Register

Offical Wout Van Aert isn't a new Zdenek Stybar

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

21 Jul 2018 07:38

According to HNB, Wout has a 3-year agreement with Lotto Jumbo starting in 2020. The team apparently has no real interest in cyclocross so I guess 18-19 will be his last full cx winter. Maybe, hopefully, he's allowed to do a minor program (5 or 6 races) that includes the Worlds though, like Stybar used to do after his transition.

Massive transfer. Now I surely hope Van der Poel does the same and drops the Tokio 2020 idea asap.
User avatar Flamin

21 Jul 2018 08:28

That is pretty major for LottoNL Jumbo.

I wonder if Patrick Lefevre retaliates and immediately signs Van der Poel starting after olympcis 2020 for 5 years :P
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

21 Jul 2018 08:39

Even when this story was rumoured a few weeks ago, it still seemed that he would go to one of the Belgian teams. So, it's quite surprising he's likely going to a Dutch team - but sad that they don't seem keen on him continuing in CX.

As for MvdP, how many teams could afford him? Not many...
Axel Hangleck

Re:

21 Jul 2018 08:46

Axel Hangleck wrote:Even when this story was rumoured a few weeks ago, it still seemed that he would go to one of the Belgian teams. So, it's quite surprising he's likely going to a Dutch team - but sad that they don't seem keen on him continuing in CX.

Which one? Afaik Lotto Soudal was off the table a long time ago and I don't think I've ever read anything about an offer from Quick Step.

I hope the latter signs MVDP.
User avatar Flamin

Re:

21 Jul 2018 09:31

Axel Hangleck wrote:Even when this story was rumoured a few weeks ago, it still seemed that he would go to one of the Belgian teams. So, it's quite surprising he's likely going to a Dutch team - but sad that they don't seem keen on him continuing in CX.

Jumbo wants to enter the Belgian market (now they are only active in The Netherlands I think), so signing Wout van Aert is a good and logical move in this sense, since he's one of Belgium's biggest prospects in cycling.
User avatar Popchu

Re:

21 Jul 2018 09:35

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:That is pretty major for LottoNL Jumbo.

I wonder if Patrick Lefevre retaliates and immediately signs Van der Poel starting after olympcis 2020 for 5 years :P

The two Poelprospects will make Quick Step a GT powerhouse!
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

Re:

28 Aug 2018 06:39

Flamin wrote:According to HNB, Wout has a 3-year agreement with Lotto Jumbo starting in 2020.

He has got to reach 2020 first.
Veranda's Willems wants to stop sponsoring ASAP, but the team still has contracts that run until the end of 2019.
Van Aert is one of the riders that is under contract with the Belgian formation until the end of 2019. In principle, the World Champion Cyclo-cross should ride another cross and road season with his current team and then leave for Lotto Jumbo. Without a new sponsor, however, no financial resources seem to be available to achieve this.
So, as Aqua Blue has fallen through, is a Veranda's Willems-Crelan merger with Roompot about to happen?
http://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/nieuws/algemeen-nieuws/186115/verandas-willems-crelan-hoopt-op-snelle-fusie-met-team-roompot
Tim Booth

28 Aug 2018 08:25

Remarkable tweet from Wout van Aert this morning (https://twitter.com/WoutvanAert/status/1034349096704851969) :

Communicatie is de essentie van een goede samenwerking. Iedereen valt uit de lucht en steeds ben ik degene die men aanspreekt zonder dat ik zelf van iets weet. Ze verwachten prestaties van mij, maar volgend jaar op deze manier? #sabbatjaar

Translation:
Communication is the essence of good collaboration. Everybody appears surprised (rough translation) and I am constantly the one who they are addressing, even though I don't know anything. They expect me to perform, but in this way next year? #sabbaticalyear
wouterkaas

28 Aug 2018 10:17

A bit of a mess - but we've been here before, and will so again. For a supposed professional sport - it's quite amateur a lot of the time. There doesn't seem to be the will to change how the sport is run/ financed.
Axel Hangleck

30 Aug 2018 08:37

So.. Van Aert now at Roompot-Verandas 2019 and then Lotto starting 2020.

Weird
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re: Offical Wout Van Aert isn't a new Zdenek Stybar

30 Aug 2018 09:37

Irondan wrote:
Announcement:
Cyclingnews Forums is an English Language discussion forum, please post all comments in english only. Any links attached to posts that are in a language other than english must have an accurate and complete translation of the pertinent subject matter, otherwise the comment runs the risk of deletion.

written back in 2016. pretty sure most people using this forum are aware of google translate.
if those links in a language other than english are accompanied an accurate and complete translation, then could the translation of that material infringe copyright rules (by the poster or by CN)?
I'm sure CN would not take kindly to any article they have written being translated and published elsewhere.
think I'll risk deletion and wait for CN to catch up with the news
Tim Booth

30 Aug 2018 09:44

Tim Booth wrote:Irondan wrote:
Announcement:
Cyclingnews Forums is an English Language discussion forum, please post all comments in english only. Any links attached to posts that are in a language other than english must have an accurate and complete translation of the pertinent subject matter, otherwise the comment runs the risk of deletion.

written back in 2016. pretty sure most people using this forum are aware of google translate.
if those links in a language other than english are accompanied an accurate and complete translation, then could the translation of that material infringe copyright rules (by the poster or by CN)?
I'm sure CN would not take kindly to any article they have written being translated and published elsewhere.
think I'll risk deletion and wait for CN to catch up with the news

You've missed a pretty important word right there...
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

30 Aug 2018 10:28

'the pertinent subject matter' is what CN, or any other site, would not take kindly to if any article they had written was translated and published elsewhere.
anyway, CN has (very quickly for them) caught up with the news....
Tim Booth

30 Aug 2018 11:03

In the event of a merger is Van Aert's contract still valid for next year? They will ride under which license? Roompot's or Veranda's?
User avatar Ricco'

Re:

30 Aug 2018 11:26

Ricco' wrote:In the event of a merger is Van Aert's contract still valid for next year? They will ride under which license? Roompot's or Veranda's?

Veranda's license. So technically it'll be a Belgian team, but they have stated they will "ride under the Dutch flag". I guess that means that the team staff will be mainly Dutch
wouterkaas

30 Aug 2018 15:58

Niels Albert is no longer the coach of Wout van Aert after a four-year partnership
http://www.hln.be/sport/wielrennen/veldrijden/niels-albert-stopt-als-coach-van-aert~a3c63879/
that is as much of the pertinent subject matter I am prepared to steal from the Het Laatste Nieuws site
Tim Booth

Re: Re:

30 Aug 2018 16:16

wouterkaas wrote:
Ricco' wrote:In the event of a merger is Van Aert's contract still valid for next year? They will ride under which license? Roompot's or Veranda's?

Veranda's license. So technically it'll be a Belgian team, but they have stated they will "ride under the Dutch flag". I guess that means that the team staff will be mainly Dutch

You can register an existing license in another country or does that automatically make all contracts invalid?
User avatar staubsauger

30 Aug 2018 18:39

Tim Booth wrote:Niels Albert is no longer the coach of Wout van Aert after a four-year partnership
http://www.hln.be/sport/wielrennen/veldrijden/niels-albert-stopt-als-coach-van-aert~a3c63879/
that is as much of the pertinent subject matter I am prepared to steal from the Het Laatste Nieuws site

I'll steal a bit more then: Albert quits due to personal (family) reasons and states he has nothing left to teach Van Aert.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

31 Aug 2018 08:31

He really wants to terminate his contract prematurely doesn't he. Probably realized that he could be much better-off elsewhere and now trying to make the most from the new team situation.
I somehow find it hard to believe this statement of his wife: "He's a wreck. They've mentally cracked him." Come on, an elite athlete used to perform under extreme pressure, wrecked by partial reshuffling of his team? He can be glad he is not an NHL hockey player where they can trade him to another side of the continent from day to day without telling him anything in advance.
PeterB

31 Aug 2018 10:40

But it's also true that in cycling you get a limited time that you can be competitive, 10-15 years, rarely more. So each year of lost opportunities is bad in the long run.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing