Register

Tiesj Benoot thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Tiesj Benoot thread

06 Mar 2018 14:43

Doesn't seem to be one, which surprised me after his amazing ride in the 2018 Strade Bianche. Incredible! Post-race comments here: http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/bet-looked-crazy-tv-tiesj-benoot-reflects-gruelling-victory-strade-bianche-371434

I actually don't know a ton about him other than he's placed well at Flanders. Doensn't seem to have much of a sprint? Seems like he has to be alone to win?

Wondering what others know about him.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

Re: Tiesj Benoot thread

06 Mar 2018 23:48

In the Strade pre-race discussion, I posted this...

Strade: Kwiat is the favorite...period. GVA and Sagan going at it, both are serious customers, that will be interesting. I'd like Bardet to do well. Vincenzo...that feather on his hat would shine. He can do anything. He's the dark horse IMO. Benoot did well last year: can he finally win something?

He did it. With that monkey off his back, I really think that he can win a bunch, quickly. He should be done second-guessing himself and/or wonder what bad can happen. Or have the "here we go again" thoughts.

Super talented rider. As I stated in the Mos-con thread, I'd rather have him in my team than the punk. Now he delivers, and it's just the beginning I believe.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

07 Mar 2018 00:05

Tonton wrote:In the Strade pre-race discussion, I posted this...

Strade: Kwiat is the favorite...period. GVA and Sagan going at it, both are serious customers, that will be interesting. I'd like Bardet to do well. Vincenzo...that feather on his hat would shine. He can do anything. He's the dark horse IMO. Benoot did well last year: can he finally win something?

He did it. With that monkey off his back, I really think that he can win a bunch, quickly. He should be done second-guessing himself and/or wonder what bad can happen. Or have the "here we go again" thoughts.

Super talented rider. As I stated in the Mos-con thread, I'd rather have him in my team than the punk. Now he delivers, and it's just the beginning I believe.

Nice call. Hope that's the case. I'd like to see a whole lot more of what he delivered on Saturday!
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

07 Mar 2018 00:21

Short, he's smart and really talented.

He lacks a good sprint, but it's not like he's really slow either. In his neo-pro year he was 3rd in a bunch sprint once (Handzame Classic if I remember correctly). The problem is that all classic riders have a good sprint nowadays, so in a group sprint there will always be someone faster. Hence why I think he'll never be someone who wins a lot. But when he wins, it will be a big one (like Strade Bianche).

In Belgium there is a debate about what type of rider he is and what type of races he should be focusing on in the future. He's the kind of rider that can do well in literally every classic there is and he also proved that he can climb pretty well for a 23y old. Contrary to popular belief I think he'll be better in the Ardennes classics and San Sebastian, Lombardia, ... than in the cobbles classics. Because of that 5th place in Flanders when he was 20 years old a lot of people in Belgium thought he was the next Tom Boonen. I've never believed that taking into account his results in the u23 category where he was impressive in races as Tour de l'Isard. I don't think he'll ever be one of the best riders on cobbles, but I do think he can be world class in the more hilly classics. Which doesn't mean that I don't think he can win Flanders, he can. Roubaix though... I don't think so. That 5th place made him choose the Flemish races over the Ardennes in his first two years. Last year he finally did Amstel and I'm convinced he was one of the best that day. Without bad luck he would've been in that first group. I'm very excited that he's also doing Liège this year.

Oh, he's also a real "flandrien". Just like Wellens, he loves wind and rain. He doesn't have a problem performing in the heat though.
User avatar Samamba

07 Mar 2018 02:25

Don't see any reason he can't contest in most of the classics. Can climb good hills, has technical ability and guts. Only 23. I see many wins in his future.
Son of Amsterhammer

07 Mar 2018 02:34

Great performance in Strade.

Also came to add a post. With a performance like that I thought there would be more kudos to him.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

08 Mar 2018 17:15

Samamba wrote:Short, he's smart and really talented.

He lacks a good sprint, but it's not like he's really slow either. In his neo-pro year he was 3rd in a bunch sprint once (Handzame Classic if I remember correctly). The problem is that all classic riders have a good sprint nowadays, so in a group sprint there will always be someone faster. Hence why I think he'll never be someone who wins a lot. But when he wins, it will be a big one (like Strade Bianche).

In Belgium there is a debate about what type of rider he is and what type of races he should be focusing on in the future. He's the kind of rider that can do well in literally every classic there is and he also proved that he can climb pretty well for a 23y old. Contrary to popular belief I think he'll be better in the Ardennes classics and San Sebastian, Lombardia, ... than in the cobbles classics. Because of that 5th place in Flanders when he was 20 years old a lot of people in Belgium thought he was the next Tom Boonen. I've never believed that taking into account his results in the u23 category where he was impressive in races as Tour de l'Isard. I don't think he'll ever be one of the best riders on cobbles, but I do think he can be world class in the more hilly classics. Which doesn't mean that I don't think he can win Flanders, he can. Roubaix though... I don't think so. That 5th place made him choose the Flemish races over the Ardennes in his first two years. Last year he finally did Amstel and I'm convinced he was one of the best that day. Without bad luck he would've been in that first group. I'm very excited that he's also doing Liège this year.

Oh, he's also a real "flandrien". Just like Wellens, he loves wind and rain. He doesn't have a problem performing in the heat though.

Thanks, this is great. Exactly the kind of info/background I was looking for!

Escarabajo wrote:Great performance in Strade.

Also came to add a post. With a performance like that I thought there would be more kudos to him.

Same, I thought that was one of the most gritty and beautiful classic wins I've seen in years. Great to see a new talent emerge, especially a Flemish talent. :)
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

08 Mar 2018 18:02

One of my favorite riders.
My feeling is that he lacks a bit of tactical nous but he's improving over time.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

09 Mar 2018 11:19

I would honestly rather win 1 time like Tiesj than 30 times like Kittel or Cav. Chapeau, what an amazing ride - interesting to see what him and Wellens can do in the Ardennes. Those two can potentially be deadly in the right race at the right moment, but it needs to be hard!
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

09 Mar 2018 12:49

Valv.Piti wrote:I would honestly rather win 1 time like Tiesj than 30 times like Kittel or Cav. Chapeau, what an amazing ride - interesting to see what him and Wellens can do in the Ardennes. Those two can potentially be deadly in the right race at the right moment, but it needs to be hard!

Depends on what the 30 wins are honestly.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

09 Mar 2018 13:43

Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:I would honestly rather win 1 time like Tiesj than 30 times like Kittel or Cav. Chapeau, what an amazing ride - interesting to see what him and Wellens can do in the Ardennes. Those two can potentially be deadly in the right race at the right moment, but it needs to be hard!

Depends on what the 30 wins are honestly.

Obviously, if we are talking GT stages and Worlds, but a lot of their victories are very forgettable (even the biggest ones).
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

09 Mar 2018 17:11

Not bad today in T-A
del1962
Veteran

09 Mar 2018 18:47

Very, very good... He'll be a force in hilly classics.
User avatar Blanco

Re:

09 Mar 2018 19:45

Blanco wrote:Very, very good... He'll be a force in hilly classics.

I do wonder if perhaps he has peaked a bit too early. Guys like Sagan and GVA will be hitting their peaks in a couple of weeks presumably... Then again, he already won Strade Bianche which isn't too bad for a 23 year old.
frisenfruitig

10 Mar 2018 16:23

6th and la maglia bianca today. Impressive for someone who's heavier than the other guys in the top-10.
I had high expectations for this Tirreno and he definitely met them.
He was a bit conservative though yesterday and today. I think he could've even done better if he fully went for it a bit earlier.
User avatar Samamba

Re:

10 Mar 2018 22:26

Samamba wrote:Short, he's smart and really talented.

Nearly three years ago, i compared him to Claude Criquielion in a discussion with my brother. I might not have been too far off back then. He's not a true climber, but he doesn't mess around either. He 's tough as nails, he can do 3 weeks, he can do classics, hilly, cobbles...
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

13 Mar 2018 15:21

4th in GC in Tirreno... I expected him to top-10 this, but 4th after a pretty bad TTT... Damn, didn't see that one coming. Impressive.
User avatar Samamba

13 Mar 2018 15:24

Really screwed over by that TTT. Strong performance nonetheless.

That will be fun to watch the ardennes classics with wellens and benoot. Hope they can prevent another boring Valverde sprint win on FW/LBL
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

13 Mar 2018 15:37

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Really screwed over by that TTT. Strong performance nonetheless.

In the end, the TTT didn't matter that much for Benoot. He would've been second, but only because Yates and Thomas had some bad luck.

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:That will be fun to watch the ardennes classics with wellens and benoot. Hope they can prevent another boring Valverde sprint win on FW/LBL

Don't think Benoot is riding FW.
I think his programma is E3, Dwars door Vlaanderen, RVV, Amstel, Liège, Dauphiné, NC, Tour.
User avatar Samamba

Re: Re:

13 Mar 2018 17:40

Samamba wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Really screwed over by that TTT. Strong performance nonetheless.

In the end, the TTT didn't matter that much for Benoot. He would've been second, but only because Yates and Thomas had some bad luck.

Second would have been fantastic. Seems to be on some tremendous form right now, wonder if he's come on too early for some of the later classics.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

Next

Return to Professional road racing