Register

2018 Giro d'Italia stage 11: Assisi – Osimo 156 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

16 May 2018 17:54

If he had the legs to do so, he could have attacked sooner. Nothing stopped him from doing so that didn't also stop the attack he actually made.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 17:54

The Chicken wrote:On Etna Yates could've gone way earlier than 2KM but ofc we all know an off script Chaves wrecked that possibility. If Yates has even 80% of his Etna form he'd be capable again of attacking way before 2KM to go point. Trouble is Dumoulin is miraculously getting stronger. *rolls eyes*

Ok , well you lost the benefit of the doubt here. This is just trolling.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

Re: Re:

16 May 2018 17:56

Valv.Piti wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:Impressed by DUMO. Yates looks extremely strong still. Pinot a little disappointing today but not a disaster. We can finally write off Froome.
Exciting last few km although I would have liked to see Luisle win.

You sure? Im not writing any of Lopex, Aru and Froome of just yet. I first wanna see them on a real mountain stage

I'll write off everyone but Dumo, Yates and Pinot.
We know the ceiling for Pozzo and unless he pulls a Horner we know that He is not going to win.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 17:59

The Chicken wrote:On Etna Yates could've gone way earlier than 2KM but ofc we all know an off script Chaves wrecked that possibility. If Yates has even 80% of his Etna form he'd be capable again of attacking way before 2KM to go point. Trouble is Dumoulin is miraculously getting stronger. *rolls eyes*

Last edited by Escarabajo on 16 May 2018 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

16 May 2018 18:01

Great stage today, classic Dumoulin diesel vs high octane flying black pudding, it was a nail biter for sure. 200m more of the flats and I think it would be even. I still feel like Yates could crack, best case scenario would be him and major Tom popping together and bring everyone back in contention before the itt:p The giro delivers year after year!

BTW please stop feeding the chicken. I mean, seriously...
«Sky helped for the GC, so did BMC - a lot of teams tried but one rider isn't enough. Not against De Gendt. He's like 10 riders.»
Oude Geuze

16 May 2018 18:07

Valv.Piti wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:Impressed by DUMO. Yates looks extremely strong still. Pinot a little disappointing today but not a disaster. We can finally write off Froome.

You sure? Im not writing any of Lopex, Aru and Froome of just yet. I first wanna see them on a real mountain stage

I have trouble seeing Froome and Aru really bounce back, they seem to lack both the explosiveness (won't be too bad on a hard mountain stage) and the ftp (that's a deal breaker) and while Aru seems to get a little bit better, Froome isn't. Their only hope is some Nibali level voodoo, but only Nibs can do that.

Escarabajo wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:

I'll write off everyone but Dumo, Yates and Pinot.
We know the ceiling for Pozzo and unless he pulls a Horner we know that He is not going to win.

Who knows about Pozzo, he might pull a 2013 Vuelta TT out of his hat, that would put him right back with Yates and ahead of Pinot.
Last edited by ColonelKidneyBeans on 16 May 2018 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
ColonelKidneyBeans

16 May 2018 18:13

I agree that out of these three, Lopez is the most likely to get to compete for the win while Aru is pretty unrealistic at this point tbh. Froome is somewhere in between those two.

But seriously, the hardest climb so far has been.. Etna? There are 4 very hard mountain stages left + Nevoso. Things can change rapidly, especially in the Giro. The weather can also play tricks and some might react differently...
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

16 May 2018 18:26

Man, you guys gotta stop feeding the troll. I have "The Chicken" blocked, but I end up reading his nonsense before I realize you've quoted him
More Strides than Rides

Re:

16 May 2018 18:34

Valv.Piti wrote:I agree that out of these three, Lopez is the most likely to get to compete for the win while Aru is pretty unrealistic at this point tbh. Froome is somewhere in between those two.

But seriously, the hardest climb so far has been.. Etna? There are 4 very hard mountain stages left + Nevoso. Things can change rapidly, especially in the Giro. The weather can also play tricks and some might react differently...

The weather might play tricks yep, but apart from Lopez (who might still suffer because of his "meh" bike handling skills) neither Froome nor Aru like the cold and the rain too much, i could see Aru having a third week resurrection like in 2015, but Froome would surprise me, right now it isn't just that he can't follow accelerations, it's that he is in trouble as soon as the pace picks up, had they not watched each other a bit after the attacks on the Etna he would be even further back IMO, today he had problems following even before the last climb, and with the Zonc being before the rest day, he is unlikely to improve there. But it's cycling, and it's the Giro, so you never know true.
ColonelKidneyBeans

Re:

16 May 2018 18:54

Let's meet in the clinic for that. Remember whose from those two riders has already proven he's won a GT? And...Why am I even feeding you ffs?
Krokro

16 May 2018 19:07

Fun stage today, and super win for Yates.

All teeing up for a cracking last 10 days.
Andy262

Re:

16 May 2018 19:10

yaco wrote:Dumoulin is such a boring rider he can win the Eneco Tour which is your combination of cobbles and Ardennes racing - Doubt any of the other GC riders could win the Eneco Tour.

I think Nibali or Valverde could IF either of them ever would go it. However, due it's time frame being so close or overlapping la Vuelta Valverde will never go to it.
Last edited by Koronin on 16 May 2018 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Koronin

16 May 2018 19:22

Koronin wrote:
yaco wrote:Dumoulin is such a boring rider he can win the Eneco Tour which is your combination of cobbles and Ardennes racing - Doubt any of the other GC riders could win the Eneco Tour.

I Nibali or Valverde could IF either of them ever would go it. However, due it's time frame being so close or overlapping la Vuelta Valverde will never go to it.

Nibali actually was 3rd overall in 2006, but that was thanks to a very strong TT
ColonelKidneyBeans

16 May 2018 20:12

Excellent win by Yates!
To be honest, now, I don't really care who will win it.
But that would be one of current Top-4, and I hope - the most explosive/brave warrior taking into account the whole Giro, if not - one with the most impressive win, maybe at Zoncolan.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

16 May 2018 20:18

I am sorry for writing this as it shouldn't be in the thread. But how do you block people on this Forum?. The Chicken has the dumbest logic i have seen for a long time and would be happy if i couldn't see his posts any morel
Frankschleck

Re:

16 May 2018 20:18

You keep referencing some "script" that Chaves didn't follow. Where is this "script" and where can I find the same for all the other teams so that I can see what their plans are for each stage?
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 20:20

Oude Geuze wrote:Great stage today, classic Dumoulin diesel vs high octane flying black pudding, it was a nail biter for sure. 200m more of the flats and I think it would be even. I still feel like Yates could crack, best case scenario would be him and major Tom popping together and bring everyone back in contention before the itt:p The giro delivers year after year!

BTW please stop feeding the chicken. I mean, seriously...

My bad. I just keep feeling the need to rescue him from himself and bring him to the light. :p
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re: 2018 Giro d'Italia stage 11: Assisi – Osimo 156 km

16 May 2018 20:24

Remember when we all wondered why trek was working? Apparently we weren't the only ones wondering as Tim Wellens liked this twitter post :D
https://mobile.twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/996757513835089920

Btw the first trek rider to finish was brambilla in 24th place 40 seconds behind Yates :lol:
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 20:24

Nibali was 3rd in 2006. But yes, if you ask me, Dumoulin is one of the strongest riders of all time
EroicaStradeBianche

16 May 2018 20:43

IMO a rider who's MO is gaining time in the TTs and limiting his losses in the mountains, is bound to be somewhat boring. Fortunately, to counter this, the other GC contenders are forced to ride in an interesting style.
Tarnum

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing