Register

Giro 2019 Route Rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

28 May 2018 08:46

OlavEH wrote:
Nirvana wrote:Last year local media said that this summer they'll pave Col Basset to use in 2019.
I think there will be a lot of stages in NW Italy considering that Friuli is not interested for 2019 and Rumors for Veneto at the moment are all in the flat part (Verona, Rovigo, Treviso).
I'd expect also a Cuneo-Pinerolo for the 70th aniversary of Coppi first Giro/Tour double.

Could Col Basset be combined with Finestre for a Basset-Finestre-Sestriere combo? Could be great if they did something like that.

Other than this, I don't hope for more mountain stages in northwest. I'm not a big fan of the stages in this part of Italy the last few years. And I'm neither a big fan of stages outside Italy and into France.

It's a about time for a proper 200 km, 5000 height meters Dolomite stage. And I'm a bit suprised of the lack of use of the tough climbs close to towns like Trento and Rovereto (Bondone, Fae/Bordala, Sommo, etc). Here it's definitely possible to create tough mountain stages, possibly with a downhill finish in one of the above-mentioned towns.

Does anyone know the exact profiles of both sides of the Basset?

And I fully agree about the Dolomites and the Trento region.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

28 May 2018 08:51

Steep. Really steep. It's a ski run in winter. Are they paving the Sestriere or Sauze side? And also it would be very hard for it to be combined with Sestriere by the side they normally take with Finestre, it would be Finestre-Basset-Sestriere via Oulx and Cesana (so this year's downhill)

A stage finish in rapallo would be my dream <3
Brullnux
Veteran

28 May 2018 09:23

Honestly I don't think I want to see Basset and Finestre in the same stage. It's stupendously hard and makes the rest of the race a lot less relevant.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Giro 2019 Route Rumours

28 May 2018 09:24

The crucial question is what side of the Basset they want to pave. If they pave the sestriere side that means sestriere could be used as a downhill finish after the Basset was approached via a sterrato road. on the finestre descent there is a small flat section where you can turn right and start another gravel climb followed by a hilly high mountain gravel road which is constantly above 2000m. That road never could have been used because to get down there you would have to descend another gravel road, the road to the col de Basset. In other words, if they pave the Basset you could put that 2nd gravel climb after the finestre and descend to sestriere where the stage could finish.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

28 May 2018 09:26

Gigs_98 wrote:The crucial question is what side of the Basset they want to pave. If they pave the sestriere side that means sestriere could be used as a downhill finish after the Basset was approached via a sterrato road. on the finestre descent there is a small flat section where you can turn right and start another gravel climb followed by a hilly high mountain gravel road which is constantly above 2000m. That road never could have been used because to get down there you would have to descend another gravel road, the road to the col de Basset. In other words, if they pave the Basset you could put that 2nd gravel climb after the finestre and descend to sestriere where the stage could finish.

I know that road.

It probably means I spend too much time making imaginary Giro routes that won't happen.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

28 May 2018 09:28

Rapallo rhymes with Crocetta :cool:

As for Basset, it's roughly 6km @ 7% on top of Sestriere. Chill.
Last edited by Netserk on 28 May 2018 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

28 May 2018 09:31

Red Rick wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:The crucial question is what side of the Basset they want to pave. If they pave the sestriere side that means sestriere could be used as a downhill finish after the Basset was approached via a sterrato road. on the finestre descent there is a small flat section where you can turn right and start another gravel climb followed by a hilly high mountain gravel road which is constantly above 2000m. That road never could have been used because to get down there you would have to descend another gravel road, the road to the col de Basset. In other words, if they pave the Basset you could put that 2nd gravel climb after the finestre and descend to sestriere where the stage could finish.

I know that road.

It probably means I spend too much time making imaginary Giro routes that won't happen.

Are you saying I spend too much time making imaginary Giro route that won't happen?
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

28 May 2018 09:34

Gigs_98 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

I know that road.

Are you saying I spend too much time making imaginary Giro route that won't happen?

Plausible.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

28 May 2018 09:45

The road you're talking about is Strada dell'Assietta. It mostly goes up but there are sections, where it goes down. You may find some stages in the Race Design Thread with this road.

Let's speculate a lil bit. There's this 70th Cuneo - Pinerolo anniversary, but in this day and age the old route isn't selective enough. Let's change Maddalena and Vars for Agnello and then do Sestriere via Basset. It should be almost 250km, roughly 6000-6200m alt gain with 3 TdF HC climbs (Agnello, Izoard and Basset). The top of Basset would be 55 to 65km from the finish (depends if Pramartino is also used). I guess that would be spiritually a bit closer to the original 1949 stage.

Interestingly, if Marseille wins the bid, then going back to France for the 2nd time would look very awkward, so i wonder if it may be the classic version of the 1949 stage, but early in the 1st week (if Izoard will be passable) as i guess Agnello (and in that case definitely not Basset) won't be accessible.
railxmig

28 May 2018 09:48

They want to pave the road that they'll use to climb Basset, the eventual sterrato will be after Basset to go up to Rifugio Fraiteve where they want the finish.
Nirvana

28 May 2018 10:42

Fresh news from the Italian forum.

Belluno province wants a 4 year plan with Tre Cime or a TT next year.
http://ricerca.gelocal.it/corrierealpi/archivio/corrierealpi/2018/05/21/belluno-tante-le-ipotesi-per-un-futuro-rosa-09.html?ref=search
Nirvana

28 May 2018 13:31

Nirvana wrote:

They want to pave the road that they'll use to climb Basset, the eventual sterrato will be after Basset to go up to Rifugio Fraiteve where they want the finish.

Oh my that would be a brutal finish. But still, is it from Sauze or Sestriere? Or does it not say? From Sauze would make it a 1600m MTF, from Sestriere it can be used with Finestre, but Finestre would only be a softener (probably).

l'Assietta is impossible, it won't ever happen. It would be a travesty to pave it (I already would rather they didn't pave Basset), and it's a not-that-commonly used road that's in bad condition, narrow and technical with big falls without barriers. It's far too dangerous.

I'd enjoy a Tre Cime finish.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

28 May 2018 13:33

Jagartrott wrote:Giro start in either Eastern Ukraine or Tibet.

Potholes and avalanches............
movingtarget
Veteran

28 May 2018 13:40

Red Rick wrote:
I know that road.

Haven't we all done that?
User avatar fauniera

28 May 2018 15:15

From what I've heard the talk was about the Basset side of Sestriere getting paved.
You could climb it from the other side, descent to Sestriere, descent further down to Cesana Torinese and use the other road that goes right by Sauze di Cesana to get back up to Sestriere (or you have that road as a descent and the other one as the final ascent), but that's probably just me also making too many imaginary Giro routes and having all kind of ideas.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

28 May 2018 15:25

Speaking of which, I'm puzzled why they changed the descent from Sestriere this year. At the presentation they were planned to descend the classic ascent, the same that was descended in 2005 and planned in 2013, but in the end they rode the one through Sauze di Cesana.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

28 May 2018 15:45

Netserk wrote:Speaking of which, I'm puzzled why they changed the descent from Sestriere this year. At the presentation they were planned to descend the classic ascent, the same that was descended in 2005 and planned in 2013, but in the end they rode the one through Sauze di Cesana.

No idea, after the descent they rode on the highway because of landslides, maybe that was also the reason why they changed the descent.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

Re:

28 May 2018 17:29

Netserk wrote:Rapallo rhymes with Crocetta :cool:

Hope so. There are a lot of possibilities in the area...
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

28 May 2018 17:30

When you were writing about Col Basset, I first thought about the road that leads along the Forte Jafferau. It starts from Bardonecchia, passes the stage finish from last week, and then ascends to the Monte Jafferau which it passes just below 2800 m (around 12.5 km @ 12 % with 25+ % maximum). The road then gradually descends to the valley with the main road to Susa. This might be slight overkill, though.
Both roads are called Basset, hence my confusion :D
Last edited by Sestriere on 28 May 2018 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Sestriere

28 May 2018 17:31

i'm hearing they are going to pay double the money for Froome next year...he's box office

that statement might be wrong...its up to you if you want to believe it
rick james

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing