Log in:  

Register

Early peakers

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

10 May 2018 00:03

ciranda wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:In Berzin's case because he married a filthy rich italian woman who loved to party.
After that he couldn't care less about training ever again. It was all about partying and enjoying her money and company.


As far as I remember the woman Berzin married was twenty years older and owned a used car dealership in the province Pavia. That description looks more accurate for Romans Vainsteins who married the daughter of the Vini Caldirola sponsor and pretty was much was over as a cyclist two years after he was world champ.

If I remember correctly, you had a chance to draft him, and I did. Berzin '94, over BigMig and Pantani, the greatest GT win ever. Everything else is Clinic stuff, let's not go there :) .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Moderator
 
Posts: 3,897
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re:

10 May 2018 15:21

GuyIncognito wrote:The only names that come to mind are Vanderaerden and Van Hooydonck but they're from inbetween the two Brabants, not either of them.
And I have no idea what his all time rankings are, or what the nicknames are supposed to be.
Both of them have gone by the nickname "The Cannibal". One perhaps more than the other.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton
Member
 
Posts: 1,365
Joined: 04 Aug 2014 15:25

10 May 2018 16:03

TJVG is promising on 2011. 5th GC but no more since then
toolittle
Junior Member
 
Posts: 249
Joined: 22 Mar 2011 20:01

Re: Re:

10 May 2018 17:10

carton wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:The only names that come to mind are Vanderaerden and Van Hooydonck but they're from inbetween the two Brabants, not either of them.
And I have no idea what his all time rankings are, or what the nicknames are supposed to be.
Both of them have gone by the nickname "The Cannibal". One perhaps more than the other.


Merckx as the 31 year old one then, albeit not sure I'd call him an early peaker by any shot. No idea who the other is though
craigmalone
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 23 Aug 2014 16:03

Re: Re:

10 May 2018 17:52

craigmalone wrote:
carton wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:The only names that come to mind are Vanderaerden and Van Hooydonck but they're from inbetween the two Brabants, not either of them.
And I have no idea what his all time rankings are, or what the nicknames are supposed to be.
Both of them have gone by the nickname "The Cannibal". One perhaps more than the other.


Merckx as the 31 year old one then, albeit not sure I'd call him an early peaker by any shot. No idea who the other is though


I guess he means Vos. Meh.
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,740
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

Re: Re:

10 May 2018 20:08

GuyIncognito wrote:
craigmalone wrote:Merckx as the 31 year old one then, albeit not sure I'd call him an early peaker by any shot. No idea who the other is though


I guess he means Vos. Meh.

Sorry to disappoint. Thanks for playing along, though.

Those are two of the best cyclists of all-time, IMHO. Vos hasn't won anything noteworthy on the road since she was Tom Dumoulin's age (European Championships?), and Merckx was around Wout Poels' age when he won his last big race (Milan-San Remo) - after nine months without any major results. When he won his last grand tour he was a couple of months older than Primoz Roglic.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton
Member
 
Posts: 1,365
Joined: 04 Aug 2014 15:25

Re: Re:

10 May 2018 22:22

carton wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:
craigmalone wrote:Merckx as the 31 year old one then, albeit not sure I'd call him an early peaker by any shot. No idea who the other is though


I guess he means Vos. Meh.

Sorry to disappoint. Thanks for playing along, though.

Those are two of the best cyclists of all-time, IMHO. Vos hasn't won anything noteworthy on the road since she was Tom Dumoulin's age (European Championships?), and Merckx was around Wout Poels' age when he won his last big race (Milan-San Remo) - after nine months without any major results. When he won his last grand tour he was a couple of months older than Primoz Roglic.


I don't get Vos. Shes 30, still cycling and won the Tour of Norway and European Championships last year at that age.
craigmalone
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 23 Aug 2014 16:03

Re: Re:

10 May 2018 23:01

craigmalone wrote:I don't get Vos. Shes 30, still cycling and won the Tour of Norway and European Championships last year at that age.

I mean I hope she proves me wrong. I think she's one of the best cyclists ever and I admire the way she carries herself and how she went after it in every discipline of cycling. But I haven't seen a peak Marianne Vos over the last four years.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton
Member
 
Posts: 1,365
Joined: 04 Aug 2014 15:25

Re: Re:

11 May 2018 05:05

carton wrote:
craigmalone wrote:I don't get Vos. Shes 30, still cycling and won the Tour of Norway and European Championships last year at that age.

I mean I hope she proves me wrong. I think she's one of the best cyclists ever and I admire the way she carries herself and how she went after it in every discipline of cycling. But I haven't seen a peak Marianne Vos over the last four years.


It's not her, it's the competition.
The level in women's cycling is massively higher now. Everyone involved says even 2015 doesn't compare to now.
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,740
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

Re: Early peakers

12 May 2018 14:33

To be fair to Andy, he was on top when a crash effectively ended his career. He puttered around in 2013-14, but never recovered. Without that crash, Schleck would’ve made the 2012 Tour a whole lot tougher for Wiggins. May not have won it because of the amount of TT KMs, but he was one of the top 3 climbers in the world (Contador was still number 1 entering 2012 TdF as Froome had only a podium in the Vuelta at that point).
User avatar perico
Member
 
Posts: 1,087
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 21:57

Re: Re:

15 May 2018 08:52

Tonton wrote:
ciranda wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:In Berzin's case because he married a filthy rich italian woman who loved to party.
After that he couldn't care less about training ever again. It was all about partying and enjoying her money and company.


As far as I remember the woman Berzin married was twenty years older and owned a used car dealership in the province Pavia. That description looks more accurate for Romans Vainsteins who married the daughter of the Vini Caldirola sponsor and pretty was much was over as a cyclist two years after he was world champ.

If I remember correctly, you had a chance to draft him, and I did. Berzin '94, over BigMig and Pantani, the greatest GT win ever. Everything else is Clinic stuff, let's not go there :) .


That was fun. No I think he was already chosen when it was my turn and I went with Roberto Heras.

Did Hinault say cycling is a contact sport? He must have jacked that from Bourdieu.
User avatar ciranda
Member
 
Posts: 424
Joined: 25 Jun 2012 16:33

Previous

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: archa55, Bot. Sky_Bot, Bye Bye Bicycle, ColonelKidneyBeans, DanielSong39, davebqvst, DFA123, Dumpoulin, fauniera, Gigs_98, infeXio, Jagartrott, jsem94, Laplaz, Nick C., PapaD, ppanther92, Ragerod, Red Rick, SafeBet, Smachinho_, SpeciaaliJussi, staubsauger, Stella0596, Vino attacks everyone, YavorD and 153 guests

Back to top