Register

Giro 2018 2nd Rest Day - Winner Poll

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Who will win the overall?

Poll ended at 15 May 2018 16:40

Yates
22%
Chaves
16%
Dumoulin
35%
Pinot
22%
Pozzovivo
1%
Carapaz
1%
Lopez
No votes
Froome
3%
Aru
No votes
Others
No votes

Total votes : 118

13 May 2018 19:01

Voted for Yates, unfortunately. There is no hope for my Dark Knight.. :cry:
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

13 May 2018 19:04

Dumoulin mentioned multiple times that he specifically didn't want to react to the attacks because of the altitude. Nobody really did any sustained effort today apart from Pozzovivo, and Yates ate by far the least wind in the final kms. He definitely looked less impressive in this weekend than on the Etna.

I'm still sceptic about Chaves cause he indeed never has seemed great enough uphill to make up for his terrible ITT.

Pinot might score a miracle win but I don't understand how he polls better than Yates.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

13 May 2018 19:22

Red Rick wrote:Dumoulin mentioned multiple times that he specifically didn't want to react to the attacks because of the altitude. Nobody really did any sustained effort today apart from Pozzovivo, and Yates ate by far the least wind in the final kms. He definitely looked less impressive in this weekend than on the Etna.

I'm still sceptic about Chaves cause he indeed never has seemed great enough uphill to make up for his terrible ITT.

Pinot might score a miracle win but I don't understand how he polls better than Yates.

Because everyone seem to love Pinot for some reason. He would indeed have to pull a miracle win, but he is extremely consistent and can hunt for bonus. Would be a meh winner tho, but I feel like everything can happen. Haven't completely written Froome or MAL of either.

Yates definitely didn't look as good, but on the other hand, he was pretty amazing on Etna.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 May 2018 19:56

Valv.Piti wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Dumoulin mentioned multiple times that he specifically didn't want to react to the attacks because of the altitude. Nobody really did any sustained effort today apart from Pozzovivo, and Yates ate by far the least wind in the final kms. He definitely looked less impressive in this weekend than on the Etna.

Because everyone seem to love Pinot for some reason. He would indeed have to pull a miracle win, but he is extremely consistent and can hunt for bonus. Would be a meh winner tho, but I feel like everything can happen. Haven't completely written Froome or MAL of either.

Yates definitely didn't look as good, but on the other hand, he was pretty amazing on Etna.

Pinot is the man in the middle of the spectrum between the punchy and the diesel. Won't lose as much time as Yates (and Pozzo, Lopez, Chavez...) in the TT, and won't lose as much time on the big mountains as Domoulin.

People are also skeptical of Yates's ability in the third week.

In that sense, there is some safety and reliability in picking Pinot.
More Strides than Rides

13 May 2018 20:07

MS have an amazing team here too, Haig, Nieve, Kreuziger and to an extent Chaves to help Yates in the mountains, that is not bad at all.
User avatar Poursuivant

13 May 2018 20:09

Valv.Piti wrote:

Pino is consistent until he's not. MS, Yates and Chaves have all the cards to play, if they play it well like a team and can keep a similar form till the end, Yates wins. Pozzo will make a solid top 5 as usual, he needs to invent something to get higher but I don't see him as an adventurer. Tom can win if he doesn't loose his cool when he'll be attacked left and right, he is though the only one who actually won the damn thing once. Froome is done.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

13 May 2018 20:37

[quote="[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2257487#p2257487]Valv.Piti[/url Because everyone seem to love Pinot for some reason. He would indeed have to pull a miracle win, but he is extremely consistent and can hunt for bonus. Would be a meh winner tho, but I feel like everything can happen. Haven't completely written Froome or MAL of either.

Yates definitely didn't look as good, but on the other hand, he was pretty amazing on Etna.[/quote]
A meh winner? I challenge you to a duel Valv.Piti :mad: ...

LaFlo can tell a Champion when she sees one, unlike many here. Tibipino is Il Grandissimo. He shall crush the field and show no mercy. Bow before his greatness, or be destroyed!

Nice to see that he's getting a little love, it hasn't always been the case...

Dumoulin still is the man to beat.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

13 May 2018 20:43

Sticking with Dumoulin
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

13 May 2018 20:50

I'm not sure Pinot will do better in the ITT than Yates...
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

13 May 2018 20:50

Last year at this point Dumoulin was 30s back from Quintana after 1 (i cannot count Etna) serious mt stage. In 3rd place.
Now he is 3rd at 38 from Yates after 2 serious mountain stages. I think he's still man to beat, BUT, Yates looks better than Quintana last year, AND, there's Zoncolan, which I'm not too sure if Dumoulin can limit the damage there.

edit: I would like to add that I can see Yates fading in week 3, but being replaced by Pinot.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

13 May 2018 20:54

Yates, because he looks like the best climber at the moment. However he needs to take more time on the Zoncolan, not just another 10 seconds. There's a danger that he might fade in the third week. Keeping two irons in the fire is good for M-S. It would be great if Yates and Chaves attacked together on the Finestre. Pinot looks like a certainty for the top 4, but he will need to attack hard in the mountains if he wants to win.
La fatica in montagna per me è poesia (Fatigue in the mountains is poetry to me) - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kunt ge geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere
User avatar Pantani_lives

13 May 2018 21:46

Pinot.
He was consistent last year even in less than ideal conditions. So I'm betting on him being as consistent as last year but a little better (cool weather will help him).

Dumoulin is in a very similar position to last year, but with almost 40 less TT km to gain time on his rivals. Very likely to be on the podium, but needs to improve a little to win it.

Yates looks great atm but I'm not sure he can keep it up for two more weeks. Same goes for Chaves. If they don't fade it's probably a 1-2, considering how strong tgeir team is.

I actually believe Lopez still has a chance to win the Giro if he hits peak shape at the right time. Current time gaps are nothing. I keep reading posts about riders being out of contention because they're two minutes behind. With two weeks to come and every relevant stage still to be raced. You guys can't be serious. This is the Giro.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re: Giro 2018 2nd Rest Day - Winner Poll

13 May 2018 21:58

fauniera wrote:Voted Chaves, with Pinot a close second. My pre race favorite Lopez doesn't appear to be in top shape, but who knows.

As long as the climbers defeat the time trialists, i will be happy with the outcome

I can be happy with this as well! :)
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

13 May 2018 22:01

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Last year at this point Dumoulin was 30s back from Quintana after 1 (i cannot count Etna) serious mt stage. In 3rd place.
Now he is 3rd at 38 from Yates after 2 serious mountain stages. I think he's still man to beat, BUT, Yates looks better than Quintana last year, AND, there's Zoncolan, which I'm not too sure if Dumoulin can limit the damage there.

edit: I would like to add that I can see Yates fading in week 3, but being replaced by Pinot.

Don't forget there is one less TT!
I think that's the big difference.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

13 May 2018 22:11

Dumoulin must still be the clear favourite. He’s ridden a very smart race to this point.

Unlike most, it seems, I think the best chance for his opponents is not Zoncolan but the day after, Stage 15, where there is a possibility of Yates, Chaves and a couple of others isolating and distancing Dumoulin with 40-50km to go. To me that is the best chance they have of getting the advantage they will need for the time trial. While Dumoulin will likely lose time on Zoncolan, he can grind his way up and won’t lose a huge chunk.
The Barb

14 May 2018 06:14

Thursday's & Friday's stages have a grand total of 0 mountain points = pancake flat, so apart from mechanicals or poopy stops they'll be not a lot of GC movement before Saturday. Tuesday's stage 11 could produce some small gaps.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

14 May 2018 12:32

Originally I picked Pinot, but I wasn’t expecting this type of performance by Yates. Yates seems really confident and White is a good leader. I think they have a decent shot at pulling the win off. I’d be happy with that. If they do crack a little, I give it to Pinot.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

14 May 2018 12:41

Escarabajo wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Last year at this point Dumoulin was 30s back from Quintana after 1 (i cannot count Etna) serious mt stage. In 3rd place.

Don't forget there is one less TT!
I think that's the big difference.

Not having toilet gate also means a 2 min difference, but on the other side. So I'm not so sure that's the big difference
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

14 May 2018 12:50

SafeBet wrote:Pinot.
He was consistent last year even in less than ideal conditions. So I'm betting on him being as consistent as last year but a little better (cool weather will help him).

Dumoulin is in a very similar position to last year, but with almost 40 less TT km to gain time on his rivals. Very likely to be on the podium, but needs to improve a little to win it.

Yates looks great atm but I'm not sure he can keep it up for two more weeks. Same goes for Chaves. If they don't fade it's probably a 1-2, considering how strong tgeir team is.

I actually believe Lopez still has a chance to win the Giro if he hits peak shape at the right time. Current time gaps are nothing. I keep reading posts about riders being out of contention because they're two minutes behind. With two weeks to come and every relevant stage still to be raced. You guys can't be serious. This is the Giro.

Great post, I agree with all of this. One thing with Pinot I think is that he needs to try to go from far on one of the mountain stages to try to gain really big time, and I'm not sure he will. In the last couple of years he seems more to rely on his sprint and fast finish to gain a few seconds here or there. I think he will have to take risks, which could backfire, in order to win. But he definitely has the potential to do it imo. At least I hope so.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

14 May 2018 12:56

We have yet to see Pinot tested downhill
del1962
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing