isn't any terrain to compare with the worlds. It's a hard mountainous course in Innsbruck. There aren't any mountains in the Netherlands, Belgium or Luxembourg. Mini agr/LBL/Flanders is the best of all worlds..
If they'd do three races in Wallone this year it would be better. The course this year sucks.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu
Member
 
Posts: 646
Joined: 13 Jul 2016 20:36
Location: Paris

28 Mar 2018 17:14

Why would that be better? So the puncheurs who have like 60/70% of all interesting classic courses and hilly stage races can win another one? (eg Valverde)

I like the diversity of the Benelux tour the last few years. Cobble riders, puncheurs, tt-ers and even some gt men mixed in the results.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,042
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

28 Mar 2018 17:16

The course in Dutch Limburg isn't hard at all and it has one day in Flanders. There is nothing for riders like Wellens.

As I said, I like the mix, but then they should make three small classic days. A small AGR, a small Flanders and a LBL race.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu
Member
 
Posts: 646
Joined: 13 Jul 2016 20:36
Location: Paris

28 Mar 2018 17:46

I like the BinckBanck Tour but instead of racing it in the autumn what about using it as an early warm-up to the classics? Sagan, GVA, Gilbert, Valverde, Benoot, Stybar, Terpstra, Kwiatkowski, Wellens, Moscon, potentially Nibali.. all in one race.

Stage 1: 250k costal stage with soft climbs (Mini Sanremo)
Stage 2: Mini Strade on Beneluxian dirt roads
Stage 3: Mini Amstel
Stage 4: Mini Ronde
Stage 5: Mini Liege
Stage 6: Mini Roubaix

No TT's or sprinter stages to spoil it. Let the best classics all-rounder win.
Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,362
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

Re:

28 Mar 2018 23:20

Velolover2 wrote:I like the BinckBanck Tour but instead of racing it in the autumn what about using it as an early warm-up to the classics? Sagan, GVA, Gilbert, Valverde, Benoot, Stybar, Terpstra, Kwiatkowski, Wellens, Moscon, potentially Nibali.. all in one race.

Stage 1: 250k costal stage with soft climbs (Mini Sanremo)
Stage 2: Mini Strade on Beneluxian dirt roads
Stage 3: Mini Amstel
Stage 4: Mini Ronde
Stage 5: Mini Liege
Stage 6: Mini Roubaix

No TT's or sprinter stages to spoil it. Let the best classics all-rounder win.


I like the idea, but you won't find any bigger climbs than De Wandelaar on the Benelux coast :D
Baptiste Planckaert Fan Club
BalearicBeats
Junior Member
 
Posts: 275
Joined: 01 Nov 2015 21:48

Re:

29 Mar 2018 00:26

Velolover2 wrote:I like the BinckBanck Tour but instead of racing it in the autumn what about using it as an early warm-up to the classics? Sagan, GVA, Gilbert, Valverde, Benoot, Stybar, Terpstra, Kwiatkowski, Wellens, Moscon, potentially Nibali.. all in one race.

Stage 1: 250k costal stage with soft climbs (Mini Sanremo)
Stage 2: Mini Strade on Beneluxian dirt roads
Stage 3: Mini Amstel
Stage 4: Mini Ronde
Stage 5: Mini Liege
Stage 6: Mini Roubaix

No TT's or sprinter stages to spoil it. Let the best classics all-rounder win.


There is no space on the calendar for that.
Besides that, the Benelux don't get to see many races during the summer months.
Breh
Member
 
Posts: 903
Joined: 24 Jun 2015 14:57

29 Mar 2018 10:15

It is still a great option for the BinkBanck Tour even if they keep the same spot on the calendar.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu
Member
 
Posts: 646
Joined: 13 Jul 2016 20:36
Location: Paris

Re:

29 Mar 2018 10:26

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Why would that be better? So the puncheurs who have like 60/70% of all interesting classic courses and hilly stage races can win another one? (eg Valverde)

I like the diversity of the Benelux tour the last few years. Cobble riders, puncheurs, tt-ers and even some gt men mixed in the results.


Have you looked at this years route? It's horrible. The diversity is gone when they don't include a mini L-B-L. A TT, some chances for sprinters and a Limburg & Flemish classics race that are proving not to be hard enough. Boring as hell. It's almost the same route as 2 years ago with the WC in Qatar but now there is no reason to do so.
User avatar Samamba
Member
 
Posts: 1,609
Joined: 10 May 2015 11:45

29 Mar 2018 10:48

Bahrain-Merida has been in talk with Wout Van Aert. He could earn € 1.000.000 per year with them.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,255
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

29 Mar 2018 11:59

Is there a buy-out clause in his contract?
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu
Member
 
Posts: 646
Joined: 13 Jul 2016 20:36
Location: Paris

29 Mar 2018 12:18

I know who I will be rooting for on Sunday now sinde Valverde isn't lining up - I still wouldn't complain about a Phil, Greg or even Naesen-victory, but is my pick!
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,577
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

01 Apr 2018 16:40

El Pistolero wrote:Bahrain-Merida has been in talk with Wout Van Aert. He could earn € 1.000.000 per year with them.

I hope he will go to Trek or AG2R or Cannondale for building up a strong team to against QS.
toolittle
Member
 
Posts: 302
Joined: 22 Mar 2011 20:01

Re: Re:

01 Apr 2018 17:32

toolittle wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:Bahrain-Merida has been in talk with Wout Van Aert. He could earn € 1.000.000 per year with them.

I hope he will go to Trek or AG2R or Cannondale for building up a strong team to against QS.


Gilbert is already 35, Terpstra 33 and Stybar 32. Lampaert is out of contract for next year. If QS does not sign a new star soon, they wont be a problem for long.
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,543
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

01 Apr 2018 17:38

Until last time Kwaremont and Paterberg he looked like one of the 3-5 strongest in the race. He struggled in the end but still impressive. Wonder how he'll do next week.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu
Member
 
Posts: 646
Joined: 13 Jul 2016 20:36
Location: Paris

01 Apr 2018 19:16

Wow. This rider is just too damn talented. Like in Strade Bianche, it was obvious he was spent after going really hard for hours, but thats to be expected. He handled the length extremely well. He just looks like a natural to me - I hope Lotto Soudal will sign him and pair him with Benoot to go up against QS for a true Belgian rivalry.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,577
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

01 Apr 2018 19:54

Valv.Piti wrote:Wow. This rider is just too damn talented. Like in Strade Bianche, it was obvious he was spent after going really hard for hours, but thats to be expected. He handled the length extremely well. He just looks like a natural to me - I hope Lotto Soudal will sign him and pair him with Benoot to go up against QS for a true Belgian rivalry.


LTS doesn't have the money to sign him.
Ridley wants to give a bit more but it won't be enough to offer something similar or even close to what teams as QS and Bahrain are gonna offer him.

But...
There is a possibility that LTS will invest in cyclocross. So if Van Aert wants to keep doing some cyclocrosses in the winter LTS will probably be the best option. LTS has also employed the personal masseur and trust person of Van Aert so that can be an advantage when they fight for his signature.
User avatar Samamba
Member
 
Posts: 1,609
Joined: 10 May 2015 11:45

Re: Re:

02 Apr 2018 03:12

Akuryo wrote:
toolittle wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:Bahrain-Merida has been in talk with Wout Van Aert. He could earn € 1.000.000 per year with them.

I hope he will go to Trek or AG2R or Cannondale for building up a strong team to against QS.


Gilbert is already 35, Terpstra 33 and Stybar 32. Lampaert is out of contract for next year. If QS does not sign a new star soon, they wont be a problem for long.

Well, Johan Museeuw -> Paolo Bettini -> Tom Boonen-> Gilbert, QS dynasty never die.
When Gilbert retires in 2 years, Terpstra still have 1 to 2 good years.
QS should manage to get a dominant young talent such as Tom or a collection of talents from the market.. Vanmarcke, Naesen, Benoot, etc are not high paid riders... They need a strong team as long as sagan is there.
toolittle
Member
 
Posts: 302
Joined: 22 Mar 2011 20:01

Re: Re:

04 Apr 2018 09:34

Akuryo wrote:
toolittle wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:Bahrain-Merida has been in talk with Wout Van Aert. He could earn € 1.000.000 per year with them.

I hope he will go to Trek or AG2R or Cannondale for building up a strong team to against QS.


Gilbert is already 35, Terpstra 33 and Stybar 32. Lampaert is out of contract for next year. If QS does not sign a new star soon, they wont be a problem for long.


Question is more how long Patrick Lefevere continues - he's 63. And if he still wants to invest time and effort into keeping QS at the highest level, or retires at a peak - like he advises his riders. As long as he's in charge, QS will be a dominant team in the classics.

As for Wout: he said in an interview that his would be his last week of racing before leaving on holiday for 3 weeks (doing a US west coast road trip). Although Tro Bro Leon has confirmed him as well :confused:
And he is getting married this summer, so unsure what other road races he's still going to do. Anyway, he has made his mark and we'll see next winter if he shifted focus even more to the spring classics :D
Valanga
New Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 12 Apr 2017 06:54

05 Apr 2018 11:38

I wonder what van Aert can do outside the cobbled races. As long as he combines cross with the road he can just do the Flemish races, but I hope he will try to become an all-round classics specialist who will go for the Ardennes as well.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu
Member
 
Posts: 646
Joined: 13 Jul 2016 20:36
Location: Paris

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rokopt and 29 guests

Back to top