Register

The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

27 Sep 2018 23:59

Go up in smoke...always a possibility, but after the show today, a very small one. I'm a believer.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

28 Sep 2018 00:26

I've always admired cadets beating elites. Remco's one of them.
He has the potential and talent, the guidance is what will determine his success.
User avatar sir fly

Re:

28 Sep 2018 00:36

sir fly wrote:I've always admired cadets beating elites. Remco's one of them.
He has the potential and talent, the guidance is what will determine his success.

True. And the ability to manage expectations. The title of this thread says it all. And some great prospects have crumbled under the weight of being "The New Merckx".
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

28 Sep 2018 00:42

Bavarianrider wrote:Oh, yet another text book example of a guy stuck in a Kids Body already training huge hours. Give him another 3 years and he'll go up in smoke like all the other guys of his type before.

Maybe read/watch the interview with his coach before making assumptions.

Anyway, after last season, there was a bigger junior team that wanted to reel him in, but he refused out of gratitude to his team, that gave him a chance.
His parents also came across as down to earth, humble and grateful people, in an interview with Sporza. His father also started off by thanking the team.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

Re: Re:

28 Sep 2018 03:36

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
boomcie wrote:
Logic-is-your-friend wrote:So, i handclocked the time from the crash until he got on his bike. This was exactly 1m30s. After that there was a replay of the crash, once this was over, the camera was back on Evenepoel, and it looked like he still had an issue and wasn't on his way yet. No idea what had happened in between (since there was a replay showing) but by the time he eventually got back on track, 2m10s had passed.

He went back/ waited for someone to retrieve his Garmin. This is no joke.

lol... ok, so that means he was 2 minutes and 10 seconds behind.

lartiste wrote:Where the replay is available?

Depending on your country, you can watch it in Belgium through VRTnu, or in Europe if you have a Belgian VRT account.

Some countries can watch it here (but not in Belgium), maybe through a VPN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=k7yeNiqg-Qs

Others, i don't know.

armchairclimber wrote:Watching the replay. It's unreal. Like the Amazing Wilson meets Roy of the Rovers.... meets Merkx, obviously.

As a big fan/believer, sometimes (like today) it's actually scary, and somewhere you start to fear that this might turn out to be a clinic case. But then, his dad quit pro cycling because he didn't want to compete in an EPO era.

Well, your last statement isn't 100% correct. In an interview with Het Nieuwsblad, his father said: " I knew where to get the stuff, but couldn't afford it."
rghysens

28 Sep 2018 06:40

Tonton wrote:Go up in smoke...always a possibility, but after the show today, a very small one. I'm a believer.

I am a believer now too.

I mean, he could suffer some traumatic injury or sickness or get a liking for cocaine or something, but just on physicality there has to be something there, he's such an outlier.

I would be shocked if he doesn't at least become a very good pro.
User avatar spalco
Veteran

28 Sep 2018 06:43

I've always wondered if Quick Step is the right place for his development just like Mas. If he want to target the GC in GT's in the future, would the team need to give him a decent team to compete? I can't see him running away with races like he does now when he gets amongst the grown ups. I think both Mas and Remco would have been better going to a team that concentrates more on GT GC's than one that seems to concentrate on classics/Monuments and the odd stage race. But the question is what does HE want to achieve and is it possible with where he is going?
wheresmybrakes

28 Sep 2018 07:52

wheresmybrakes wrote:I've always wondered if Quick Step is the right place for his development just like Mas. If he want to target the GC in GT's in the future, would the team need to give him a decent team to compete? I can't see him running away with races like he does now when he gets amongst the grown ups. I think both Mas and Remco would have been better going to a team that concentrates more on GT GC's than one that seems to concentrate on classics/Monuments and the odd stage race. But the question is what does HE want to achieve and is it possible with where he is going?

To answer your question - yes. Quickstep is doing superb at developing riders as well as Mas' development on their team was great.
ppanther92

28 Sep 2018 08:17

ppanther92 wrote:
wheresmybrakes wrote:I've always wondered if Quick Step is the right place for his development just like Mas. If he want to target the GC in GT's in the future, would the team need to give him a decent team to compete? I can't see him running away with races like he does now when he gets amongst the grown ups. I think both Mas and Remco would have been better going to a team that concentrates more on GT GC's than one that seems to concentrate on classics/Monuments and the odd stage race. But the question is what does HE want to achieve and is it possible with where he is going?

To answer your question - yes. Quickstep is doing superb at developing riders as well as Mas' development on their team was great.

This. Mas' development has been superb so absolutely no worries about evenepoel
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

28 Sep 2018 09:23

Uran and Poels also did relatively well as GC riders on QS.

Only failures were one hit wonders like Pecharroman etc
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

28 Sep 2018 09:25

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:So, i handclocked the time from the crash until he got on his bike. This was exactly 1m30s. After that there was a replay of the crash, once this was over, the camera was back on Evenepoel, and it looked like he still had an issue and wasn't on his way yet. No idea what had happened in between (since there was a replay showing) but by the time he eventually got back on track, 2m10s had passed.

He turned back to get his power meter..
Naico

28 Sep 2018 10:40

Well, he gave up football because things didn't go his way. Could possibly happen next year.
Baldinger

28 Sep 2018 11:43

wheresmybrakes wrote:But the question is what does HE want to achieve and is it possible with where he is going?

"I have only been cycling for a year and a half, so I still have a lot to learn, I hope to stay in the shadows and to grow, it is my dream to win all three grand tours"
http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/wereldkampioen-remco-evenepoel-ik-wist-dat-ik-mayrhofer-ging-lossen/
Tim Booth

28 Sep 2018 12:14

Quick Step seems like a reasonable fit considering he has very little experience with riding in a peloton.
Breh

Re:

28 Sep 2018 12:45

Baldinger wrote:Well, he gave up football because things didn't go his way. Could possibly happen next year.

I've thought about this a lot as well, but he once said that he was a bit disgusted (paraphrasing) by the way they cast him aside without ever explaining why (he was the team captain prior). So, it's not just about "not going his way", as in not being able to cope with losing. I think he's proven to be exceptionally strong mentally. The way he's been coping with the pressure of the past few months, and yet he just became Belgian champion ITT and RR, European champion ITT and RR and now World champion ITT & RR. And especially the Euro and World RR really show that. At the Euros, he just rode away 10 minutes. At the Worlds, he kept cool as a cucumber while his rivals rode away 1&1/2 minutes, never panicked, went back to get his Garmin and lost another 40 seconds, then went from a lost position to total domination in about 30 km.

He's confident but realistic and he knows his body. I somehow doubt he would just bail out of cycling, like he did football, because as a sport, it's much more straight forward. The only way i could see him quit cycling, would be further down the road, when he's 22-23 and all the guys he's leaving in the dust now, have caught up with him. I think he's well aware that his current domination doesn't mean he can start dominating WT races in his first (two/thee) year(s).

28 Sep 2018 13:54

Youth football is extremely cutthroat. There's such a large base of players, and a truly global base of players, that almost everyone is expendable. That means nothing.
User avatar spalco
Veteran

28 Sep 2018 17:03

Gotta say, skipping the proper u23/Continental circuit strikes me as a very bad idea. It doesn't usually work and I can't see any benefits of doing it.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

Re:

28 Sep 2018 17:42

hrotha wrote:Gotta say, skipping the proper u23/Continental circuit strikes me as a very bad idea. It doesn't usually work and I can't see any benefits of doing it.

Does it really matter if he can still chose his program and ride u23 races like l'Avenir? They are not going to put him in 260km classics or the TDF. They will put together a schedule tailor-made for him, with the added benefit of growing within a team that has tons of experience to coach him. Both riders and entourage.

28 Sep 2018 17:58

Quickstep seems quite good at developing talents, and they have the advantage of not needing him to make results in big races right away.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Re:

28 Sep 2018 18:07

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
hrotha wrote:Gotta say, skipping the proper u23/Continental circuit strikes me as a very bad idea. It doesn't usually work and I can't see any benefits of doing it.

Does it really matter if he can still chose his program and ride u23 races like l'Avenir? They are not going to put him in 260km classics or the TDF. They will put together a schedule tailor-made for him, with the added benefit of growing within a team that has tons of experience to coach him. Both riders and entourage.

No one who skips the u23/Conti scene goes straight to racing 260 km classics or the TDF, still doesn't usually work out so hot for them. No, his racing program won't be just as if it would have been otherwise.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing