Register

Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Giro 2019 Route Rumours

10 Sep 2018 17:52

Libertine Seguros wrote:
rghysens wrote:
railxmig wrote:You don't need to push for any big cols on the Antholz/Anterselva stage. Near Brunico are some nice muritos like Via Falksteiner in San Sigismondo in Pusteria and Montassilone/Tesselberg (5km at 12%) that could be an interesting warm-ups before the last climb. It would be a medium mountain stage with some serious ramps relatively close to the finish. Of course that's only a wishful thinking as i guess it'll be Tonale and Mendola in the first half and Via Pusteria (maybe with Terento?) in the 2nd half. As for Tre Cime possibly out i'm fine with that. I never really liked Tre Cime to begin with and now i'm kinda sick of it. Give it some 5 years of rest and then i may be more interested in it.

If I'm not mistaken, next year 3 Cime will have had those 5 years rest ;)

Fedaia's had 7, and that doesn't need rest.

It's why Tre Cime is never really on my wishlist. Too far from Fedaia, and the wrong side to approach it
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

10 Sep 2018 19:25

Tre Cime with San Angelo as prelude would be the ideal mtt IMHO! Better than Furcia + Corones and equal to Monte Grappa.

With 2 additional Dolomites stages, isn't there a slight possibility one of it includes Fedaia? The 2008 Fedaia mtf won by Emanuele Sella was pure awesomeness indeed!

Although the Feltre & St. Martin stages might loop around the Monte Grappa & Manghen pass region respectively, by the look at it!? But those 2 circles are quite close to each other for 2 different stages. Same could be said about Alpe di Pampeago & Fedaia in 2008 of course.

Eventually Mayomaniac, Eshnar & LS are the experts, I'm just a little passonist compared to them!
User avatar staubsauger

10 Sep 2018 21:48

rghysens wrote:If I'm not mistaken, next year 3 Cime will have had those 5 years rest ;)

I meant from now on. 10 year gap is fine with me.

I also don't get, why Fedaia has such a hype going on. It's a good climb (borderline HC in TdF's categorization) with very demanding last 5-6k at ~11%, but the hardest climb of the Marmolada region is Giau south, no competition in that. I do admit the 2008 finish was very tense and nerve wracking (especially for someone, who at the time couldn't stand Ricco and di Luca). I know the first part is in a quite picturesque gorge but then... there are like a bunch of them in Asturias (Ventana/San Lorenzo). Rather than boasting Fedaia boast San Carlo. With a possiblity of a Courmayeur finish next year it's the real deal in the room. And no, Tzecore is not awesome, it's just a fine low HC climb. However, it still should be (or Joux) a nice addition to that stage.

EDIT: maybe i'm a bit too harsh on it. I just wanted to say that i'm not as big of a Fedaia fanboy and that i don't really get the hype.

EDIT 2:
Red Rick wrote:Fedaia "Borderline HC".

Same group as Arcalis

RIP kittens

Sorry, but i don't understand it. No, Fedaia is not Arcalis and it will never be Arcalis (and that means Fedaia is much better). By borderline i meant in between cat. 1 and HC or close to that border. So in my definition Fedaia is borderline. As far as i know Fedaia is roughly 14km at 7,5% or 13,6km at 7,9% provided by the Giro 2008 profile below.

If you look by the graph provided by Danskebjerge (i have it saved but for some reason i cannot find the thread it was in) it is just above the HC curve, and that includes the recent dumbing down of the categorisation.
TdF categorisation graph by Danskebjerge.
Last edited by railxmig on 10 Sep 2018 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
railxmig

10 Sep 2018 21:54

Fedaia "Borderline HC".

Same group as Arcalis

RIP kittens
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

11 Sep 2018 05:51

Libertine Seguros wrote:
rghysens wrote:If I'm not mistaken, next year 3 Cime will have had those 5 years rest ;)

Both Tre Cime and Fedaia deserves a revisit. Or more general; it's high time for another decisive Dolomite stage with 5000m height meters. The Ortisei stage in 2017 doesn't fall into this category. The Corvara stage in 2016 is the only thing that comes close to a killer Dolomite stage since Gardaneccia in 2011. For me, the Dolomite climbs is "the heart" of the Giro and not the Western Alps, Zoncolan, Oropa, Piancavallo, etc. which have been the scene of the decisive mountain stages the last few years.
OlavEH

11 Sep 2018 08:34

OlavEH wrote:
Libertine Seguros wrote:

Both Tre Cime and Fedaia deserves a revisit. Or more general; it's high time for another decisive Dolomite stage with 5000m height meters. The Ortisei stage in 2017 doesn't fall into this category. The Corvara stage in 2016 is the only thing that comes close to a killer Dolomite stage since Gardaneccia in 2011. For me, the Dolomite climbs is "the heart" of the Giro and not the Western Alps, Zoncolan, Oropa, Piancavallo, etc. which have been the scene of the decisive mountain stages the last few years.

2012 had a big stage there as well over the Valperola, Duran, Staulanza, and Giau. It was just that the 2012 Giro was had such bad overall design that it didn't provide the action we hoped for.

Duran/Staulanza/Giau is a great combo, but can only realistically give action on the Giau. You could do the last 75km from the Sappada stage from Cortina d'Ampezzo afterwards, which would make a pretty narly stage.

And yes, I love that region too. And it's time it got some more love. It doesn't need to have the rollercoaster queen stage every time, but it gets skipped too often.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

11 Sep 2018 10:16

Red Rick wrote:2012 had a big stage there as well over the Valperola, Duran, Staulanza, and Giau. It was just that the 2012 Giro was had such bad overall design that it didn't provide the action we hoped for.

Duran/Staulanza/Giau is a great combo, but can only realistically give action on the Giau. You could do the last 75km from the Sappada stage from Cortina d'Ampezzo afterwards, which would make a pretty narly stage.

And yes, I love that region too. And it's time it got some more love. It doesn't need to have the rollercoaster queen stage every time, but it gets skipped too often.

Your're right. I forgot about that one. You had Gardaneccia in 11, that stage in 12 and originally a brutal Tre Cime stage in 13 until it was shortened due to bad weather. After that time the most of the tough mountain stages have been stages in the Western Alps or stages where all of the action happens on the last climb (Oropa, Piancavallo, Pratonevoso). I'm not that in to Zoncolan either. I much prefer Mortirolo, Finestre, etc if they are to use some of the really brutal climbs in Italy.
OlavEH

11 Sep 2018 10:30

OlavEH wrote:
Red Rick wrote:2012 had a big stage there as well over the Valperola, Duran, Staulanza, and Giau. It was just that the 2012 Giro was had such bad overall design that it didn't provide the action we hoped for.

Your're right. I forgot about that one. You had Gardaneccia in 11, that stage in 12 and originally a brutal Tre Cime stage in 13 until it was shortened due to bad weather. After that time the most of the tough mountain stages have been stages in the Western Alps or stages where all of the action happens on the last climb (Oropa, Piancavallo, Pratonevoso). I'm not that in to Zoncolan either. I much prefer Mortirolo, Finestre, etc if they are to use some of the really brutal climbs in Italy.

I care more about variety and overall solid route design. I definitely don´t need Zoncolan every 4 years, but if it´s in, I want it in the right place.

Italy has easily the biggest offer of great climbs of all the GTs, so they should use it.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

11 Sep 2018 13:32

I dont care for Mortirolo or Finestre every other year. As I have stated repeatedly, Mortirolo is the best climb in cycling and you have to look no further than to this year's Giro for confirmation that Finestre is an amazing climb as well.

12 had two brutal stages in the dolomites, both were ridden conservatively tho.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

11 Sep 2018 21:41

Anyone have a profile of Courmayeur?

I can't find any
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

11 Sep 2018 21:47

Red Rick wrote:Anyone have a profile of Courmayeur?

I can't find any

Rumours point at the possibility that the actual finish might be in Planpincieux, 5 km after the proper town.

A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

12 Sep 2018 05:48

Thats interesting as well
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

12 Sep 2018 10:15

Don't really like that over Courmayeur, I think it will slow down San Carlo action, especially as the latter isn't quite as hard as the Mortirolo.

What would come before San Carlo?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

12 Sep 2018 10:53

Red Rick wrote:Don't really like that over Courmayeur, I think it will slow down San Carlo action, especially as the latter isn't quite as hard as the Mortirolo.

User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Re: Re:

12 Sep 2018 11:01

Libertine Seguros wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Don't really like that over Courmayeur, I think it will slow down San Carlo action, especially as the latter isn't quite as hard as the Mortirolo.

This would be epic of course.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

Re:

12 Sep 2018 11:18

you're saying it like it's the Peyresourde or sth...
San Carlo is 10 km at over 10% average. Its not the Mortirolo but it's as close as it gets.

Regarding what comes before, no clue really. Depends on where it starts, because it will be a very long stage in any case.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

12 Sep 2018 11:47

Libertine Seguros wrote:

Would not should
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

12 Sep 2018 11:53

Eshnar wrote:

you're saying it like it's the Peyresourde or sth...
San Carlo is 10 km at over 10% average. Its not the Mortirolo but it's as close as it gets.

Regarding what comes before, no clue really. Depends on where it starts, because it will be a very long stage in any case.

I wouldn't like those extra 5km to Plampincieux after Aprica either :o

But it's only 25km from the top to the finish, and we get Mortirolo action anyway, so it's all good
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

12 Sep 2018 12:22

No I meant you were talking about the S.Carlo as if it was some average Peyresourde :D
I also don't like those 5 kms, but cant have everything I guess

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

14 Sep 2018 11:17

Really bad news, this should be the last 4 days.
Thu 30/5: Dobbiacco-Santa Maria di Sala (flat)
Fri 31/5: Treviso-San Martino di Castrozza(GPM Montello, S.Boldo and Fiera di Primiero)
Sat 1/6: Feltre-Passo Croce d'Aune(GPM Cima Campo, Manghen and Rolle)
Sun 2/6: Verona-Verona(ITT)
Info found on FB.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing