Register

2018 Giro d'Italia stage 11: Assisi – Osimo 156 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

16 May 2018 15:13

RedheadDane wrote:Chris Juul-Jensen (about Yates): "He's as cool as a polar bear's toenails."
Is that a common saying in English?

lmfao NO but I'm gonna start using it from now on :lol:
The Chicken

16 May 2018 15:15

Froome is a long way from being my favourite rider but I am impressed that he seems determined to continue. He looks skinnier than at the start.
User avatar armchairclimber

Re:

slosada wrote:The fanboyism from Waterloo, the chicken and the other new user account, is reaching record levels. Hating a teammate that is very likeable because it's perceived as a menace for their own agenda, hating a GT rival for being able to keep the distance short...

At this rate, you guys will succeed at making us cheer against Yates

Indeed. The Yates fanclub has gone from barely existent to the most annoying in the whole forum real quick.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re: 2018 Giro d'Italia stage 11: Assisi – Osimo 156 km

Gigs_98 wrote:
Laplaz wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:Ugh, really hoped for a good stage today :(

Well, we can'expect carnage every day...

No but for the exact reason that there was carnage yesterday and that the gc teams don't want to chase I expected a huge breakaway today. It just puzzles me that so many teams are therefore satisfied with this break. Pretty much every team which is stagehunting should have tried to put a man in the break. And additionally riders which aren't that far down in the gc could have used that situation trying to snatch the pink jersey. These L'Aqulia like stages don't happen often however yesterday's stage was a perfect set up for one, but the set up simply wasn't used

The stage was fine - I thought the break would go early and they'd get to 8-10 minutes but instead it took nearly 40 kms of racing for the break - Do you realise you have contradicted yourself in your post.
yaco

16 May 2018 15:17

I don't know what's funnier ... the lipstick marks or the cod Englishman abroad Italianglish.
User avatar armchairclimber

Re:

16 May 2018 15:18

slosada wrote:The fanboyism from Waterloo, the chicken and the other new user account, is reaching record levels. Hating a teammate that is very likeable because it's perceived as a menace for their own agenda, hating a GT rival for being able to keep the distance short...

This part seems especially silly, considering that the people involved by all accounts get along very well.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

16 May 2018 15:18

Very good finale, much better than the typical murito finish.

I'm very glad that those who should have been in a break but chose to stay in the pack and have their teams chase, ended up with absolutely nothing.

This is shaping up to be a great duel - I like the Di Luca/Menchov comparison. We'll need Zonc for confirmation though.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 15:19

SafeBet wrote:Dumoulin is a beast on these hills. Hardly surprising he could limit his losses.

Yes, people are forgetting when he first came to GC fame at the 2015 Vuelta.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

Re: Re:

16 May 2018 15:20

Alexandre B. wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:Impressed by DUMO. Yates looks extremely strong still. Pinot a little disappointing today but not a disaster. We can finally write off Froome.
Exciting last few km although I would have liked to see Luisle win.

Sort of sums up Pinot. He leaks too much time on stages where he shouldn't.

Thibaut is not a puncheur.

No and the final climb caught out out quite a few GC riders. Wellens attack was a total miscalculation.
movingtarget
Veteran

16 May 2018 15:21

Dumoulin is a very likeable rider. Not boring at all. He is going to win this. The race has barely started and his form is on the rise.
Climber123

TMP402 wrote:
SafeBet wrote:Dumoulin is a beast on these hills. Hardly surprising he could limit his losses.

Yes, people are forgetting when he first came to GC fame at the 2015 Vuelta.

Yeah, plus that very similar finale with cobblestones like today, where he put in trouble Aru (the day before the disaster).
User avatar Climbing

Re:

RedheadDane wrote:Chris Juul-Jensen (about Yates): "He's as cool as a polar bear's toenails."

Haha, no. CJJ is just a zany guy.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 15:24

OutKast reference! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NywdVBwzurU
Juul-Jensen is a cool dude.
hulkhogansknees

16 May 2018 15:26

movingtarget wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:Impressed by DUMO. Yates looks extremely strong still. Pinot a little disappointing today but not a disaster. We can finally write off Froome.
Exciting last few km although I would have liked to see Luisle win.

Sort of sums up Pinot. He leaks too much time on stages where he shouldn't.

Thibaut is not a puncheur.

No and the final climb caught out out quite a few GC riders. Wellens attack was a total miscalculation.

well, in his daily blog Wellens said that he wasn't expecting to be able to fight for the win, having pain in the knee, the neck and a headache. So an early move was probably his only chance - especially in hindsight, as even in top shape he couldn't have kept up with Yates today anyway
User avatar search

Re:

movingtarget wrote:Dumoulin was holding the gap but Yates impressive yet again.Seems like game over for Froome for good this time. Wellens attack was optimistic. Not sure why he didn't wait till closer to the finish. Decent ride also by Dennis.

This is true about almost every race he ever rides.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

Re:

I don't hate anyone. My point about Chaves costing Yates time on Etna is right though. And my point about Dumoulin is also right. How can you root for the guy who never animates the race? Jeez, you probably hated watching Pantani. :confused:
The Chicken

16 May 2018 15:28

Brave ride by Yates to go so early and a super ride by Dumoulin to limit the damage.
yaco

16 May 2018 15:35

So Maximilian Schachmann ...eh ?...super rider
Future Strade Bianche winner me thinks ...as well as other classics
HelloDolly

16 May 2018 15:35

It's important that MS are patient on Zoncolan and ride a steady tempo - It's a tough climb and riders eventually fall off the peleton - Put pressure on too early and you may blow up - My view is if Yates keeps the same form he has a podium wrapped up, drops a little and its top 5, falls off a cliff and its top 10.
yaco

Re:

16 May 2018 15:47

yaco wrote:It's important that MS are patient on Zoncolan and ride a steady tempo - It's a tough climb and riders eventually fall off the peleton - Put pressure on too early and you may blow up - My view is if Yates keeps the same form he has a podium wrapped up, drops a little and its top 5, falls off a cliff and its top 10.

It depends on what he wants. Does he want to try and actually win the race or is he satisfied with a podium. Given his strength I would suggest he has to go for the win and put Dumoulin under pressure before the TT. To do this he needs to take at least another 1:00-1:30. If MS ride tempo they will simply be playing into Dumoulin's hands. Dumoulin will just ride to limit losses knowing he will have enough in hand to take pink in the TT.
ontheroad

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing