Register

The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

10 Sep 2018 16:54

spalco wrote:
Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Still can see him losing the worlds if there's 2/3 good enough to suck the wheel and forcing him to do all the work

Sure, the way he rides, that's perfectly possible. I've seen all the recaps of Giro della Lunigiana, and he keeps doing all the work, even when it's up to the other guys. Vacek was strong enough to wheelsuck his way to the final 1k and attack him in the 4th stage (i think). Could easily see something like that happen again. He'll learn sooner or later.

Is he doing that stuff because he's an idiot or because he's deliberately trying to make the races as hard for himself as possible? He already has his pro contract and nothing left to prove in the Junior's. I think the second option is more likely.

I think it might be hubris. The way he reacts when stuff like that happens, makes it clear that he doesn't appreciate it when they take advantage of him (apparently he was pissed at Vacek, and also the Eritrean rider last month who beat him in the sprint after wheelsucking Evenepoel to the finishline).

I don't think he's an idiot, he just isn't familiar with cycling but for the past 16 months.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

10 Sep 2018 18:21

spalco wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Still can see him losing the worlds if there's 2/3 good enough to suck the wheel and forcing him to do all the work

Sure, the way he rides, that's perfectly possible. I've seen all the recaps of Giro della Lunigiana, and he keeps doing all the work, even when it's up to the other guys. Vacek was strong enough to wheelsuck his way to the final 1k and attack him in the 4th stage (i think). Could easily see something like that happen again. He'll learn sooner or later.

Is he doing that stuff because he's an idiot or because he's deliberately trying to make the races as hard for himself as possible? He already has his pro contract and nothing left to prove in the Junior's. I think the second option is more likely.

The best thing he could do for his development in the junior's at this point is probably manouvering up and down the peloton constantly bringing bottles to his teammates. :D

I'm still very worried about his pack riding skills, and I think that could be a major handicap during his first years as an U23/pro.
User avatar Squire

10 Sep 2018 18:25

Squire wrote:
spalco wrote:

The best thing he could do for his development in the junior's at this point is probably manouvering up and down the peloton constantly bringing bottles to his teammates. :D

I'm still very worried about his pack riding skills, and I think that could be a major handicap during his first years as an U23/pro.

Wax on, wax off.

15 Sep 2018 09:08

Starting in Trofeo Buffoni with Acrog tomorrow, so no national teams this time around. To some extend the finale of the race is comparable to Innsbruck, so we could get a sneak peak of what's to come. Apart from Remco, there are some other big names at the start: Balmer, Pagé, Pattyn, Van Wilder, Martinelli, Piccolo, Rubino, Parisini, Petrucci, Frigo, Vacek, Tiberi, Lev Gonov.

User avatar DNP-Old

15 Sep 2018 10:36

Very long race for junior standards (135k). Isn't it the profile that makes those hills look tougher than they actually are?

Only 9 days away from the Worlds ITT so this race is probably coming at the end of a hard training block.
User avatar Flamin

Re:

15 Sep 2018 21:32

Flamin wrote:Very long race for junior standards (135k). Isn't it the profile that makes those hills look tougher than they actually are?

Only 9 days away from the Worlds ITT so this race is probably coming at the end of a hard training block.

It's about the same length as the WC IIRC, i think it's 132km for juniors.

Re:

16 Sep 2018 14:30

Flamin wrote:Very long race for junior standards (135k). Isn't it the profile that makes those hills look tougher than they actually are?

User avatar DNP-Old

16 Sep 2018 15:19

He isn't in the lead group. It's between Balmer, Hollyman, Rubino, Petrucci, Benedetti, Frigo and Zambanini with 2ish kilometers to go.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

16 Sep 2018 15:25

DNP-Old wrote:He isn't in the lead group. It's between Balmer, Hollyman, Rubino, Petrucci, Benedetti, Frigo and Zambanini with 2ish kilometers to go.

Remco is human :surprised:
janraaskalt

16 Sep 2018 16:58

janraaskalt wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:He isn't in the lead group. It's between Balmer, Hollyman, Rubino, Petrucci, Benedetti, Frigo and Zambanini with 2ish kilometers to go.

That’s probably because he wasn’t in the race...
Naico

16 Sep 2018 17:12

Did he even race? His name isn't on the results list from procyclingstats.
User avatar Flamin

Re:

16 Sep 2018 17:26

Flamin wrote:Did he even race? His name isn't on the results list from procyclingstats.

I couldn't find him nor Van Wilder or Vacek either. Which is weird, since they are all on the start list.
User avatar DNP-Old

16 Sep 2018 17:43

DNP-Old wrote:
Flamin wrote:Did he even race? His name isn't on the results list from procyclingstats.

I couldn't find him nor Van Wilder or Vacek either. Which is weird, since they are all on the start list.

Yeah indeed, saw the start list as well. Van Wilder raced Keizer der Juniores today, so that list is definitely way off.
User avatar Flamin

16 Sep 2018 23:01

janraaskalt wrote:

He didn't start there. Instead he rode the Grand Prix Morlighem... which he... won, with... 10 minutes advance. :o

Maybe not human after all.

PS: lol... https://twitter.com/EvenepoelRemco/status/1041269468486422528
Last edited by Logic-is-your-friend on 17 Sep 2018 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

16 Sep 2018 23:07

DNP-Old wrote:

Vacek raced in Austria, he won the Junior race of the GP Judendorf (102km of a hilly terrain)

1. Karel Vacek CZE Team Giorgi A.S.D 2:36:24
2. Marius Mayrhofer GER Sélection allemande + 0"
3. Marco Viero ITA G.S. Work Service Brenta +2'05"
4. Felix Engelhardt GER Team Auto Eder Bayern +2'10"
5. Leslie Lührs GER Team Auto Eder Bayern +3'47"
6. Kim Alexander Heiduk GER Sélection allemande "
7. Albert Gathemann GER Paul Voss Development Team "
8. Pirmin Benz GER Sélection allemande +3'50"
9. Davide Mattiello ITA G.S. Work Service Brenta +4'34"
10. Nicola Garbin ITA G.S. Work Service Brenta +4'46"
Beobachter

17 Sep 2018 07:36

The battle Evenepoel vs. Vacek is nicely shaping up these last weeks before the wc.
rghysens

22 Sep 2018 22:08

ITT recon in Innsbruck

24 Sep 2018 14:19

Today is the TT?
User avatar lartiste

Re:

24 Sep 2018 14:21

lartiste wrote:Today is the TT?

for the U23, not the juniors. Juniors tomorrow.
rghysens

24 Sep 2018 14:31

OK, thank you!
User avatar lartiste

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing