Register

2018 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: 2018 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis

28 Apr 2018 23:32

The release of Eshnar's annual Giro Opus is one of my favourite things to look forward to each year (I'm not even kidding).

I will look forward to digesting it slowly.

Thanks so much.
The Barb

29 Apr 2018 00:34

Great work again.
User avatar Poursuivant

29 Apr 2018 01:20

Thank you.
"Winning is about heart, not just legs. It's got to be in the right place."
User avatar Sciocco

29 Apr 2018 04:16

Not all of the stages have detailed finishes, but aside from 10, it looks like the route avoids many of the tight, technical, corner-y sprint finishes that have become almost typical at the Giro? While I always liked them as a spectator, I think this is a good move.
More Strides than Rides

29 Apr 2018 06:37

Best thread around, as usual. Thanks Eshnar for the huge work. Gonna be a good guide like the two previous editions for me!
Krokro

29 Apr 2018 07:42

I am very unhappy that stages such as the one to Oropa last year and these to Montevergine and Prato Nevoso this year are becoming more and more frequent in the Giro. On the other hand, maybe we will see good action on Etna if there is no headwind. I also agree that Zoncolan is perfectly placed this time. The stages to Sappada and Cervinia should provide entertainment. Don't know what to expect from stage 19... could be extermely boring, but if Finestre is used well by some of the favourites and they have strong teammates ahead it could become a stage for the ages. Can't wait for the battle to start.
User avatar Ivan_Basso_77

Re:

29 Apr 2018 09:27

More Strides than Rides wrote:Not all of the stages have detailed finishes, but aside from 10, it looks like the route avoids many of the tight, technical, corner-y sprint finishes that have become almost typical at the Giro? While I always liked them as a spectator, I think this is a good move.

yeah, where I thought the detailed planimetry was useless, I skipped it. I think here it's more due to the fact that there are not many sprint stages altogether, so the planimetry isn't that useful.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re: 2018 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis

29 Apr 2018 13:38

Such great work again! Thanks Eshnar.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

29 Apr 2018 13:42

Bravo sir!!!
Son of Amsterhammer

Re: Re:

29 Apr 2018 15:35

Eshnar wrote:
Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:@Eshnar
How long did it take you to prepare these 23 posts? :confused:

Around 10-14 days. It usually takes me a couple weeks every year.

WOW just WOW!

The best race of the year deserves the best opening post of the year, and you have, once again, DELIVERED!

Big kudos to you!
User avatar Jancouver

Re:

29 Apr 2018 16:10

Ivan_Basso_77 wrote:I am very unhappy that stages such as the one to Oropa last year and these to Montevergine and Prato Nevoso this year are becoming more and more frequent in the Giro. On the other hand, maybe we will see good action on Etna if there is no headwind. I also agree that Zoncolan is perfectly placed this time. The stages to Sappada and Cervinia should provide entertainment. Don't know what to expect from stage 19... could be extermely boring, but if Finestre is used well by some of the favourites and they have strong teammates ahead it could become a stage for the ages. Can't wait for the battle to start.

Pretty much this regarding the route.

Red Rick wrote:I wonder what would happen if we got the Libertine version of this thread for the Tour.

Im for everything LS is in, but this sounds very fun.

Good write-ups Eshnar. I wouldn't lie, I digested it all within 20-25 min.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

29 Apr 2018 18:31

So many uphill finishes though. One-mtf Froome built
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

29 Apr 2018 18:39

Eshnar manages to put a lot of lipstick on this piggy. Well done to him, but this route is essentially a Vuelta uphill circus plus 25% on all metrics.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

Re: Re:

30 Apr 2018 03:33

Valv.Piti wrote:
Ivan_Basso_77 wrote:I am very unhappy that stages such as the one to Oropa last year and these to Montevergine and Prato Nevoso this year are becoming more and more frequent in the Giro. On the other hand, maybe we will see good action on Etna if there is no headwind. I also agree that Zoncolan is perfectly placed this time. The stages to Sappada and Cervinia should provide entertainment. Don't know what to expect from stage 19... could be extermely boring, but if Finestre is used well by some of the favourites and they have strong teammates ahead it could become a stage for the ages. Can't wait for the battle to start.

Pretty much this regarding the route.

Red Rick wrote:I wonder what would happen if we got the Libertine version of this thread for the Tour.

Im for everything LS is in, but this sounds very fun.

Good write-ups Eshnar. I wouldn't lie, I digested it all within 20-25 min.

Epic work Eshnar! Always amazed at how you get the info for all the non classified climbs.

Yes, anything that LS writes up will be great, but I don't think that anything can ever beat his sarcastic stage by stage reviews on some post GT's. And Cancellara isn't racing no more either. But then again, we shall always be blessed with the Tourmalet, and pancake flat stages :D
User avatar gregrowlerson

Re:

30 Apr 2018 04:02

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:@Eshnar
How long did it take you to prepare these 23 posts? :confused:

:eek:

Respect! And: thankyou!
User avatar The Hegelian

30 Apr 2018 11:39

I would love to see Tuft take the opening TT but I doubt that’ll happen. Hopefully we grt some gaps.
Durden93

30 Apr 2018 12:13

thanks Eshnar, looking forward to the race even more
User avatar Lexman

30 Apr 2018 13:52

Without a doubt always the thread of the year. Great work as ever Eshnar. Excited for the Giro now.
adamski101

Re:

30 Apr 2018 16:06

Ivan_Basso_77 wrote:I am very unhappy that stages such as the one to Oropa last year and these to Montevergine and Prato Nevoso this year are becoming more and more frequent in the Giro. On the other hand, maybe we will see good action on Etna if there is no headwind.

Definitely. 3-4 stages like this is too much. 2 single-climb stages should be an absolute maximum. Etna and Grad Sasso would be more than sufficient MTFs together with Cervinia, Jaffrau and Zoncolan. The other two should have been replaced with tough medium mountain stages in the Apennines. If there is one thing I miss in the Giro the last few years (save for another sterrato stage), is better use of the hlliy/medium mountain terrain in the Apennines. This is definitely underused.

Ivan_Basso_77 wrote:I also agree that Zoncolan is perfectly placed this time. The stages to Sappada and Cervinia should provide entertainment. Don't know what to expect from stage 19... could be extermely boring, but if Finestre is used well by some of the favourites and they have strong teammates ahead it could become a stage for the ages. Can't wait for the battle to start.

Sappada is by far the best designed stage in the Giro this year. Cervinia could also be very good if the GC before that stage encourage attacks, i.e. Dumoulin leads Aru by 1 minute or something like that. Jaffrau could really go either way. If the pace at Finestre is high enough, we could see an entertaining stage, but there could also be a waiting game for the last few kms at Jaffrau.
OlavEH

30 Apr 2018 18:48

A belated many thanks Esh, I will be dipping in daily once the race starts:)
User avatar ferryman

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing