Register

2018 Giro d'Italia stage 8: Praia a Mare - Montevergine 209k

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

12 May 2018 15:29

HelloDolly wrote:It wasnt an easy climb ...it was ridden at speed

and I think there are alot of riders in places from 10 down who could have attacked for the stage

Exactly, all the more reason why it would have been very hard to attack, and very probably a waste of energy. Only four or five names in the top 30 would have benefitted from an attack, i.e people who aren't going for gc, aren't a team mate and don't have trust in their sprint
Brullnux
Veteran

Re: 2018 Giro d'Italia stage 8: Praia a Mare - Montevergine

Pinot Grigio swiped 4 seconds with the time bonus at the end. Worth the effort expended? I think it was a good move -- he didn't have to go too deep for it.
User avatar JosephK

Re: Re:

Brullnux wrote:

and I think there are alot of riders in places from 10 down who could have attacked for the stage

Exactly, all the more reason why it would have been very hard to attack, and very probably a waste of energy. Only four or five names in the top 30 would have benefitted from an attack, i.e people who aren't going for gc, aren't a team mate and don't have trust in their sprint

The gruop was 40 man strong.

It wasn't ridden that hard.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

12 May 2018 15:30

Serious question/s. Why do they always have this climb during the first week?

If it was included during week 3, would the main group contain not just less than thirty riders, but less than ten?
User avatar gregrowlerson

12 May 2018 15:30

Carapaz like a rocket, well impressed.
bigcog

Re:

12 May 2018 15:31

gregrowlerson wrote:Serious question/s. Why do they always have this climb during the first week?

If it was included during week 3, would the main group contain not just less than thirty riders, but less than ten?

Look at the 2011 Giro, and the difference between Macugnaga and Montevergine, though the specifics of the last 5km matter a lot.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

12 May 2018 15:32

Red Rick wrote:
Brullnux wrote:

I didn't think so either, and a solo winner is more than I was expecting so I don't understand why everyone is complaining
Brullnux
Veteran

12 May 2018 15:33

Yes it was ridden hard and secondly a rider like Formolo or Woods could have gone for the stage..or Wellens or a few others
especially if as you guys inssit it was EASY

If Carapaz could have done it ...it was possible
HelloDolly

12 May 2018 15:34

Brullnux wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Brullnux wrote:

I didn't think so either, and a solo winner is more than I was expecting so I don't understand why everyone is complaining

Me neither.

But I think most teams prefer to keep their last domestique behind just in case and wait it out. Unlike say Col de Manse, where the finish is downhill and attacking and being caught on the final km of the climb doesn't really have reverse implied odds.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

12 May 2018 15:35

BTW I am not complainoing but asking why it didnt happen

And not accepting the answers that seem to be ....no I know best
HelloDolly

Re:

12 May 2018 15:36

gregrowlerson wrote:Serious question/s. Why do they always have this climb during the first week?

Because it is far away from the regions that usually host the last week of the race
ice&fire

12 May 2018 15:38

Betencur lost time again ??

Must be losing morale
HelloDolly

Re:

12 May 2018 15:39

HelloDolly wrote:Betencur lost time again ??

Must be losing morale

He didn't lose time.
User avatar DNP-Old

12 May 2018 15:42

DNP-Old wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:Betencur lost time again ??

Must be losing morale

He didn't lose time.

I know tried to delete but wouldnt let me
HelloDolly

12 May 2018 15:59

Nice move and great win for Carapaz.

Not too boring to watch. I thought that the remnants of the break would be caught at the kite and was hoping that Pozzovino and Thinard Pinault would mix it up.

Big day tomorrow. Froome is the big question mark. Can the climbers gain time on Dumourain? If not, TD will be the winner of the day, regardless of who wins the stage.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

12 May 2018 16:05

Tonton wrote:Nice move and great win for Carapaz.

Not too boring to watch. I thought that the remnants of the break would be caught at the kite and was hoping that Pozzovino and Thinard Pinault would mix it up.

Big day tomorrow. Froome is the big question mark. Can the climbers gain time on Dumourain? If not, TD will be the winner of the day, regardless of who wins the stage.

This should give a much better idea of Froome's form. Multiple climbs and a long stage. Not sure what happened to him today but he seemed to be the only one having trouble keeping his bike upright.
movingtarget
Veteran

12 May 2018 16:20

movingtarget wrote:
Tonton wrote:Nice move and great win for Carapaz.

This should give a much better idea of Froome's form. Multiple climbs and a long stage. Not sure what happened to him today but he seemed to be the only one having trouble keeping his bike upright.

Well, it's Sky in the Giro.
User avatar tobydawq

12 May 2018 16:52

Nothing ever happened on this climb, even in early 2000, it is too easy for any kind of attack.
User avatar Peccio89

12 May 2018 17:28

Nice win by Carapaz. With his inexperience I didn't expect anything from him in this Giro.
User avatar Koronin

12 May 2018 17:33

I wonder what went through the minds of some DS's after Froome's crash.
"Froome crashed, was then seen being on the radio after which his teammates went to the front. That must mean he is feeling good"
Seriously, Froome has done those bluff moves so many times now and people still don't get it. I understand it in cases like Peyragudes last year where people just didn't have a reason to assume he feels bad, but today, right after his team came to the front my first thought was, he is bluffing, the others have to attack. Of course it's easier to say now, but really, what did other teams have to lose. I think MS still had both Kreuziger and Nieve in that group, so why on earth didn't they just tell them "set an absolute monster pace for the remaining kilometers and let's see what happens" The worst outcome would have been the same they have now too: Nobody gained time on anyone.

Anyway, congrats to Carapaz who really has a breakthrough year. The fact that Carapaz is still so drastically improving makes me think he isn't anywhere near his peak yet and could have a very bright future.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing