Register

2018 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: 2018 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis

28 Apr 2018 16:22

STAGE 20: Susa – Cervinia 214

May 26th

Technical Overview:
Probably the queen stage. I say “probably” because the initial flat 130 km don't look fit for a classic queen stage, admittedly. If this had a decent climb at the beginning no one would doubt its royalty. In any case, the rest of the stage is great, and as a design it's only surpassed by the Sappada stage, which does not qualify as queen stage because of its lack of top category climbs. So let's get to it. We start in Susa, at the foot of the Colle delle Finestre and head north-east all the way to the Aosta valley. After 130 km more or less flat, the peloton will hit a combo of 3 major climbs with little to no rest in between. The first one is new to the Giro but not to cycling fans, as it is pretty famous. Col Tsecore (GPM1, 16 km at 7.7%), also known as Zuccore, is a climb I always wanted to see in the Giro. It features 3 km at 11.4% near the top that would be perfect for an attack, if they weren't at 70 km to go... But even so, the climb should do a lot of damage. The descent will bring the riders down to the town of St.Vincent, and after 7 km of valley they will start the second climb, Col St.Pantaleon (GPM1, 16.5 at 7.2%), much more regular than the Tsecore, being always between 7-8% besides a couple of short respites. Here we follow the same route as the 1997 and 2015 Giros. After the descent, the last climb of this edition is the road to Cervinia (GPM1, 18.2 km at 5.3%), the town at the foot of Monte Cervino (aka Matterhorn), which is quite an irregular climb, never too hard and with many false flat sections. This fits the golden rule of (good) stage design: first a hard climb, then an easy one. Here we have three climbs in the right order, so if anyone needs time and has some energy left, there's plenty of room to do whatever needed. Especially considering this is the last chance for everyone.

Final km

The Climbs:
Col Tsecore (GPM1, 16 km at 7.7%)
Never used before in the Giro, this climbstarts with 11 km always between 5-8%, before ramping up for a section of 3 km at 11.4% and finally closing with 2 km at 8.1%. A very tough climb.

Col de St.Pantaleon (GPM1, 16.5 at 7.2%)
Without having super-steep ramps, this is a very consistent climb, with just two short false flat section dividing 3 long sections always around 7-9%. Mostly famous for deciding the Giro 1997. Can it also decide the Giro 2018?

Cervinia (GPM1, 18.2 km at 5.3%)
An irregular climb that alternates good ramps with many false flat sections. Ridden last time in 2015, and before that in 2012. I guess next time in 2021...

What to Expect:
The final GC showdown, if it did not happen yesterday (or even before). A team effort would be probably easier, but even a solo attack can work here.

Monte Cervino
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

28 Apr 2018 16:22

STAGE 21: Roma – Roma 115 km

May 27th

Technical Overview:
Final parade in Rome. The shortest stage of the race, 10 laps over a 11.5 km flat circuit. At least the scenery should be pretty. And then the celebrations will begin.

Final km

What to Expect:
The colosseum, glasses of Spumante, a bunch sprint and finally the trophy.

Roma
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

28 Apr 2018 16:26

Thread open! :cool:

As always, I'm open to feedback. Bad pictures, formatting, grammar... I didn't read this twice :o

...and of course, enjoy the Giro!

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

28 Apr 2018 16:33

Always look forward to this thread and it never disappoints, well done Eshnar!
User avatar Pricey_sky

28 Apr 2018 17:49

Always one of the best threads of the year (It's usually between this one and the Giro route rumours thread).
I'm already looking forward to the Giro, I'll probably watch stage 15 on the Passo di San Antonio.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

28 Apr 2018 18:02

Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

28 Apr 2018 18:12

2 things that disappoint me

Obvious missed opportunity is obvious for a lowest ever stage finish at the Dead Sea.

They go through a kms long tunnel at the start of the climb to Molina di Ledro while there's a way more scenic gravel road in that direction (totally unrealistic, but still)
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

28 Apr 2018 18:46

Thankyou for this work. I've not paid any attention yet to the Giro but reading this thread has got me excited.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

28 Apr 2018 19:38

Gotta say I'm positively surprised by the stages to Etna (better profile than I thought, steephill has a different profile), Osimo (MAL will hate it) and Sappada (would kill for Duran/Staulanza/Giau before Tre Coci one day). I just hate the overall emphasis on MTFs and lack of medium mountain stages.

Agree that the Jafferau stage is a huge gamble. I don't think it will work. But the first hour should be crazy in that stage.
For the Cervinia stage, I suppose Colle del Lys would be the obvious choice to climb in the first part of the stage.

My biggest hate goes to Pratonevoso. That part of Italy is criminally underused and we get that?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

28 Apr 2018 19:41

Eshnar wrote:STAGE 1: West Jerusalem ITT 9.7 km

Technical Overview:
For the first time in history the Giro starts outside of Europe. The first stage is a short ITT in West Jerusalem and it's an interesting one, quite technical and with some gradients (although the profile is inflated, you can find some 4-5% here and there). All in all is quite a nice prologue, where maybe some significant gaps can be made.

Final km

What to Expect:
It's just a prologue, but it's not that easy, so GC guys will need to be serious about it. Pure climbers might lose quite some time already.

Jerusalem

La pulce di policoro will not lose anytime...what the hell is wrong with you? why do you have to say that? ..for sure he will have bad luck now. :razz: :eek: :D
I was him
User avatar Zama_Olyas

28 Apr 2018 20:01

@Eshnar
How long did it take you to prepare these 23 posts? :confused:
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re:

28 Apr 2018 20:08

Red Rick wrote:My biggest hate goes to Pratonevoso. That part of Italy is criminally underused and we get that?

Yeah, it is sad indeed.

Zama_Olyas wrote:La pulce di policoro will not lose anytime...what the hell is wrong with you? why do you have to say that? ..for sure he will have bad luck now. :razz: :eek: :D

:D

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:@Eshnar
How long did it take you to prepare these 23 posts? :confused:

Around 10-14 days. It usually takes me a couple weeks every year.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

28 Apr 2018 20:17

If i could make only one change I'd remove the Etna stage and add another proper medium mountain stage.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

Re:

28 Apr 2018 20:20

Mayomaniac wrote:If i could make only one change I'd remove the Etna stage and add another proper medium mountain stage.

I actually like the Etna-stage, Montevergine however...
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

28 Apr 2018 20:26

Mayomaniac wrote:If i could make only one change I'd remove the Etna stage and add another proper medium mountain stage.

I'd replace Montevergine by decent medium mountain stage. What's up with that stage anyway with that avalanche or whatever happened?

Same for the stage to Lago d'Iseo

Pratonevoso I just want to replace with Fauniera-Madonna del Colletto
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

28 Apr 2018 20:29

Thanks so much for the thread/info! :)

What's the chances of a sandstorm on stage 3? Could mess things up.

Edit - looking at the 10 day forecast it's going to be hot - over 30C.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

28 Apr 2018 21:29

Thanks Eshnar! As usual one of the best threads of the year and a great appetizer for the Giro.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

28 Apr 2018 22:03

I wonder what would happen if we got the Libertine version of this thread for the Tour.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

28 Apr 2018 22:18

I don't care about the rest of the route, I'm just so happy the beautiful Tze Core is in the route for once
User avatar GuyIncognito

28 Apr 2018 23:12

Thnaks so much for all the hard work ...my go to thread for 3 weeks
HelloDolly

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing