Log in:  

Register

Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

11 Oct 2018 07:36

OlavEH wrote:
Eshnar wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
So basically the Gavia south descent is the most Zomegnan thing that ever happened?

that actually happened, probably yes. That and Gardeccia.


What was so special about Gardaneccia? The totality of the stage or the climb itself?

- 5 major climbs
- Fedaia
- 230 km
- It came 2 days after a Grossglockner finish, and 1 day after a Zoncolan finish
- Contador was attacking for shits and giggles from 80km out
- Fedaia
- Nibali was doing yoyo's by attacking on descents, getting dropped uphill, getting back and immediately attacking downill again
- The weather was **** through major parts of the day.

Image
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

11 Oct 2018 07:57

I remember watching this stage tuning in around Giau and just going wtf. This was when I was a huge Antón fan so I was a bit sad, but man, this stage was just epic and probably the best overall GT stage I have seen.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,532
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

11 Oct 2018 07:58

Certainly was the most brutal stage I ever saw on tv.
User avatar Climbing
Member
 
Posts: 1,823
Joined: 08 Jun 2010 08:18

Re: Re:

11 Oct 2018 08:33

Red Rick wrote:
- 5 major climbs
- Fedaia
- 230 km
- It came 2 days after a Grossglockner finish, and 1 day after a Zoncolan finish

So totality then.

Definitely the most epic stage I've ever seen. The closest thing to this have to be a couple of the Mortirolo stages in course of the years and the Chianale stage in 2003. The latter also had really bad weahter, snow on the top of Sampeyre.
OlavEH
Member
 
Posts: 603
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 06:52

Re: Re:

11 Oct 2018 09:05

OlavEH wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
- 5 major climbs
- Fedaia
- 230 km
- It came 2 days after a Grossglockner finish, and 1 day after a Zoncolan finish

So totality then.

Definitely the most epic stage I've ever seen. The closest thing to this have to be a couple of the Mortirolo stages in course of the years and the Chianale stage in 2003. The latter also had really bad weahter, snow on the top of Sampeyre.

Also, lot of really long stages, insane transfers, and no single team was really strong.

But yeah, the true marathon mountain epics are going out of style, and instead the Giro is really starting to go for 120 different variations of Mortirolo/Aprica.

I don't mind it, it's miles better than what other GTs bring, but keep a little bit more variation please.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Re:

11 Oct 2018 10:16

Red Rick wrote:
But yeah, the true marathon mountain epics are going out of style, and instead the Giro is really starting to go for 120 different variations of Mortirolo/Aprica.

I don't mind it, it's miles better than what other GTs bring, but keep a little bit more variation please.


Agreed. You don't need 3 or 4 220km, 5000 height meters stages tok make it a good GT, but at least one would be okay. Especially in the Giro. Right now the Grand Tours are getting more and more similar. Shorter stages which is supposed to encourage aggressive cycling.
OlavEH
Member
 
Posts: 603
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 06:52

11 Oct 2018 21:33

New bomb of Beppe Conti:
After the Cuneo-Pinerolo there will be a stage from Pinerolo to Lago Serru.

Image

The Colle del Nivolet without the last 6 km.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz
Member
 
Posts: 1,557
Joined: 06 Apr 2016 08:06

Re:

11 Oct 2018 21:59

Laplaz wrote:New bomb of Beppe Conti:
After the Cuneo-Pinerolo there will be a stage from Pinerolo to Lago Serru.

Image

The Colle del Nivolet without the last 6 km.

I thought sheer climb duration and altitude were the only cool things about Nivolet.

But Conti gonna Conti
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

12 Oct 2018 05:29

Since I was thinking exactly of the Nivolet when I put the ??? in Option 3, I tend to believe this :D
Sad that the last few kms are missing though.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator
 
Posts: 8,711
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Bodensee

12 Oct 2018 05:50

In other News, today a local article confirms Carpi - Novi Ligure. If anything, it fits nicely.

1. Bologna - S.Luca (8.2 km ITT)
2. Bologna - Fucecchio
3. Vinci - Orbetello
4. Orbetello - Frascati
5. Frascati - Sabaudia
6. Cassino - S.Giovanni Rotondo
7. Vasto - L'Aquila
8. Tortoreto Lido - Pesaro
9. Riccione - S.Marino (34.7 km ITT)
rest
10 Ravenna - Modena
11 Carpi - Novi Ligure
12 Cuneo - Pinerolo
13 Pinerolo - Colle del Nivolet (Lago Serrù)
14 Ivrea - Courmayeur
15 St. Vincent - Como(or surroundings)
rest
16 Lovere - Ponte di Legno
17 Val di Sole - Anterselva
18 Dobbiaco - S. Maria di Sala
19 Treviso - S. Martino di Castrozza
20 Feltre - Passo Croce d'Aune (or above)
21 Verona - Verona (15 km ITT)
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator
 
Posts: 8,711
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Bodensee

Re: Giro d'Italia 2019 rumors

12 Oct 2018 06:33

So Giro 2019's key stages will be:

9. San Marino (ITT)
13. Nivolet (MTF)
14. Courmayeur
16. Ponte Legno
20. Croce D'Aune


What about the Appenines?

Stages to Aquila usually favours break aways with no GC-action. Not even in the last kilometers.
Any idea how stage 8 will look in profile?
Kyllingen86
New Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 17 Sep 2016 13:22

Re:

12 Oct 2018 08:26

Eshnar wrote:Since I was thinking exactly of the Nivolet when I put the ??? in Option 3, I tend to believe this :D
Sad that the last few kms are missing though.

I just thought Nivolet was one of those climbs that were rumoured every year but never happening in a million years.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Re:

12 Oct 2018 08:33

Red Rick wrote:
Eshnar wrote:Since I was thinking exactly of the Nivolet when I put the ??? in Option 3, I tend to believe this :D
Sad that the last few kms are missing though.

I just thought Nivolet was one of those climbs that were rumoured every year but never happening in a million years.

it is. But unlike other ever-rumoured climbs, it is actually raceable, or at least nothing prevents that. Let's say I don't trust it blindly, but I find it very possible.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator
 
Posts: 8,711
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Bodensee

Re: Giro d'Italia 2019 rumors

12 Oct 2018 08:49

Kyllingen86 wrote:What about the Appenines?

Stages to Aquila usually favours break aways with no GC-action. Not even in the last kilometers.
Any idea how stage 8 will look in profile?

If stage 8 really ends in Pesaro, don't expect much. It would be slightly hilly and probably favour attackers, but might also be a reduced sprint. Stage 6 and 7 will be much more important, but probably still not much GC Action.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator
 
Posts: 8,711
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Bodensee

12 Oct 2018 09:19

So basically this Giro looks like an amazing one week stage race in week 2.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Giro d'Italia 2019 rumors

12 Oct 2018 09:43

Don't get me wrong I always wanted to see the colle nivolet in action but if they finish at lago serru it's kinda meh. The three things that make the nivolet so interesting are the altitude the length of the climb and most importantly the scenery on the top looking down on the two lakes. The first two aspects are hampered if they don't go all the way to the top, but the third one is basically gone completely. It's still a cool mtf, but just not the extraordinary thing I was hoping for
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,725
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

12 Oct 2018 10:27

I see a 3km long tunnel in the first hard section of the climb to Nivolet. There's an parallel open road but it doesn't look well maintained. What's the chance they go through the tunnel and we miss what goes on in there?
ice&fire
Member
 
Posts: 1,312
Joined: 01 Jul 2015 19:30

Re:

12 Oct 2018 10:42

ice&fire wrote:I see a 3km long tunnel in the first hard section of the climb to Nivolet. There's an parallel open road but it doesn't look well maintained. What's the chance they go through the tunnel and we miss what goes on in there?

The chance is there. I would hope the plan is to work on the old road, but I have no info.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator
 
Posts: 8,711
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Bodensee

12 Oct 2018 10:49

Lets be real, theres no need to complain over a route thats most likely 10x better than anything the Vuelta and Tour are coming up with. Liking it so far.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,532
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

12 Oct 2018 10:51

Valv.Piti wrote:Lets be real, theres no need to complain over a route thats most likely 10x better than anything the Vuelta and Tour are coming up with. Liking it so far.

Sorry. I have to prove somebody wrong who claims I only complain about routes when Froome wins.

No doubt the route will score over 21 out of 5 on Vuelta and Tour scale, but this is Il Giro
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Axel Hangleck, Bing [Bot], Hakkapelit, Isaak-Gabriel, Libertine Seguros, Sandisfan, slosada, wansteadimp and 36 guests

Back to top