Register

2018 Giro d'Italia stage 8: Praia a Mare - Montevergine 209k

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: 2018 Giro d'Italia stage 8: Praia a Mare - Montevergine

12 May 2018 17:52

LaFlorecita wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Looks perfect for Tim Wellens.

I wonder if Battaglin can survive this.

Wellens yes... battaglin no way surely

Heh, you might want to revise that comment :D
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

12 May 2018 18:03

Gigs_98 wrote:I wonder what went through the minds of some DS's after Froome's crash.
"Froome crashed, was then seen being on the radio after which his teammates went to the front. That must mean he is feeling good"
Seriously, Froome has done those bluff moves so many times now and people still don't get it. I understand it in cases like Peyragudes last year where people just didn't have a reason to assume he feels bad, but today, right after his team came to the front my first thought was, he is bluffing, the others have to attack. Of course it's easier to say now, but really, what did other teams have to lose. I think MS still had both Kreuziger and Nieve in that group, so why on earth didn't they just tell them "set an absolute monster pace for the remaining kilometers and let's see what happens" The worst outcome would have been the same they have now too: Nobody gained time on anyone.

Anyway, congrats to Carapaz who really has a breakthrough year. The fact that Carapaz is still so drastically improving makes me think he isn't anywhere near his peak yet and could have a very bright future.

I don't get this all the time. He's constantly making errors, but nobody punishes them. Ain't got nothing to do with fair play. He made a mistake cornering last year before Peyragurdes, he stupidly slides away today. If someone makes a mistake, then the opponents should immediately drop the hammer. Even his constant mechanicals arguably must come from poor shifting. Even if not, if his other faults get punished he likely never wins the 2017 Tour. Instead his opponents constantly wait for him and offer him to strike with his strengths later on. That's not racing. Someone needs to teach him / them that!
User avatar staubsauger

12 May 2018 18:24

staubsauger wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:I wonder what went through the minds of some DS's after Froome's crash.
"Froome crashed, was then seen being on the radio after which his teammates went to the front. That must mean he is feeling good"
Seriously, Froome has done those bluff moves so many times now and people still don't get it. I understand it in cases like Peyragudes last year where people just didn't have a reason to assume he feels bad, but today, right after his team came to the front my first thought was, he is bluffing, the others have to attack. Of course it's easier to say now, but really, what did other teams have to lose. I think MS still had both Kreuziger and Nieve in that group, so why on earth didn't they just tell them "set an absolute monster pace for the remaining kilometers and let's see what happens" The worst outcome would have been the same they have now too: Nobody gained time on anyone.

Anyway, congrats to Carapaz who really has a breakthrough year. The fact that Carapaz is still so drastically improving makes me think he isn't anywhere near his peak yet and could have a very bright future.

I don't get this all the time. He's constantly making errors, but nobody punishes them. Ain't got nothing to do with fair play. He made a mistake cornering last year before Peyragurdes, he stupidly slides away today. If someone makes a mistake, then the opponents should immediately drop the hammer. Even his constant mechanicals arguably must come from poor shifting. Even if not, if his other faults get punished he likely never wins the 2017 Tour. Instead his opponents constantly wait for him and offer him to strike with his strengths later on. That's not racing. Someone needs to teach him / them that!

This is why you need a stone cold opportunist like Nibali, when he smells blood he goes for it.
Last edited by Mayomaniac on 12 May 2018 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

Re:

12 May 2018 18:28

Koronin wrote:Nice win by Carapaz. With his inexperience I didn't expect anything from him in this Giro.

Thats because you expected way too little of him then... especially after Aragon where he won the MTF in very convncing fashion. Yeah, against mediocre competition, but still. The rest of his season also speaks of a rider who is progressing all the time and with the Vuelta in the bank last year (where he did super well, all things considerd) made him one of the most obvious 'surprises' of the Giro. Even danish experts and podcasters has spoken about him, then you know whats up.

Super happy for him. Lets see what he has tomorrow, but Im ESPECIALLY looking forward to what he is able to on Zoncolan!!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Re:

12 May 2018 18:36

Valv.Piti wrote:
Koronin wrote:Nice win by Carapaz. With his inexperience I didn't expect anything from him in this Giro.

Thats because you expected way too little of him then... especially after Aragon where he won the MTF in very convncing fashion. Yeah, against mediocre competition, but still. The rest of his season also speaks of a rider who is progressing all the time and with the Vuelta in the bank last year (where he did super well, all things considerd) made him one of the most obvious 'surprises' of the Giro. Even danish experts and podcasters has spoken about him, then you know whats up.

Super happy for him. Lets see what he has tomorrow, but Im ESPECIALLY looking forward to what he is able to on Zoncolan!!

I didn't think he had enough experience. The competition at Aragon I didn't put much into what he did there. I thought something like this might be possible in another year or two from him.
User avatar Koronin

12 May 2018 19:47

Mayomaniac wrote:
staubsauger wrote:

This is why you need a stone cold opportunist like Nibali, whhen he smells blood he goes for it.

Ain't called lo squalo for nothing;)
User avatar ferryman

12 May 2018 21:04

Thats fair, but sometimes experience doesn't mean much when you simply has the legs. And he does that, but he was obviously also allowed to go up the road - I doubt he is tomorrow.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

12 May 2018 23:16

Peccio89 wrote:Nothing ever happened on this climb, even in early 2000, it is too easy for any kind of attack.

This.

There were riders that are further back in GC that could have attacked and didn't. So maybe it was ridden fast and was hard for these type of riders to attack.

As for the GC riders I thought it was worthless to spend energy attacking in this type of mountain with low gradients when everyone had teammates to pace the chasers back. It just didn't make sense at all. This was a day for a rider like Carapaz and he won.

Some people complained about the design of this stage when it first came out because it didn't do anything for the spectacle. I can agree partially with the bad design. To fully agree we have to wait and the consequences tomorrow. We'll see.
Last edited by Escarabajo on 12 May 2018 23:19, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

12 May 2018 23:18

Valv.Piti wrote:Thats fair, but sometimes experience doesn't mean much when you simply has the legs. And he does that, but he was obviously also allowed to go up the road - I doubt he is tomorrow.

I agree, I doubt they let him go tomorrow. Today, he was far enough down that they didn't think they needed to worry about the time he might gain.
User avatar Koronin

13 May 2018 00:56

staubsauger wrote:

Froome crashes and makes errors a lot in every GT and they never punish it, every time Contador made a mistake several teams with lesser GC guys always smashed him. Does Froome dog have a Lance Armstrong control over the peleton?
Scarponi

13 May 2018 01:09

Mayomaniac wrote:
staubsauger wrote:

This is why you need a stone cold opportunist like Nibali, when he smells blood he goes for it.

What should have happened reminds me of the 2009 Giro where Armstrong makes a long bridge of a gap to the group of elite riders including Sastre. The moment Armstrong makes contact with the group Sastre attacks leaving Armstrong in his wake. As soon as Sky and Froome had made their presence known in the main pack someone(s) should have attacked immediately.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

13 May 2018 01:12

Going to let Froome hang around long enough to find his form in Week 3 and win this. Pretty sad.
woodburn

14 May 2018 19:49

So, apparently this happened during the stage.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

14 May 2018 19:53

RedheadDane wrote:So, apparently this happened during the stage.

how?
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

14 May 2018 22:45

TourOfSardinia wrote:

how?

Apparently they hid behind a wall...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

18 May 2018 05:45

TourOfSardinia wrote:

how?

More detail on this bit of fun. Hansen and Wellens decided to play Hide and Seek after trying to catch the break and realising they couldn't and were out of sight of peleton turned off into a caravan park. They hid until the peloton went by and pulled back out into the team cars before coming back up to the front and surprising everyone. Most found it funny but not MS who had been pulling at the front to get them back not wanting 3 Lotto FixAll riders joining up in the break.
sprints n stones

Previous

Return to Professional road racing