Register

The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

06 May 2018 13:07

I don't care if this guy (kid) is a junior, he is insane and we need to get the hype started. Secure your place on the bandwagon when it's still early, because Evenepoel is about to take over the entire cycling world. The things he does as a junior per se are beyond great, but this is a guy (kid) who had never even touched a race bike until April of last year(!).

Just this week, Evenepoel destroyed everything in his path. First he became the U19 Belgian TT champion, with a time that would have landed his #1 in the U23 time trial as well, and then he won Course de la Paix - one of the more prestigious U19 races - in dominating fashion. He won two of the four stages in the process, first securing the W in the time trial, proceeded by a huge solo in today's ultimate stage, putting minutes into everyone.

Here goes the next Eddy Merckx.
User avatar DNP-Old

06 May 2018 13:10

Fird

Considering he's a junior, I imagine it'll take a while to see him in the Pro Tour?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

06 May 2018 13:11

Red Rick wrote:Fird

Considering he's a junior, I imagine it'll take a while to see him in the Pro Tour?

He's going to Axeon next year, so you might see him in some well known races like Utah, for example.
User avatar DNP-Old

06 May 2018 14:03

Just read his story, was a football player and captain, but when he was sidelined he just chose the sport of his father.

His father beat Bartoli and Bugno in his youth, but then the 90ties started and he was nowhere because they were on clinic stuff.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re: The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

06 May 2018 14:05

I'm usually not a fan of starting hypetrains too early but if people call him the new Mercx this has to end well...
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

06 May 2018 14:08

When Axel brings out the big guns (see cover photo of article) to recruit you, you can definitely say you are a special talent... http://www.axeoncycling.com/news/evenepoel_signing
JoeD1997

Re:

06 May 2018 14:32

JoeD1997 wrote:When Axel brings out the big guns (see cover photo of article) to recruit you, you can definitely say you are a special talent... http://www.axeoncycling.com/news/evenepoel_signing

All I see in this picutre is Remco Evenepoel and two of his fans. ;)
User avatar DNP-Old

06 May 2018 14:52

Im not afraid of hyping people to the moon when they deserve it, even if they are super young. Hi Bernal. You gotta love when someone throws Merckx' name into the pool, thats when you know its really spicy.

Sure, lets jump on, Im intrigued.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

06 May 2018 15:22

If he wins even one tour I'll eat five raw onions in a row, other than that....great talent hope he makes it big time!
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re:

06 May 2018 16:09

GenericBoonenFan wrote:If he wins even one tour I'll eat five raw onions in a row, other than that....great talent hope he makes it big time!

does that count the Ronde van Vlaanderen? Weird statement coming from a Boonen fan suggesting that only TDFs matter.
proffate

06 May 2018 16:11

Change the title, you don't wannt jinx this kid.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re:

06 May 2018 17:24

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Just read his story, was a football player and captain, but when he was sidelined he just chose the sport of his father.

His father beat Bartoli and Bugno in his youth, but then the 90ties started and he was nowhere because they were on clinic stuff.

That's what everyone who couldn't cut it at the time says. All of them. Nobody ever admits they weren't good enough.

The reality is his youth was good but not great.
His junior/amateur career basically consisted of being repeatedly beaten by guys who weren't good enough to turn pro like Heuvelmans and Peeters, along with Serge Baguet who was a good rider but not a star.

And he wasn't of Bartoli or Bugno's generations, he's much older than Bartoli and much younger than Bugno. Never raced in the same ranks as them. When he turned pro Bugno's career was already winding down and Bartoli was still moving from juniors into amateurs.

Incidentally, his only pro win is on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avSrRbfKUhw

Anyway, I know almost nothing about Remco, but looking up his results they look extremely impressive.
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

06 May 2018 17:32

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Just read his story, was a football player and captain, but when he was sidelined he just chose the sport of his father.

Not just an average football player, he was captain of the national youth teams of Belgium.

He started with cycling just one year ago... unbelievable story.
User avatar Popchu

06 May 2018 18:30

I hope the big Belgian media leave this kid alone in the upcoming years. But this guy is definitely out of this world at this point.

Will follow him closely for sure.
User avatar Flamin

Re: Re:

06 May 2018 18:33

DNP-Old wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Fird

He's going to Axeon next year, so you might see him in some well known races like Utah, for example.

Let's hope that he won't be already past his prime at the age of 23/24, like so many other guys who rode for that team.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

07 May 2018 09:11

If he's the next Eddy Merckx, why did he start cycling?

The other one is Eduard Louis Joseph ;)
rghysens

07 May 2018 10:18

Remco in an interview this morning: "I'm not Eddy Merckx" :D
User avatar Samamba

Re:

07 May 2018 10:53

Samamba wrote:Remco in an interview this morning: "I'm not Eddy Merckx" :D

De loftrompet schalde voluit: "Het is leuk om te horen dat ze me de nieuwe Eddy Merckx noemen, maar dat is een veel te sterke bewering. Ik ben niet zoals hij: hij was een buitengewone renner en het is niet goed om mij met hem te vergelijken. Hij was hij, ik ben ik."

Lmao. :D Did my thread reach him, is the browsing these forums?
User avatar DNP-Old

07 May 2018 10:56

From last 10 editions of Course de la Paix GC, 10 best. 100 juniors. Have produced 4 top level pro cyclists. None Eddy Merckx level just yet; Van den Poel, Stuyven, Van Poppel, Cort Nielsen. Top talents from those include Oskar Svendsen, Adrien Costa, Pierre-Henri Lecuisinier..Where are they now?

Then again GC from 10 onwards shows more familiar names, Adam and Simon Yates (your typical GC complet = madison & points race world champ...), Tiesj Benoot, Florian Senechal, Valerio Conti, Michael Valgren, Dylan Teuns.. :rolleyes:

Long way to go.
memyselfandI

Re: Re:

07 May 2018 12:39

DNP-Old wrote:
Samamba wrote:Remco in an interview this morning: "I'm not Eddy Merckx" :D

De loftrompet schalde voluit: "Het is leuk om te horen dat ze me de nieuwe Eddy Merckx noemen, maar dat is een veel te sterke bewering. Ik ben niet zoals hij: hij was een buitengewone renner en het is niet goed om mij met hem te vergelijken. Hij was hij, ik ben ik."

Lmao. :D Did my thread reach him, is the browsing these forums?

More like did it reach the journalist who asked him.
User avatar Flamin

Next

Return to Professional road racing