Register

The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

18 Jun 2018 14:04

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Not another one… you could field and entire team consisting solely of Planckaerts.

Sure, if you want a team consisting of guys ranging from 70 to 14 or something.

Well, we got Baptiste (29), Edward (23), Emiel (21), and Jens (not sure exactly, but I'm assuming he's a U19 rider).
Then we just need to get Francesco (36) out of retirement.
Would still have quite an age difference from oldest to youngest, but nobody in the crazy-old or crazy-young age. :p
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

18 Jun 2018 14:08

@Flamin: there were more, I'm certain of it, but most of them I forgot already. De Plus is there or thereabouts. Did Stef Cras turn pro already? Think so?
And Lambrecht won a puncheur stage, but so far nothing amazing in high mountains, although, like I said, I'm not judging him yet because he is really young and has plenty of time. Even De Plus has plenty of time, heck even Vervaeke still has plenty of time. Maybe I'm impatient or I'm just too used to U23 riders turning results instantly in this day and age with people like Latour, Oomen, Gaudu and Bernal riding results pretty much instantly.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

18 Jun 2018 14:55

Flamin wrote:Who do you mean besides Vervaeke? Lambrecht already won a race among the pro's, beating Albasini and EBH.

Vanhoucke is the other guy and is still an espoir (supposed to turn pro 1st of July but he's out with anemia).

De Plus, Wellens, Teuns... Wellens was supposed to be a GC rider, same generation of Kelderman & Aru. De Plus i still have high hopes for. He was rather impressive in his first Giro (24th) while doing a lot of work in the first week for the team. Crashed last year and was hit by a truck, is just starting to come back. Honestly, i think Benoot would do well if he were to consider focussing on GC work.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

Re:

18 Jun 2018 14:58

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:@Flamin: there were more, I'm certain of it, but most of them I forgot already. De Plus is there or thereabouts. Did Stef Cras turn pro already? Think so?
And Lambrecht won a puncheur stage, but so far nothing amazing in high mountains, although, like I said, I'm not judging him yet because he is really young and has plenty of time. Even De Plus has plenty of time, heck even Vervaeke still has plenty of time. Maybe I'm impatient or I'm just too used to U23 riders turning results instantly in this day and age with people like Latour, Oomen, Gaudu and Bernal riding results pretty much instantly.

Crass and Lambrecht both did the TDS. Lambrecht was 59 seconds ahead of Sivakov, prior to the ITT. In the mountains he lost 15 seconds in one stage and 1m5s in another stage on Kelderman and Oomen. So, that may not be amazing, but i'd say that's rather good. Crass didn't hold up too well.

18 Jun 2018 15:42

Flamin wrote:Who do you mean besides Vervaeke? Lambrecht already won a race among the pro's, beating Albasini and EBH.

Vanhoucke is the other guy and is still an espoir (supposed to turn pro 1st of July but he's out with anemia).

De Plus, Wellens, Teuns... Wellens was supposed to be a GC rider, same generation of Kelderman & Aru. De Plus i still have high hopes for. He was rather impressive in his first Giro (24th) while doing a lot of work in the first week for the team. Crashed last year and was hit by a truck, is just starting to come back. Honestly, i think Benoot would do well if he were to consider focussing on GC work.

What do Wellens and Teuns have to do with this? Wellens has a great palmares despite being only 27 yo. Teuns was excellent last year.

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:@Flamin: there were more, I'm certain of it, but most of them I forgot already. De Plus is there or thereabouts. Did Stef Cras turn pro already? Think so?

Cras is pro with Katusha, though not really in the league of Vervaeke, Lambrecht as an u23.

Lambrecht is not a pure climber anyway. He won multiple races by hanging on uphill and then outsprinting his opponents. Imo he has definitely met the expectations so far.

De Plus is still very young and had quite some bad luck.
User avatar Flamin

18 Jun 2018 17:50

Flamin wrote:

What do Wellens and Teuns have to do with this? Wellens has a great palmares despite being only 27 yo. Teuns was excellent last year.

Yeah. I was wondering that as well, Teuns is the guy who literally won three stage races in as many weeks last year.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

19 Jun 2018 02:40

Flamin wrote:What do Wellens and Teuns have to do with this? Wellens has a great palmares despite being only 27 yo. Teuns was excellent last year.

RedheadDane wrote:Yeah. I was wondering that as well, Teuns is the guy who literally won three stage races in as many weeks last year.

The original quote was "Crazy thing is Belgian U23 riders have been doing extremely well in climbing tours for a while now the last few years. Yet none of them seem to really have that bit of extra at the pro's (yet)."
I may have a different opinion of what constitutes good results in "climbing tours" than you, but in my book, Wellens isn't a GC/GT rider. He can have a go at some classics and hunt for stagewins, sure. But this isn't what the original discussion was about, imo. Teuns remains to be seen, had a good year last year in small tours, i just added his name because i thought maybe DT was talking about him as well.

Re:

19 Jun 2018 03:44

What about Eijssen? Seems like he was talked about but never really went anywhere.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

19 Jun 2018 06:29

Flamin wrote:What do Wellens and Teuns have to do with this? Wellens has a great palmares despite being only 27 yo. Teuns was excellent last year.

RedheadDane wrote:Yeah. I was wondering that as well, Teuns is the guy who literally won three stage races in as many weeks last year.

The original quote was "Crazy thing is Belgian U23 riders have been doing extremely well in climbing tours for a while now the last few years. Yet none of them seem to really have that bit of extra at the pro's (yet)."
I may have a different opinion of what constitutes good results in "climbing tours" than you, but in my book, Wellens isn't a GC/GT rider. He can have a go at some classics and hunt for stagewins, sure. But this isn't what the original discussion was about, imo. Teuns remains to be seen, had a good year last year in small tours, i just added his name because i thought maybe DT was talking about him as well.

I don't see DT talking anywhere about GC/GT riders in particular in that quote, but merely about them not having that bit of extra at the pro's. Which obviously disqualifies Wellens and, to a (much) lesser extent, Teuns. Although one could make a case for the latter if he never reaches his 2017 level again.

Anyway, it just seems like we interpreted DT's post in a different way.
User avatar Flamin

19 Jun 2018 06:33

jaylew wrote:

What about Eijssen? Seems like he was talked about but never really went anywhere.

Yeah though that's one helluva long time ago since he was an U23 :)
User avatar Flamin

19 Jun 2018 11:10

Flamin wrote:Anyway, it just seems like we interpreted DT's post in a different way.

I guess so. I assumed, since he was talking about "climbing tours" at U23, that he meant the same discipline at pro.

Also (somewhat unrelated) how exactly do you mean that Lambrecht isn't a pure climber? The guy finished 2nd in the Tour de l'Avenir only 1 minute behind Bernal... Do you mean in the same way as a typical mountain goat, but then, about 80% in GT GC top 10 aren't climbers either. Obviously he can climb, or at least he can ride a climb fast, which is all that matters. He only lost 1m20s in the TDS on Kruiswijk, Kelderman... in the mountain stages and he only recently turned 21.

19 Jun 2018 15:12

Flamin wrote:Anyway, it just seems like we interpreted DT's post in a different way.

I guess so. I assumed, since he was talking about "climbing tours" at U23, that he meant the same discipline at pro.

Also (somewhat unrelated) how exactly do you mean that Lambrecht isn't a pure climber? The guy finished 2nd in the Tour de l'Avenir only 1 minute behind Bernal... Do you mean in the same way as a typical mountain goat, but then, about 80% in GT GC top 10 aren't climbers either. Obviously he can climb, or at least he can ride a climb fast, which is all that matters. He only lost 1m20s in the TDS on Kruiswijk, Kelderman... in the mountain stages and he only recently turned 21.

I meant that his main strength isn't necessarily the high mountains. He seems to cope even better with punchier stages/finishes. Atm that is.
User avatar Flamin

19 Jun 2018 16:19

Flamin wrote:I meant that his main strength isn't necessarily the high mountains. He seems to cope even better with punchier stages/finishes. Atm that is.

A bit like Valverde then ;)

24 Jun 2018 00:08

User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

25 Jun 2018 00:56

DNP-Old wrote:Image

Probably wanted to be back in time to watch the WC football.

25 Jun 2018 07:54

This one's interesting:
"In juli rijd ik alleszins het EK bij de junioren in Tsjechië. Dat staat vast, omdat ik tot 31 juli alleszins junior blijf. Nadien blijven alle opties open. Ik verwacht dat er deze maand nog witte rook komt", laat Evenpoel bij HLN in zijn toekomstplannen kijken.

Het is vooral uitkijken naar zijn beslissing omdat dit bepaalt of hij het WK bij de junioren of bij de beloften gaat rijden. "Een wereldtitel als junior spreekt uiteraard aan. Jasper Stuyven was de laatste die daar als Belg in slaagde. Anderzijds kan ik misschien meer leren als belofte. We zien wel. Het zou wel fijn zijn als ik de Nations Cup zou kunnen winnen."

While the UCI said he is not allowed to transfer from the junior to the U23 ranks midseason, it looks like he might be making a transfer after all. It doesn't literally say what the plan is, so this is just me guessing, but he might make a promotion from July 31st on and be granted dispensation. It's likely we'll hear the verdict at the end of the month.

He'll ride the European Championships (12-15 July) with the juniors, and that might be his last race in said rank. Since he's been talking about winning the Nations Cup all season, I reckon he'll start in General Patton (5-7 July) as well.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

26 Jun 2018 01:30

DNP-Old wrote:This one's interesting:
"In juli rijd ik alleszins het EK bij de junioren in Tsjechië. Dat staat vast, omdat ik tot 31 juli alleszins junior blijf. Nadien blijven alle opties open. Ik verwacht dat er deze maand nog witte rook komt", laat Evenpoel bij HLN in zijn toekomstplannen kijken.

Het is vooral uitkijken naar zijn beslissing omdat dit bepaalt of hij het WK bij de junioren of bij de beloften gaat rijden. "Een wereldtitel als junior spreekt uiteraard aan. Jasper Stuyven was de laatste die daar als Belg in slaagde. Anderzijds kan ik misschien meer leren als belofte. We zien wel. Het zou wel fijn zijn als ik de Nations Cup zou kunnen winnen."

While the UCI said he is not allowed to transfer from the junior to the U23 ranks midseason, it looks like he might be making a transfer after all. It doesn't literally say what the plan is, so this is just me guessing, but he might make a promotion from July 31st on and be granted dispensation. It's likely we'll hear the verdict at the end of the month.

He'll ride the European Championships (12-15 July) with the juniors, and that might be his last race in said rank. Since he's been talking about winning the Nations Cup all season, I reckon he'll start in General Patton (5-7 July) as well.

If he turns U23 in August, can / will he change teams as well? If so, that'd mean he can only race in the US, in case he choses Axel Merckx's team, no? Wondering what he'd ride second part of the summer.

26 Jun 2018 13:54

DNP-Old wrote:This one's interesting:

If he turns U23 in August, can / will he change teams as well? If so, that'd mean he can only race in the US, in case he choses Axel Merckx's team, no? Wondering what he'd ride second part of the summer.

Honestly, I have no clue whatsoever. This is all smoke and mirrors. If he does indeed go U23, he would be able to ride l'Avenir for instance with the Belgium NT. With Lambrecht doing the Vuelta and Vanhoucke pretty much done for the year, I'd like to see him try.
User avatar DNP-Old

26 Jun 2018 14:23

Thanks, that was basically why i was asking.

26 Jun 2018 16:28

Officials moeten koers zelfs inkorten omdat supertalent Evenepoel zo ver voor de tegenstand uit reed

Remco Evenepoel (18) blijft met orkaankracht door de juniorencategorie razen. Zaterdag ging het supertalent uit Schepdaal in het naburige Roosdaal al van in de openingsronde solo en won hij met liefst zes minuten voorsprong. De kloof met de rest van het deelnemersveld was in die mate gegroeid dat er voor de officials niets anders opzat dan de wedstrijd in te korten, omdat de veiligheid op het parcours anders niet meer kon worden gegarandeerd. Gisteren was het weer raak na een solo, deze keer in Rekkem.

Evenepoel wordt deze week verwacht op de wielerbond, om het over zijn toekomst te hebben. In principe wordt hij vanaf 1 augustus prof bij het Hagens Berman-Axeonteam van Axel Merckx en Koos Moerenhout, waardoor hij op het WK in Innsbruck kan uitgespeeld worden in de U23-kern rond Bjorg Lambrecht. Belgian Cycling ziet Evenepoel echter liever voluit voor de wereldtitel bij de junioren gaan. De federatie speelt bovendien, naar analogie met een gelijkaardig project in de jaren negentig, met het idee om een eigen beloftenploeg uit te bouwen rond Evenepoel, geleid door huidig bondscoach Kevin De Weert. Daarmee zou het in de loop van het seizoen de grootste en belangrijkste races op de internationale U23-kalender (zoals de Toekomstronde) kunnen rijden.

Voor de overstap naar Hagens Berman-Axeon moet Evenepoel trouwens eerst nog groen licht krijgen van de Internationale Wielerunie (UCI). Volgens de letter van het reglement mag een renner pas toetreden tot het profpeloton in het jaar waarin hij 19 wordt. Een leeftijd die Evenepoel pas bereikt op... 25 januari 2019. De UCI stond wel al een uitzonderingsmaatregel toe met de Brit Thomas Pidcock. Bedoeling is om Evenepoel vervolgens op 1 januari 2020 te laten doorstromen naar Quick.Step Floors. Teammanager Patrick Lefevere heeft wel de optie om de renner op elk mogelijk moment in de ploeg te kunnen nemen.

- Officials had to shorten the race, because Evenepoel was too far ahead of the peloton :o
- He can only turn pro in the year he turns 19 (2019), though UCI had granted Pidcock dispensation too.
- If so, he could be added to the selection for the WC U23 in support of Lambrecht, though "Belgian Cycling" would rather see him go for the championship in the Junior ranks. The federation is considering to build a team around him.
- January 1st 2020, he 'd go to Quickstep.

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing